Harold Camping

Started by Mikey, October 12, 2011, 11:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikey

Is there a reference to python & Nigella? ;)
I used to have a signature

Mikey

Quote from: "The Washington Post"Harold Camping says end of the world is probably today, Oct. 21, 2011
By Elizabeth Flock
Harold Camping, the Family Radio evangelist who wrongly predicted doomsday back in May, thinks the real end of the world could be today. In a message on his Web site, Camping declared that today, "at this point, looks like it will be the final end of everything." But if doomsday doesn't come today, Camping might explain it away just as he did his May prediction mistake. In another post on his site, Camping wrote that May 21 was the "spiritual" end of the world. As for the earthquakes he predicted, he says they came in the form of "man-quakes," since mankind shook with fear from the Rapture and the book of Genesis describes man as made from dirt. Catherine Wessinger, who studies doomsday groups and is the editor of "The Oxford Handbook of Millennialism," told NPR that Camping is using a common trick of doomsday leaders. When his end of the world prediction fails, she says, "the person making the prediction can give themselves a way out, sort of a backdoor way of getting out of the prediction. Or on the other hand, when nothing happens, the event can be spiritualized." While in May Camping spoke to nearly every media outlet he could, this time he's noticeably absent from the spotlight. The Christian Science Monitor reports that calls to Family Radio were not returned and his daughter e-mailed to say they would not be speaking to the press.Camping also seems to have learned how to better hedge his bets this time. "I really am beginning to think as I restudied these matters that there's going to be no big display of any kind," he said in an audio address after suffering a stroke in June. "The end is going to come very, very quietly."

He's keeping it up

Good Anniversary Pedders?

Pedro

Very nice thanks. No earthquakes or man-quakes....had a milkshake though.  :D
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

johninblack

Just a suggestion but do you think we should perhaps ignore this Camping fellow, he's 0 for 2 with end of the world predictions (that I know of) and quite frankly I can't deal with more disappointment. ;)
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Mikey

johninblack

"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

RacingHippo

I've just realised I read all of the last page or so without any of it going in whatsoever, due to my mind being entirely occupied by fantasies which Pedro inadvertently (?) sparked off.
Can't beat a bit of English muffin' after all.
* May contain nuts.

Mikey

I found another time zone

Alofi, Niue
Alofi is the capital of Niue
Current Time Friday, 21 October 2011, 23:17:05 NUT

There's a weather forecast for today/tomorrow, they don't seem to have faith in Harold either.

In 2003, Niue became the world's first "WiFi nation",

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "Mikey"I found another time zone

Alofi, Niue
Alofi is the capital of Niue
Current Time Friday, 21 October 2011, 23:17:05 NUT

There's a weather forecast for today/tomorrow, they don't seem to have faith in Harold either.

In 2003, Niue became the world's first "WiFi nation",

Speaking of time zones, I have long since fancied an expedition to the Wakhan Corridor, a long protuberance at the eastern side of Afghanistan. Marco Polo passed this way as part of the Silk Road. At its easternmost end, it rises to the Wakhjir Pass through the Hindu Kush mountains, also known as the Pamirs.

There is no road across the pass, which rises to an altitude of just shy of 5000m, in extremely rough terrain. Very few if any people struggle across the pass today, perhaps only a small handful of drugs smugglers, and, if Wikipedia is to be believed ( 8-) ), no Westerners have made their way over the pass since Harold Shipton in 1947.

One of the reason is that, quite apart from the very bad access, high altitude, and inhospitable landscape, the pass forms the short (76km) border that Afghanistan shares with China, and the latter have kept the border closed for many years. However, it is this that delivers the payoff, should one actually manage to get there.

Keeping in mind the official time zones of Afghanistan (UT+4.30) and China (UT+8.00), the Wakhjir Pass has the largest time zone change of any boundary: stepping across that line, you'd have to change your watch by a whopping 3.5 hours  :shock:

(Of course, you might think that standing at the North or South Pole, you could cross 12 hours of timezone in one step, but unfortunately [for this particular purpose], the areas around both poles are held to be in a single timezone  :( )

Mikey

Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"since Harold Shipton in 1947.

Is that pre-mass murder?

Maybe not, unless he was in his pram

Harold Fredrick Shipman (14 January 1946 – 13 January 2004) was an English doctor and one of the most prolific serial killers in recorded history with 218 murders being positively ascribed to him, although the actual number is probably much higher.
On 31 January 2000, a jury found Shipman guilty of 15 murders. He was sentenced to life imprisonment and the judge recommended that he never be released.
After his trial, the Shipman Inquiry, chaired by Dame Janet Smith, investigated all deaths certified by Shipman. About 80% of his victims were women. His youngest victim was a 41-year-old man. Much of Britain's legal structure concerning health care and medicine was reviewed and modified as a direct and indirect result of Shipman's crimes, especially after the findings of the Shipman Inquiry, which began on 1 September 2000 and lasted almost two years. Shipman is the only British doctor found guilty of murdering his patients.
Shipman died on 13 January 2004, after hanging himself in his cell at Wakefield Prison in West Yorkshire.

The rest of his wiki page is worth a read

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "Mikey"
Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"since Harold Shipton in 1947.

Is that pre-mass murder?

Maybe not, unless he was in his pram

Harold Fredrick Shipman (14 January 1946 – 13 January 2004) was an English doctor and one of the most prolific serial killers in recorded history with 218 murders being positively ascribed to him, although the actual number is probably much higher.
On 31 January 2000, a jury found Shipman guilty of 15 murders. He was sentenced to life imprisonment and the judge recommended that he never be released.
After his trial, the Shipman Inquiry, chaired by Dame Janet Smith, investigated all deaths certified by Shipman. About 80% of his victims were women. His youngest victim was a 41-year-old man. Much of Britain's legal structure concerning health care and medicine was reviewed and modified as a direct and indirect result of Shipman's crimes, especially after the findings of the Shipman Inquiry, which began on 1 September 2000 and lasted almost two years. Shipman is the only British doctor found guilty of murdering his patients.
Shipman died on 13 January 2004, after hanging himself in his cell at Wakefield Prison in West Yorkshire.

The rest of his wiki page is worth a read

Shipton, dear boy, not Shipman.

Famous scientist, involved in the early days of cybernetics along with Turing et al., and also married to Janet, daughter of the British Prime Minister, Clement Atlee.

And absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with either Harold William (Bill) Tilman, a famous climber and explorer, who was actually the last Westerner to cross the Wakhjir Pass, or Eric Shipton, his oft climbing partner (albeit not on that occasion).

The link being the Shipton/Tilman grants given to explorers by Gore, well-known outdoor clothing company. So many web pages, so little time.

Doh!  :roll:

Mikey

The world will end on

27th Ocober 2011*
28th Ocober 2011*
29th Ocober 2011*
30th Ocober 2011*
31st Ocober 2011*
1st November 2011*
2nd November 2011*
3rd November 2011*
4th November 2011*
5th November 2011*
6th November 2011*
7th November 2011*
8th November 2011*
9th November 2011*
10th November 2011*
11th November 2011*
12th November 2011*
13th November 2011*
14th November 2011*

* Delete as appropriate

"But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction." —2nd Peter 2:1

E.S.

I think the bible is quite clear on that subject. No one knows when, only God does. All end-of-the-world prophecies will be false ones.

So... relax, be nice and have the tea ready. :mrgreen:

johninblack

Quote from: "E.S."So... relax, be nice and have the tea ready. :mrgreen:

Common sense at last :)
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Mouse