desert island discs....

Started by rogerg, June 06, 2009, 02:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerg

ok, name the five cds that you would wish to be stranded with on a desert island...

Frost* - Milliontown
It Bites - The Tall Ships
Kansas - Leftoverture
Jean Sibelius - 2nd Symphony
Boston - Boston

Trapezium Artist

Picking just five is completely impossible, but since Roger is going to bring along Milliontown for us to enjoy :D  I'll add a different five in alphabetical order, slightly subverting the thread into a cumulative Frost*ie record collection:

Ash - Nu-Clear Sounds
Heiner Goebbels - Eislermaterial
Gustav Mahler - Symphony No. 8
Richard Strauss - Die Frau Ohne Schatten
Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans

Oh, that's so unfair: what about Les Miserables, Prokofiev 5, The Bangles' "Different Light", Radiohead's "OK Computer", Matthew Sweet's "Girlfriend", Shostakovich 5, Cocteau Twins' "Heaven or Las Vegas", and most of the other hundreds of albums I own  :D  ... ?

I know, I'm completely cheating, but the old idea of "just five albums" doesn't seem so compelling these days when I can get hundreds in the palm of my hand on my iPod Touch ...  :shock:

rogerg

Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"I know, I'm completely cheating, but the old idea of "just five albums" doesn't seem so compelling these days when I can get hundreds in the palm of my hand on my iPod Touch ...  :shock:

I know, I know, I'm so grateful for my iPod!  but a thread "name your favorite 500 cds", just didn't quite seem right!   8-)

EVP

In no particular order:

Yes - Close to the edge
Frost - Milliontown
Marillion - Marbles (the full 2 disc book version)
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
David Gilmour - On an Island   8-)  (or Pink Floyd's The Division Bell depending on the day)

catherine

I'm so glad to see TA's bringing along TFTO - nice one!

In that case, I'll add:

IQ - Frequency (yes, I know it's only just come out, but I love it hugely and obsessively already)
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (that's a really hard one as so many of their albums are excellent and it was a toss-up between that and Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun and Deadwing)
Steve Hillage - Live Herald (a simply amazing live album)
Devo - Are We Not Men  (still sounds fresh 30 years on)
BT - Emotional Technology (a techno album that repays repeated relistens and has a surprising depth to it and amazing production)

Geetar

Well, with a bit of cheating, I'll boost the jazz(ish) section:

Holdsworth -   Atavachron or Secrets (how do I choose....?)
Copland -        A Copland Celebration- Vol.1
Steely Dan -    Citizen Steely Dan (well, how else am I going to get all their songs?)
Joni Mitchell - Shadows and Light
Pat Metheny - Travels
Bill Bruford -   An Introduction to Summerfold

It'll all change in a month or so, I expect. I'm in non-prog mood/mode right now.... must be our immanent departure :(
This space for sale.

rogerg

Quote from: "Geetar"Pat Metheny - Travels

I really wanted to bring First Circle...

Mouse

Hmm, I'd have to say...

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon
Pink Floyd - p.u.l.s.e
Genesis - Seconds Out
Jean-Michel Jarre - Aero

Yes, I like Pink Floyd. A lot.  8-)  Good to see EVP's bringing Marbles, which means I can substitute my copy for Aero - the current can't-stop-playing fixation.

Geetar

Quote from: "rogerg"
Quote from: "Geetar"Pat Metheny - Travels

I really wanted to bring First Circle...

Ah, but how to live without "Song For Bilbao"?

And what about my criminal omission of Jeff Beck's  "Performing this week- Live at Ronnie Scott's" eh?
This space for sale.

D S

1. Rush - Moving Pictures
2. Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
3. Mike Oldfield - Incantations
4. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
5. Frost* - Milliontown

But I'll be borrowing everyone else's Porcupine Tree, Marillion, IQ, It Bites, & Yes albums too!
Come on, you\'re a lion!

MikeEvs

In no particular order

Transatlantic - Bridge Across Forever
Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory
Steve Vai - Sound Theories
Marty Friedman - Scenes
Spock's Beard - Snow

Pedro

I can never get these things right....
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "Pedro"I can never get these things right....

What's to get right? We've tacitly agreed to subvert Roger's rules so that you can have all the discs everyone has already mentioned, plus somewhere between 5 and 500 of your own  :D

You could even try and squeeze in the estimated 3,000+ works of Telemann under house rules (but good luck typing them all in on the forum)  :lol:

catherine

Shouldn't we start apportioning some roles to people as well? I mean, we won't be able to slob around all day listening to CDs when we're fighting for survival on the island. For example, I'm probably better at cooking than shelter building, someone else had better volunteer to be the maintainer of the precious audio equipment...

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "catherine"Shouldn't we start apportioning some roles to people as well? I mean, we won't be able to slob around all day listening to CDs when we're fighting for survival on the island. For example, I'm probably better at cooking than shelter building, someone else had better volunteer to be the maintainer of the precious audio equipment...

Ummm, how's about I keep an eye on the stars in the assuredly dark night sky and let everyone know when a particularly fortuitous alignment of binary supergiants in the constellation of Nutus foreshadows the imminent arrival of a new Frost* CD to add to our jealously guarded collection?

In return for which I get to eat your delicious cooking, right? You just have to love the way modern society works  :D

By the way, at the risk of returning this back whence it came (oh, the horror of hypocrisy), I can't help but notice that our record collection is becoming heavily prog-o-centric.

Even after accounting for why we're all on this island together in the first place, I would've hoped for a wider variety. After all,  as much as I love Marmite (a case of which just conveniently washed up on the shore), I need sushi, fajitas, and kumquats as well!!!  :shock: