How did you discover Frost*?

Started by mr_john, December 16, 2010, 10:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DueyC

Mike, your mention of Asia prompted me to work my trail back...

I met John Young at a concert in Rotherham in 1998 or 99, A couple of years later, he introduced me to John Wetton, and through him I met John Mitchell and John Beck, who were playing in his band at the time. Shortly afterwards, they formed Kino, and the first I knew of Frost* was via the Kino forum.

I never did let on to JW that I wasn't a fan of Asia  :lol:
Also to be found running the website and merch sales at www.lifesignsmusic.co.uk

Geetar

Quote from: "mr_john"
Quote from: "Julie"Kit-Kats as straws? I like your style!  :lol:

If you like that try a Twix... seriously!  :D

Oh cr*p, now I'll have to try that.
This space for sale.

Mikey

Quote from: "Julie"I never did let on to JW that I wasn't a fan of Asia  :lol:
You're in league with Tom  :D

ASIA are responsible for Frost*...............................I rest my case M'Lud

In fact Greg Lake also played in ASIA as well, though having typed that I've no idea why I said that
I used to have a signature

Mikey

Is that the concept of Asia? cheesy supergroup, or the music?

DueyC

Quote from: "Mikey"
Is that the concept of Asia? cheesy supergroup, or the music?

The music - it's a bit too stadium rock for my taste.

I'm fine with the continent  ;)
Also to be found running the website and merch sales at www.lifesignsmusic.co.uk

Pedro

"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Mikey

Quote from: "Julie"I'm fine with the continent  ;)

:lol:

I'm jet lagged, took me a while on that, couldn't stop reading it as incontinent, which might sum up Asia these days

Geetar

Indeed.

Why do you think I keep alluding to the carpet one of them carts around on tour so assiduously.........
This space for sale.

Mikey

John Wetton new solo album
John Wetton will release his sixth solo album, Raised In Captivity, through Frontiers Records on 1st July throughout Europe and 12th July in the US. The album features many guest appearances including Steve Hackett, Robert Fripp and Steve Morse...
"Raised In Captivity" celebrates yet another milestone in an extraordinary life, a stunning collection of songs reinforcing a career of over 40 years during which John Wetton has created a legacy as one of the greatest singers, musicians and songwriters ever.  Respected worldwide by fans and musical peers alike, Wetton's career included a significant period of time in the early eighties when he was the biggest selling singer in the world.    Once again characterised by the emotional impact of the material, a necessary component in all Wetton's creativity, "Raised In Captivity" continues an unrivalled career which has brought inspiration to millions worldwide.

Of the new album and choice of producer, Wetton commented, "The decision to record in Los Angeles with Billy Sherwood was entirely mine. I wanted the chaotic urban inspiration, edge and energy to juxtapose the natural beauty that California provides.  I also knew that Billy Sherwood would provide the musical and technical ability to record quickly, with ultra high energy and superb production quality."  The material was written in a variety of ways, such as "Goodbye Elsinore" was written on the Denmark-Sweden sea ferry en route to a Vilde Frang concert and "The Devil and the Opera House" is co-written with King Crimson collaborator Richard Palmer-James. The album's finale is "Mighty Rivers", featuring the enigmatic Dutch soprano Anneke Van Giersbergen and the Seattle Symphony Orchestra.

John Wetton has been a member of several prominent British bands. After two albums with Family he joined King Crimson from 1972 to 1974, before working with Roxy Music and Uriah Heep. In 1977, with former Crimson band mate and drummer Bill Bruford, he co-founded U.K., which also featured guitarist Allan Holdsworth and keyboardist/violinist Eddie Jobson.  After U.K.'s demise, Wetton turned his attentions to a solo career.

In 1982, Wetton became part of the supergroup Asia, together with Steve Howe, Carl Palmer and Geoff Downes. This "fab four" of progressive pop would rule radio and record sales, with their debut album becoming the biggest selling album of the year and yielding the worldwide hit "Heat of the Moment."  Wetton remained prolific with more solo studio albums and several collaborative efforts over the years.

In 2002 at a John Wetton fan convention held in Allentown, PA, he started working with Geoff Downes again. This collaboration ultimately resulted a series of iCon studio and live albums and the in the highly-anticipated reunion of Asia's original lineup, bringing about two successful new studio albums: PHOENIX in 2008 and OMEGA in 2010.

mkuhl2000

I first heard Frost* on Slacker Radio's Prog Rock channel.  The song was Black Light Machine and I immediately went and bought it off itunes to hear more!  Favorite track is "No Me, No You" just because of it's pure driving energy!  

As far as biscuits..I'm a "MilkBone" kind of guy...LOL!

Prog on!  

Mike

Pedro

RacingHippo

Ahhh, that's good to see - a man who knows what he wants in the biscuit department.
Welcome!
* May contain nuts.

rogerg

lyn

Off the back of a Yes (And You and I) to Porcupine Tree (Way Out Of Here) life, I went on a search for new music this time last year.  I was bored senseless with all the "people with less imgaination than you bought this easy option" offers from a well known online shop, so tried myself a three steps away strategy.  That set me off on a new track that led to the Frost reports. Unspeakably brilliant! It ended here with you lot! I bought myself EIMA and wished I lived closer to the tour venues that were left, so jealous!  I grew up in Radio Caroline world, so for me anything I haven't heard before is interesting!  It's a hard world to find these days, but I am locked firmly back in! Desparation to delerium this year tho'...thanks for that!
Frost*-Saline "these women are the best in rock" ref: you tube
aliensatemycrumpets...frost*, frost*, maximum*** frost*...
http://www.spindependence.com

Pedro