rogerg

Ah, thanks! 

But it's hard to say "yum" after reading the process...  ;D

Mikey

Quote from: rogerg on May 05, 2016, 02:05:53 AM
Quote from: gr8gonzo on May 05, 2016, 12:44:28 AM
Quote from: rogerg on May 04, 2016, 11:52:06 PM
So it's yeast extract?  basically msg?

I've always wondered what the McAuley Schenker Group did to piss off the food police.

I wondered the same thing.
It was the change from Michael to McAuley
I used to have a signature

DueyC

Quote from: Trapezium Artist on May 05, 2016, 10:06:43 AM

QuoteThe yeast undergoes a process called autolysis, where enzymes present in the cells break down the proteins, nucleic acids, carbohydrates and other components inside the yeast cells. Autolysis is speeded up by heating the yeast to 50°C and adding salt.
After about a day most of the proteins are broken down into amino acids. At this stage the liquid cell contents, called the autolysate, are centrifuged and filtered to separate them from the cell walls. The solid residue is used for animal feed. Water is then evaporated from the liquid autolysate in condensers until it reaches the required consistency. The mixture is then blended and flavoured with vegetable extracts and packed into sterile glass jars

I used to drive past the Marmite factory in Burton on my way to work every day. It was quite aromatic  :)
Also to be found running the website and merch sales at www.lifesignsmusic.co.uk

Mikey

Quote from: DueyC on May 05, 2016, 07:31:23 PM

QuoteThe yeast undergoes a process called autolysis, where enzymes present in the cells break down the proteins, nucleic acids, carbohydrates and other components inside the yeast cells. Autolysis is speeded up by heating the yeast to 50°C and adding salt.
After about a day most of the proteins are broken down into amino acids. At this stage the liquid cell contents, called the autolysate, are centrifuged and filtered to separate them from the cell walls. The solid residue is used for animal feed. Water is then evaporated from the liquid autolysate in condensers until it reaches the required consistency. The mixture is then blended and flavoured with vegetable extracts and packed into sterile glass jars
I used to drive past the Marmite factory in Burton on my way to work every day. It was quite aromatic  :)
Can't have been as aromatic as the Mansfield Brewery, how did people drink that stuff?
I used to have a signature

JimD

Quote from: rogerg on May 05, 2016, 10:53:51 AM
Ah, thanks! 

But it's hard to say "yum" after reading the process...  ;D

If you listen to (I think) episode 11 of the Francis Dunnery Radio Show on Progzilla, he says much the same thing about eating meat!
About Me
Secret line! Who can see this? PM me!

JimD

Marmite is much more complex, containing loads of amino acids and vitamins, as well as vegetable extract, starting from yeast left over from fermentation during the brewing of beer:

I love it that Marmite is sort of a by-product of an industrial process, much like, I think, golden syrup. I've tried looking it up but can't really get it all together in a quote, but the latter has something to do with inverted sugar, and I always thought that was to do with mixing or baking things upside down when I saw it as an ingredient. Turns out (no pun intended) that the syrup can polarise light! Food as chemistry (or chemistry as food).
About Me

lyn

Marmite. Brewery waste.  Biotechnology at its finest.  Full of B vitamins.   Love it,  it had a go at  nearly killing me so avoid avoid avoid.  Enjoy it on my behalf...
Frost*-Saline "these women are the best in rock" ref: you tube
aliensatemycrumpets...frost*, frost*, maximum*** frost*...
http://www.spindependence.com

D S

Quote from: lyn on May 05, 2016, 10:56:52 PM
Marmite. Brewery waste.  Biotechnology at its finest.  Full of B vitamins.   Love it,  it had a go at  nearly killing me so avoid avoid avoid.  Enjoy it on my behalf...
Killer Marmite? :o Sounds like a song / band name if ever I heard one...
Come on, you\'re a lion!

lyn

Quote from: D S on May 06, 2016, 06:41:20 AM
Quote from: lyn on May 05, 2016, 10:56:52 PM
Killer Marmite? :o Sounds like a song / band name if ever I heard one...
Anaphalactoid Girl  by Killer Marmite and the Bad Reactions
Frost*-Saline "these women are the best in rock" ref: you tube
aliensatemycrumpets...frost*, frost*, maximum*** frost*...
http://www.spindependence.com

Jem

House points all round for the spectacular derailment. :)

manoncharles

You forgot to tell us how much you like or dislike Marmite.
A fairytale in negative

JimD

We shall soon know what I think of this. TA, look what I purchased!

About Me

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: Jem on May 06, 2016, 07:30:08 AM
House points all round for the spectacular derailment. :)

We aim to please.

I'd also say that we appear to have way too much free time on our hands, except in my case it's not true.

I've actually been time-travelling back from 2034, sometime after my retirement but prior to my senescence (which I've also seen by time-travelling forward, but the less said about that the better), adding extra posts to the forum inbetween those I actually wrote in real-time in 2016.

Which all means that I have been listening to the wondreful "Falling Satellites" for many years, and am happy to report that it has gone on to become a Christmas classic, piped throughout shopping malls from June 21 onward each year, and played badly (but adorably) by primary school string orchestras to doting, teary-eyed parents across the land.

What Jem did with all the royalties, well, that would be telling.

But I can say that it doesn't end very well for Vegemite.

rogerg

owen

a few lottery results would be nice?