Mark Charlesworth - Postcards from the Snow

Started by Wickerman, October 21, 2009, 04:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johninblack

Quote from: "Wickerman"Though it should be fairy-lights
and 'Fairytale of New York',
Cruel Melodies play
the solemn stories of Somewhere Else:

Got those two, Fairytale being the obvious one? Still looking for the third.
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Wickerman

Well done, Johninblack.

The third one's a bit more obscure (and not prog-related)... but you might want to try "reading between the lines"  ;)

Pedro

"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

catherine

Mouse

Great stuff once again, Mark.  :)  Burning Sky's a Porcupine Tree song, isn't it? I'm guessing "Cruel Melodies" is the other one, but I couldn't tell you who it's by.

Wickerman

Last Christmas and Burning Sky are purely coincidental, but you're right in guessing at Cruel Melody, Mouse!  10 points, tea and biscuits to you...

Cruel Melody is the title track of one of my two favourite albums to come out from a new, youngish band this decade: Black Light Burns.  They were basically the project of Wes Borland from Limp Bizkit.  I was put off them, by association, for a long time, but they're not remotely similar.  Very elegant, dark, NIN-esque... but with more of a rock edge.

If anyone is interested in checking them out, you can listen to them (certainly in the UK) on We7: http://www.we7.com/#/artist/Black-Light ... tId=100959

johninblack

Quote from: "Wickerman"If anyone is interested in checking them out, you can listen to them (certainly in the UK) on We7: http://www.we7.com/#/artist/Black-Light ... tId=100959
I can understand you being put off. That really isn't what I would have expected. Very good isn't it?
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Wickerman

Glad to hear you liked it johninblack!  I'm really glad I ventured past the offputting Limp Bizkit connection, cause 'Cruel Melody' has received countless spins since I bought it a couple of years ago, and I reckon I still play it as much now as I did back then.  Well worth a listen, if not remotely Frostie...

...Talking of all things 'Frostie', there's a new post up over on my blog (plug, plug) featuring some snowy photographs from my local area, as well as new review of the book from the Central Lancs Writing Hub: www.markcharlesworth.blogspot.com

Thanks, as ever, for all your support guys!