Frost* Forum Collab Song v.2

Started by E.S., January 31, 2012, 04:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerg

David

Quote from: "Pedro"Yes indeed, nice idea. :)

I forgot to put up a little nonsense I did a week or more ago.....Spoons!! :D

Not proper spoon playing but some jiggery trying to make different sounds but all done using the spoons....like a cutlery drum kit....or "drum kit-lery".

//http://www.box.com/s/rcrknx3m5sdpkn7u5ioe
It's brilliant, it should be a gimmick played now and then in the song!

El_Mayonnaise

Hello all!

I have a bit of a tech question for those who know about MIDI. Ready? Let's go!

So I have a Yamaha DTXpress IV and I wanted to create some "Human-but-MIDI" drums for the project. I have them connected to my laptop using a midi to usb cable and recording them using reaper. This part is fine, I can see that all the right midi's have triggered on the midi map thing (?)

However, I've tried playing it back using Kontakt player and the Pop drum kit included with the factory selection but not all the sounds are coming out. For example, say  I've hit the ride on all 8th notes per bar, the ride sample might trigger only twice?

Any ideas?  :(

Pedro

So in 8 beats it plays on beat 1 and 5, perhaps?
I don't know the tools you are using but my first guess is a polyphony or (more likely) a re-triggering setting.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

danofmayz

Quote from: "El_Mayonnaise"Hello all!

I have a bit of a tech question for those who know about MIDI. Ready? Let's go!

So I have a Yamaha DTXpress IV and I wanted to create some "Human-but-MIDI" drums for the project. I have them connected to my laptop using a midi to usb cable and recording them using reaper. This part is fine, I can see that all the right midi's have triggered on the midi map thing (?)

However, I've tried playing it back using Kontakt player and the Pop drum kit included with the factory selection but not all the sounds are coming out. For example, say  I've hit the ride on all 8th notes per bar, the ride sample might trigger only twice?

Any ideas?  :(

Urrrrm... First off make sure each Kontakt instrument is set to the proper MIDI channel.

It's also possible that a load MIDI control changes are messing with the VST. Try going into event list mode and delete all of the 'non-note' events.

That's about all I can think of without 'playing' with it.
Follow me on Twitter! //http://twitter.com/danmvalverde @danmvalverde

El_Mayonnaise

Thanks for the super fast response guys  :D

Pedro: Yes basically not all notes are triggering. Say I did a drum fill at a constant speed at a constant velocity, not all the notes seem to trigger. I think maybe you are on to something with the retriggering or polyphony. I opened the little Kontakt player keyboard and some of the notes are held down like a chord.....

Dan: I am fairly certain all the channels are right as I do hear the correct sounds in the correct places *some* of the time. As for the second suggestion.....huh? :P I am quite new to this (I bought the cable so I could take part in the FFCSV2) so I'm not too sure what the first bit meant. The event list mode I found but there seems to be an awful lot to delete if i understand "non-note" correctly.

EDIT

Right definitely not the input as exporting the midi file and playing that in windows media player plays every single note (even though its a nice mixture of midi piano and drums)

Pedro

If you could post the midi file (or a very small clip that shows the problem) somewhere, we might see some clues?

El_Mayonnaise

I've put the midi file and the rendered file in my box space.

Interestingly with the midi file, the voices change even though I'm hitting just snare, High tom, mid tom, floor tom....

Pedro

Sounds like a note mapping issue. If the instrument kicks out different midi notes based on how hard you hit (can't think why it would...except for maybe a hi-hat?) You might hear the voice change? I'm guessing here. :)
I'll look at the file later.

El_Mayonnaise

Ah now that makes more sense to me. It's not a case of the note not being read by kontakt, its that the midi is sometimes mapping to other notes that are way out of the drum kit range....I think.

It's exactly this that put me off joining in with the first FFCS! Harumph!  :lol:

Pedro

:)
I have Superior Drummer 2.0 and there's a template I load for it to work properly with my Roland kit so it maps everything correctly. I wonder of there is something similar for your set-up? I found out about it for my set-up via one of the VDrum forums.

danofmayz

Quote from: "Pedro"Sounds like a note mapping issue. If the instrument kicks out different midi notes based on how hard you hit (can't think why it would...except for maybe a hi-hat?) You might hear the voice change? I'm guessing here. :)
I'll look at the file later.

Definitely, that! Only the notes with full velocity are being heard. All those with velocity under 100% aren't. I checked the part in Sibelius with 100% velocity on every note and everything was sounded.

Follow me on Twitter! //http://twitter.com/danmvalverde @danmvalverde

Pedro

Weird...
The piano roll I see for that midi looks like this...

...and the event list looks like this...

I'm still picking over it but the oddness includes :-
You get "Note On" messages for each hit on Channel 10, which is ok.
You also get corresponding events for "Note Off" (actually "Note On" with zero velocity which I think is supposed to amount to the same thing) messages but these are on Channel 1.
You can see in the last column that the durations for each note last until the end of the sequence, all notes overlapping on Channel 10. The "Note Off" events are having no effect (in my set-up)
There are a few non-zero velocity notes on Channel 1 as well (e.g. C4 at 00:00:07:19 with velocity 84).
When I put all the events onto a single channel, I hear the desired pattern; four beats (different pads), the same four beats again and then the four pads again but two beats on each.

Playing the midi file in Windows Media Player is useful because you hear the drum beats except for the notes on Channel 1 which are played on a piano sound.

My set-up ignores the "Note Off" ("On"+0 Vel) events and seems to prefer to use the duration data in the file.
So if I use the tweaked midi file to trigger a pad, all notes sound right to the end.

If all of this data came from your drum kit, it suggests that it has forgotten (or been re-trained) how to do stuff. A factory reset might be in order perhaps?

Apart from that, there must be information of mapping the midi from your kit to a software instrument on the web somewhere. Shouldn't be too hard to find it.

Pedro

Just been reading the manual for your kit and it seems you can program the midi note and channel for each pad/trigger input. It would be worth checking that these are set correctly.

E.S.

Hmm, this sounds very strange. I don't know what it could be, I have never tried to connect MIDI drums and mapping stuff, I just plug in a keyboard, and that's it. Hope you find a solution. :)