Main Menu

Kronos

Started by Jem, January 14, 2011, 10:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilDragon

Quote from: "keithd"Isn't Kronos the Klingons' home planet  :?

That's Qo'noS. Quite similar though.

I will just officially say that Yamaha and Roland are both officially KILLED with this outburst from Korg. Nothing to see here, we have a new king in workstations. Y and R can go suck it. :) Now every new workstation should be able to stream samples off an SSD to be competitive at all. Completely a game changer, like M1 was 22 years ago. (BTW, RAM is expandable to most likely 4 GB, since it's a dualcore Intel Atom CPU inside, which should be using off-the-shelf DDR2 or DDR3).

Kronos 61 will be a brilliant addition to my Kurzweil PC3K8! Oh wait, I didn't tell you guys I bought a Kurzweil PC3K8?! Well, I did! And it's FUCKING AWESOME!  8-)

Quote from: "Jem"Who knows what Roland have got up their sleeves for this time next year?

More accordions, Jem. More fucking accordions. Roland is as good as dead as a synth company.  :lol:

Pedro

Not dead...just resting. ;)

I watched the Kronos launch event - looks nice and the spin is impressive (I mean marketing, not what JR will do with one on a turntable!). I wonder, since I have no experience of Fantom seamless patch changes, can you seamlessly switch patches at any time or do they need to be "pre-loaded" into a "set-list" first.

Omnisphere will do seamless stuff but only between up to 8 patches loaded into the "Live mode" - I guess that is because of the loading times. If Kronos has no loading time because it's all played directly form the solid state disc, then I guess you should get seamless changes while switching patches at any time, right?  

Does this make it better than the Fantom in this respect or just equal to it?
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

EvilDragon

I think it's seamless at any time, not necessarily in the Set List mode.

And the difference is that Kronos retains ALL 16 effects between the patch changes. That's not what happens on Fantom, Fantom sacrifices half of its FX power to do the seamless change. It's more limited in that regard.

Jem

Quote from: "EvilDragon"
Quote from: "keithd"Isn't Kronos the Klingons' home planet  :?

That's Qo'noS. Quite similar though.

I will just officially say that Yamaha and Roland are both officially KILLED with this outburst from Korg. Nothing to see here, we have a new king in workstations. Y and R can go suck it. :) Now every new workstation should be able to stream samples off an SSD to be competitive at all. Completely a game changer, like M1 was 22 years ago. (BTW, RAM is expandable to most likely 4 GB, since it's a dualcore Intel Atom CPU inside, which should be using off-the-shelf DDR2 or DDR3).

Kronos 61 will be a brilliant addition to my Kurzweil PC3K8! Oh wait, I didn't tell you guys I bought a Kurzweil PC3K8?! Well, I did! And it's FUCKING AWESOME!  8-)  ;)

Quote from: "Jem"Who knows what Roland have got up their sleeves for this time next year?

More accordions, Jem. More fucking accordions. Roland is as good as dead as a synth company.  :lol:

Ah yes, I wondered when you'd wade in my friend. As calm and humble as ever.  :lol:  ;)

EvilDragon

I am calm! Just GASsing all over the place!  :lol:

MarkOneMusic

The new Korg does look stunning.

I always thought that Roland could have done so much more with the SuperNatural (TM) ARX expansion, but after a flurry of activity with the Drum ARX and the Brass ARX they seem to have quietly abandoned them.  No reason that they couldn't have  had a VK8m drawbar board, a VA analogue synth board, a SuperAnalogue Piano board, physical modelling, orchestra, etc, etc.

Anyhow, I'm used to buying into obsolescence, I bought the EMU PK6 more or less the week EMU(AKA Creative) decided that hardware synths and samplers were dead, I bought an Alesis Fusion ('nuff said) and this year the G7 - yes the year they discontinued the 7.

And given my MTBK (mean-time-between-keyboards) is around 4 to 5 (as opposed to our gracious host's, which I reckon is 0.3) The Kronos is really not something to trouble my little head about  'til around 2015.

owen

What's wrong with accordians? At least they look cool.

Pedro

"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

owen

vento

Fantom G6's have been going for a song, quite lidderally, on eBay. Three, in VGC, with cases/stands, have gone for around £1000 - £1200 in the last week or so...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

I thought the first one was just a rare eBay bargain; then the second... erm, maybe another rare eBay bargain; and the THIRD... well, maybe that's a real reflection on the second hand price now? Despite them being £2100 in't shops as a current line?

Fantom X's are still holding up well, an X6 went for £750 during the same period of time (I paid £899 for my new X6, 2 years ago!)

I'm rather surprised the middle Kronos has weighted keys. That might put some potential buyers off. My first impression on seeing the Youtube demo was "oh, right" rather than being blown away - seems funny that 29 years after the DX7, part of the official demo video proudly shows a Korg demonstrator playing a flagship synth's "DX7 bell" preset-a-like! The circle of life, eh.

rogerg

welcome, vento!!  biscuit?

vento

Hello! Yes please - do you have any Kronos biscuits? The new luxury snack with 9 different Biscuit Engines, including jam, wafer, chocolate chips, caramel, marshmallow, oats, raisins, mint cream, and a smashing orangey bit?

MarkOneMusic

Quote from: "vento"Hello! Yes please - do you have any Kronos biscuits? The new luxury snack with 9 different Biscuit Engines, including jam, wafer, chocolate chips, caramel, marshmallow, oats, raisins, mint cream, and a smashing orangey bit?

[homer mode] Mmmmmmm.... Orangey bit[/homer mode]

Jem

Well well, that's me humbled. Korg UK have been in touch and have very kindly offered to bring a prototype Kronos round to Cube Towers next month for me to have a play with.

I have to say, I'm super impressed by that. Fair play. 8-)

JakeWorrell

Quote from: "Jem"Well well, that's me humbled. Korg UK have been in touch and have very kindly offered to bring a prototype Kronos round to Cube Towers next month for me to have a play with.

I have to say, I'm super impressed by that. Fair play. 8-)

Awesome! oh to be a professional musician ;)
"The longer the note, the more dread."