Rig update. :)

Started by EvilDragon, July 11, 2012, 09:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilDragon

I didn't post here for so long, I feel obliged to let all you anoraks know about my rig updates, haha!

You know that I have a PC3K8 from that unpacking thread, right? Well, I got friends for it, too! (NOTE: Right-click then View image to see the full picture!)

Namely:

Yamaha AN1x (what a beauty!)
SM Pro Audio V-Machine (actually I got this way before PC3K8, I use it for running GSi VB3, best Hammond sim ever, and SQ8L for that Ensoniq vibe)
Korg TR-Rack (because a man needs to have Trinity in some form!)
Korg NS5R (because I wanted to keep some of my old Korg X5D sounds with me)
Washburn EA20SDLK electroacoustic (sounds very very nice)

And all that on K&M Spider Pro stand, along with Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro headphones.

Another new thingie is the electric guitar, I got her real cheap (below $300) NEW... it's really good for the money, I'm very satisfied. It's a Washburn RX50 Black Sunburst:

Now I just gotta get something to amplify it! :)

All in all, I feel like a happy camper for now. Although I already have a plan to fill a monster 24U rack that I've purchased recently. :)

Pedro

That's a nice looking axe. :)
Is there a techy reason for the way the strings are anchored (in that staggered way) or is it just done like that because it looks so damn cool? :D
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

EvilDragon

It's because of string length, which is directly related to string tension, consequently intonation. At least I think. :D

JimD

I think it's just 'cos it looks cool  :D
About Me
Secret line! Who can see this? PM me!

EvilDragon

Nope, asked my friend. It's because of string tension and intonation, I was right to assume. ;)

Pedro

Quote from: "EvilDragon"Nope, asked my friend. It's because of string tension and intonation, I was right to assume. ;)
Well I'd buy that explanation if I were asking about the staggered arrangement in the bridge.
String length and intonation happens between the nut abd the bridge, doesn't it?

MachineHead-----Nut-------------------(bit that vibrates over pickups)---------------------Bridge-------FancyAnchorPoint

What happens outside of that length (in the bits that dont' move when plucked) possibly has something to do with resonance or tuning stability (so string length, yes)---but that can't affect intonation...can it?

D S

Yes Pedro, you're correct - this is purely for looks.  If you are really serious about getting the correct individual string length / intonation, you need a fan-fretted instrument like a Dingwall Combustion, which varies the length of each string and the frets accordingly.  :shock:

http://www.dingwallguitars.com/basses/c ... n-gallery/

Never played one (yet!) and would like to do so but fear it might warp either my mind, my fingers or my credit card!  8-)
Come on, you\'re a lion!

EvilDragon

Quote from: "Pedro"
Quote from: "EvilDragon"Nope, asked my friend. It's because of string tension and intonation, I was right to assume. ;)
Well I'd buy that explanation if I were asking about the staggered arrangement in the bridge.
String length and intonation happens between the nut abd the bridge, doesn't it?

MachineHead-----Nut-------------------(bit that vibrates over pickups)---------------------Bridge-------FancyAnchorPoint

What happens outside of that length (in the bits that dont' move when plucked) possibly has something to do with resonance or tuning stability (so string length, yes)---but that can't affect intonation...can it?

Right, right. The bridge is for intonation. But this is for string length, then, consequently, tension.

All this talk about the guitar... no love for that splendid AN1X (it sounds fab!)? :)

Mooncat

Another reason for 'thru body' stringing is that it changes the tonal quality/resonance as the strings are more 'interactive' with the body of the guitar rather than being 'strapped to the top' of it
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Rook

Aah, the AN1X... or as we used to call it, the Anal-X (and you will too now that you have seen it). I always liked the sound of that synth. I never had one, but I did get an EX-5 which includes the same engine, so I am covered. The EX-5 really was (is) a great sounding board, but got hammered by the Triton for ease of use and programming. Still, as a live synth...

Pedro

I must get my Variax to a Luthier sometime.
If tuned perfectly, fretted notes on third string are slightly sharp.
Nut needs filing or something like that.

EvilDragon

Quote from: "Rook"Aah, the AN1X... or as we used to call it, the Anal-X (and you will too now that you have seen it). I always liked the sound of that synth. I never had one, but I did get an EX-5 which includes the same engine, so I am covered. The EX-5 really was (is) a great sounding board, but got hammered by the Triton for ease of use and programming. Still, as a live synth...

Too bad EX-5 only has 2 notes of polyphony for the AL engine. That's such a massive down point I can't even begin to describe it. AN1x has 5 times that.

Actually, I have nothing against how AN1x looks. I am sad that it doesn't have endless rotaries instead of knobs (or at least soft takeover mode for knobs, which it doesn't have).

Rook

Actually there was a particular (beautiful) lead in the AN1X that I coveted that the EX-5 does with its limited AN polyphony, so I am covered for at least that. I think it was called "Earth lead". I am travelling right now and Synthless, but should hopefully have an Ultranova to play with soon. Lets see how that stacks up :)

"Anal-X" is just how we chose to read "AN1X".

/R

EvilDragon

Yep, Earth Lead is nice. I like preset 61 Suzy more, though. I have edited it to my taste, now it's fatter and... and actually it's similar to the lead sound from BLM. Not quite there, but it bears a resemblance. :)

Drarok

Related: I just bought a not-that-expensive new toy... http://www.drarok.com/files/RGA8BK.jpg

Ibanez RGA8 8-string! It's a monster! :twisted: