Progressive Music Awards 2012 / Guardian goes prog

Started by Trapezium Artist, August 24, 2012, 05:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trapezium Artist

Well, to be honest, I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry.

An article by a mainstream TV journalist, Gavin Esler, in today's Guardian newspaper flags the fact that he's a semi-secret prog fan who'll be hosting the "first" prog music awards:

//http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2012/aug/24/gavin-esler-prog-rock

//http://www.progrockmag.com/news/progressive-music-awards-2012-are-go/

Of course, I'm sure the CRS would have a thing or two to say about these being the "first" prog awards, but that aside, after the first flush of excitement about prog being potentially discussed positively in the Grauniad, I quickly found myself depressed by most of the article, most of the comments, and by the almost complete joke that the Prog music award ceremony looks set to be, judging from the creaking list of pre-selected nominees (apart from JM and Rob Reed, pretty much).

I mean, I like my 1970's classic prog as much as the next man for old time's sake, but what got me right back into it as an active fan, music experimenter and buyer, and concert goer in the 2000's was emphatically not the old stuff: it was the new vibrant music all of us here share and love.

Quite apart from the lack of mention of Frost*, Tinyfish, Dec, Matt Stevens etc. etc. at all  :twisted: , the whole thing (Prog and Guardian alike) sounds like it's almost completely mired in nostalgia, with just the occasional slight nod to the present, with Steve Wilson mentioned a few times and IB and Magenta once or twice.

I dunno; there's just something not quite right about it all. I have half a mind to add a comment telling people to listen to Wilf's European Perspective or some of the other shows on DLBN to get a better idea what's going on now, but then perhaps I'd rather keep this to ourselves after all ...

Sorry; not being very coherent: it's late here in Beijing and I need some sleep. Thoughts anyone?

Mikey

Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"I dunno; there's just something not quite right about it all. I have half a mind to add a comment telling people to listen to Wilf's European Perspective or some of the other shows on DLBN to get a better idea what's going on now, but then perhaps I'd rather keep this to ourselves after all ...

Sorry; not being very coherent: it's late here in Beijing and I need some sleep. Thoughts anyone?
Ditto, or Dead Nobodies

Beijing....work or play?
I used to have a signature

Pedro

It is the curse of the genre, isn't it?
The wizardy capery makes for easy column inches when you're a lazy journalist.
Good that Touchstone were mentioned...twice.

I actually think that these Prog awards are a good thing.
I know one can moan about the old guard being there but they *are* note-worthy and still producing new stuff, aren't they?
The major point is that this is another chance to get Prog mentioned in the media and, each time it happens there's a little less cape and little more current Prog.

We'll have to wait and see if the usual suspects win it all. ;)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "Mikey"
Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"I dunno; there's just something not quite right about it all. I have half a mind to add a comment telling people to listen to Wilf's European Perspective or some of the other shows on DLBN to get a better idea what's going on now, but then perhaps I'd rather keep this to ourselves after all ...

Ditto, or Dead Nobodies

Beijing....work or play?

Work, I'm afraid: was at the International Astronomical Union's General Assembly here to give a talk. Am about to head to the airport to drag myself home; been a funny old week with a very weird jet-lag pattern and I'm completely cream-crackered.

Last time I was here was 17 years ago and goodness gracious me, how it has changed. And from my personal perspective, although likely not at all from that of the Chinese, not obviously for the better. It has all become a bit big city generic; you could almost be anywhere at times. There's even an Ikea en-route from the airport.

Admittedly, I was in a big western hotel next to the China National Convention Centre which is opposite the Bird's Nest Stadium, so obviously a relatively recently redeveloped area. I spent the afternoon at the Temple of Heaven and that was very nice to visit again. Wandered through some hutongs (traditional low-slung buildings in a higgledy-piggledy fashion) in the centre of Beijing and ate some street food. That was a bit more like it, so I'm going home a bit happier.

As for the Prog awards, you're absolutely right, Pedro, to see the glass as half full rather than my half empty. You're such a shiny optimist  8-)

Pedro

Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"Wandered through some hutongs (traditional low-slung buildings in a higgledy-piggledy fashion)
You'll have to demonstrate your higgledy-piggledy wandering for us in December. ;)
Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"You're such a shiny optimist  8-)
:) Thanks, I work hard at it...

johninblack

I've noticed in these pieces that more modern bands are getting a few more column millimetres than the previous piece. I guess it needs more of the old guard talking about the new bands wherever and whenever possible. Also wouldn't hurt for the likes of Gavin Esler to become a huge Touchstone/Tinyfish/Frost*/Lazuli/Moon Safari/Arena fan.
All in all I think these awards are a good thing but they really need to emphasise the relative health of the modern Prog scene.
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Pedro

Quite right. I suspect that Gavin will be getting plenty of invites to gigs from now on.

Mikey

Quote from: "Pedro"Quite right. I suspect that Gavin will be getting plenty of invites to gigs from now on.
Do we have contact details for him, we could bombard him.

Mordwin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19492677

Ok, guess the headline is old school... but they do cover the 3 eras of prog by namechecking a few bands from each, so definitely an improvement over what we might have got in years gone by... (like, 2001 say :P)

And there was this - guess the arm? :D

Mikey

Quote from: "Mordwin"guess the arm? :D
It's not Mitchell  :D