Britishisms (Reprise)

Started by gr8gonzo, December 11, 2008, 03:08:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geetar

Quote from: "landslug"sometimes it makes its way into words like tomatou and potatou as well   :shock:

Sounds like my early attempts (age 9) to understand and speak Provençal.
This space for sale.

Dave M

Quote from: "wickedwitch"i think its all bostin.

A friend of mine works for an animation company that has used Black Country dialect for inspiration .... There's a tree that speaks with a brummy accent called The Owamya Tree, amongst other things !
 :lol:
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

wickedwitch

Quote from: "Dave M"
Quote from: "wickedwitch"i think its all bostin.

A friend of mine works for an animation company that has used Black Country dialect for inspiration .... There's a tree that speaks with a brummy accent called The Owamya Tree, amongst other things !
 :lol:
classic!  i used to go out with a bloke from the black country and when i was with him i just couldnt shake the dialect. I'd go home full of are, ay and opple and my dad would just give me a look until i shut up or reverted back to genteel south birmingham!

i love listening to it. It reminds me of my youth! x

Brom

Never mind about all that - Did you know that a trunnion is a cylindrical protrusion used as a mounting and/or pivoting point?

In a cannon, the trunnions are the two projections on the side of the barrel which mount the barrel in the carriage.

In older cars, especially those by the Triumph Motor Company, the trunnion is part of the suspension and either allows free movement of the rear wheel hub in relation to the chassis or allows the front wheel hub to rotate with the steering.

In steam engines, they are supporting gudgeon pins on either side of an oscillating steam cylinder. They are usually tubular and convey steam.

On communication satellites, the antennas are usually mounted on a pair of trunnions to allow the beam pattern to be correctly pointed on the Earth from the geostationary orbit.

On stage lighting instruments, a trunnion is a bracket attached to both ends of a striplight that allows the striplight to be mounted on the floor. Sometimes trunnions are also equipped with casters to allow the striplight to be moved easily.

In woodworking, they are the assembly that holds a saw's arbour to the underside of the saw table.
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

catherine

I always thought that "trunnion" had a faintly rude ring to it!

Pedro

No it's an Onion that has the rings.
Trunnions are clearly two more than onions and one more than bunions.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Nellie

Why only one more, that clearly makes no sense!!
It's in the post!

sawtooth

Quote from: "Pedro"No it's an Onion that has the rings.
Trunnions are clearly two more than onions and one more than bunions.
But they all have more rings than nonions.

And please stop using punions. :D

catherine

OK, Sawtooth, you've wonion...

catherine

apologies for double-posting but I'm having too much funion...

tomskerous

I was a victim of goose-flirting the other day.
This bleeding great goose came up to me and wanted a light.
I said no.
Goose, there\'ll be no flirting today.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!

Pedro

Quote from: "sawtooth"And please stop using punions. :D
#We've only just begunion.... ;)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Brom

Ask for "Dunnion" (Dynion) in Wales and you will either be given men or pointed in the direction of the gents loos.

A woman though?? You need to ask for a "Menu"! (Menyw)  :D
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

Sean

I'm surprised that no one has touched on any of the slang from the the South. I live in Florida, and most people unlike myself, have an southern accent which makes them drop the n off of many things. Fixin, huntin, drivin, I mean you name it. That and I can't stand the term "yall" which mean all of you or you all.
[size=150]Carpe Diem[/size]