The Peel 2009

Started by Mick, November 20, 2008, 09:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick

Saturday 10th January 2009 TINYFISH (Full Electric) Plus Guests Tinyfish play a very special warm up show prior to the Poland shows.
£8.00 adv Doors 7.30pm

Friday 16th & Saturday 17th January 2009 The Script Tour hit House of Progression Mick Pointer joined by Nick Barrett (Pendragon), Mike Verity (Credo), Ian Salmon (Arena), Brian Cummings (Carpet Crawlers) £16.00 adv Doors 7.30pm

Saturday 31st January 2009 PANIC ROOM & JUMP Panic Room released One of the best albums of 2008! £10.00 adv (Please note this is a rescheduled show previous ticket holders will be contacted)

Saturday 7th February 2009 PINEAPPLE THIEF & NARRATION
Pineapple Thief make a welcome return to The House of Progression Stunning! We introduce to you the magnificent Narration. £8.00 adv
Coming in 2009 MAGENTA, PALLAS & Much More!!

Mick

Haven't had a Peel bump for a while :mrgreen:

Mikey

I used to have a signature

Cptncanary

I'd like to see A.C.T at the Peel, I know they're gearing up for shows next year. Maybe even Saga? On 2nd thoughts, I don't think Jim Gilmour would fit his rig on the stage  :roll:  :lol:  :lol:

Ash

WHINGE ALERT!!!

I am going to Tinyfish and Script and I am absolutely delighted that Blind Ego are playing in May.

However...

I am aware that The Peel is a business and having smaller prog bands that don't have much of a turn out is not good.  BUT I AM VERY DISTRESSED ABOUT THE NUMBER OF COVER BANDS THAT ARE LINED UP IN 2009

All of my old London venues that I used to go to are now cover band venues.  Last year was remarkable for having one venue in London that had a monthly (or more frequent) prog night.  I don't want to see Yes or Genesis cover bands taking up "my" venue when there are so many bands around that could be encouraged/bribed/kidnapped to play there.

Please take note Twang et al as I don't want the Peel to become another covers band venue.  There are plenty of other venues in and around London that they have nicked.
Ash
xxx

johninblack

Quote from: "Sarah"Please take note Twang et al as I don't want the Peel to become another covers band venue.  There are plenty of other venues in and around London that they have nicked.

I'm with you all the way Sarah. However, it IS a business, it has to pay or it goes bust and I for one would rather see them put on the very occasional covers band than have it disappear totally, besides, we don't know who contacted who, it could very easily have been the band saying "You have a prog crowd already, you're the right size venue, can we?"
Also I can't see Twang putting these on in place of another band, it's more likely in addition to what was planned already, at least I hope that's the case. I'm sure Twang will be happy to tell us.

The pub Sammi works in used to have mostly original bands playing, now they have 2 bars. It is a requirement of thier entertainment licence that in the smaller room (B2) the bands must play original material, the requirement for the main bar is mostly covers but some original material is allowed. A certain band (no names) turn up and along with them come all the die-hard proggers, I spoke to a couple of them once (had a Frost* shirt on) and these die-hard proggers had never heard of : Frost*, Darwin's Radio, Credo, Tinyfish and remember these guys consider themselves prog fans and they didn't have a bloody clue who Pendragon or IQ were
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Ash

If having Fragile means I get Blind Ego I can live with it - moderation tho please!
Ash
xxx

johninblack

Quote from: "Sarah"If having Fragile means I get Blind Ego I can live with it - moderation tho please!

I just added to my post.....the last paragraph.
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Twang

Quote from: "Sarah"WHINGE ALERT!!!

I am going to Tinyfish and Script and I am absolutely delighted that Blind Ego are playing in May.

However...

I am aware that The Peel is a business and having smaller prog bands that don't have much of a turn out is not good.  BUT I AM VERY DISTRESSED ABOUT THE NUMBER OF COVER BANDS THAT ARE LINED UP IN 2009

All of my old London venues that I used to go to are now cover band venues.  Last year was remarkable for having one venue in London that had a monthly (or more frequent) prog night.  I don't want to see Yes or Genesis cover bands taking up "my" venue when there are so many bands around that could be encouraged/bribed/kidnapped to play there.

Please take note Twang et al as I don't want the Peel to become another covers band venue.  There are plenty of other venues in and around London that they have nicked.

Don't Panic!!!! There are only 2 nights in March where Los Endos & Fragile are playing. They are warm up shows for a theatre tour the bands are doing. Both bands have their own following and approached me to do warm ups. They wanted to do it at The Peel because of our PA set up.

Various band members have been to shows in 08 Pendragon & Twelfth Night mainly.

That is the Reason. I hope that clears it all up and stops people from worrying.

We get to meet lots of musicians that come to the House of Progression Shows, when they approach me to do a show over the moon that they've found a venue that actually loves Prog, I'm more than happy to help them out.

I'm discussing other shows which hopefully you will find rather bloddy awesome, but I can't announce anything until all parties have agreed, disagreed, discussed it with a, b & c, crossed referenced with d, then we all go down the pub, get so hammered we forget everything & then have to go back to a. :D

Ash

Quote from: "johninblack"A certain band (no names) turn up and along with them come all the die-hard proggers, .... remember these guys consider themselves prog fans and they didn't have a bloody clue who Pendragon or IQ were
:shock:

I am quite liking the rule about original material - that's cool.  Are the strippers doing original material  ;)

Twang - thank you for allaying my fears  :D
Ash
xxx

Mick

I had a Prog band last night contact me, quite well known, Who have a new album coming out in 2009 want to play the Peel, Trying to sort out dates now, Along with 3 or 4 more other bands, Some big, some not so, But thats what makes The Peel so good :D

johninblack

Quote from: "Mick"I had a Prog band last night contact me, quite well known, Who have a new album coming out in 2009 want to play the Peel, Trying to sort out dates now, Along with 3 or 4 more other bands, Some big, some not so, But thats what makes The Peel so good :D

Nice to hear it Mick. You know my opinion of The Peel, The only possible improvement would be for it to be within walking distance :mrgreen:  :lol:  :mrgreen:
Think I might need to get a new job and move roughly 110 miles south west.
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Mick

Saturday 10th January 2009 TINYFISH (Full Electric) Plus Guests Tinyfish play a very special warm up show prior to the Poland shows.
£8.00 adv Doors 7.30pm
 :D

Ash

I will be there Mick but most Frost*ies will be in Yorkshire for some unknown reason...
Ash
xxx

Nellie

I will be there too of course and maybe we can have a chat this time Sarah?!
It's in the post!