Summer's End 2009

Started by Tricky, August 26, 2009, 06:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tricky

There's no Frost*iness this year  :( , but who's going anyway?

Interesting lineup: especially Saturday with Pallas and RPWL  :)
Given the location, it should be a shoo-in for BBS!
When the future\'s looking dark, we\'re the ones who have to shine...

Big Black Shed

I'm slightly tempted by Hackkett on the Friday. But I / we have Porcupine Tree on the Saturday in Bristol.

TBH I'm not that bothered by the rest. Maybe it's because I'm a little progged out at the moment.

Confession time: I've just received the new Darwin's Radio and Magentas reissue of Seven, and at the moment I could take it or leave it. It's not that they are bad albums, far from it, I'm just not in the mood.

My mind could have been changed if Pedro-The-Wish genie had managed to do his "thing" when I suggested my dream line-up for SE:

It Bites
Touchstone
Tinyfish
Darwin's Radio
Pure Reason Revolution
Riversea.

But alas, no such luck.
It's not the winning or even taking part. It's the arsing about that counts.

MikeEvs

I'm not going as I too will at Porcupine Tree in Bristol on the Saturday, and tgh the lineup isn't doing anything for me

johninblack

Quote from: "MikeEvs"I'm not going as I too will at Porcupine Tree in Bristol on the Saturday, and tbh the lineup isn't doing anything for me
Same here, apart from the Porcupine Tree bit.
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Trapezium Artist

I'd love to see Pallas live again after (cough) 20+ years, but can't be in the UK at that time. Will just have to wait until they come back to Zoetermeer again (which is all of 10km from my [new] front door).

Pedro

@BBS: Crikey, too "progged-out" to appreciate Dec's new CD? That is a crying shame IMHO...I've been wanting a new DR CD for yonks, I couldn't imagine yawning at the prospect.

Sorry I couldn't get SE to break their own rules - that would indeed have been a great line-up...but I think that what is on offer is really impressive and myself and Mrs Pedro will be there to enjoy every last minute of it. Like last year, I don't doubt that I might be indifferent after seeing some of the acts but I know that Hackett, Pendragon and Also Eden are well worth turning out for so anything else is a bonus.  :)

I've never been one to be dismissive of support acts or bands I have never heard of - if I am at a gig already I'll listen/watch to all of it if I can - I'm still prepared to accept there's good stuff I haven't heard yet.
The Prog Boys SE preview podcast is an interesting listen and I think there will be a few CD purchases on the night(s).

Getting back to that dream line-up, I'm seeing 4 of that 6 between now and Christmas so I don't have anything to complain about really.  :D
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

catherine

Yes, I was a bit baffled by the concept of being "progged out". Hasn't happened to me yet. And I fervently hope it never will.

johninblack

If the festival was still being held at The Robin 2 I'd have been more likely to have given it a go as it is a bit closer for us, trouble is we've had an incredibly expensive year and my wages in real terms have dropped 5 years running. We've been given raises but at 1 - 3% they are always way short of the real cost of living increase (I won't use the term "inflation" as we all know this is not a figure representative of the real increase in living expenses). Also we are about to loose an hour a week, that might not sound much but it's worth around £450 a year which is most of the money I'd spend going to gigs and all that so the camping gear we've assembled over the last year or so will be getting a bit more use as that will be the only holidays we'll be able to afford. Having said that we're off to Devon at Stupid O'clock in the morning for 10 days of relaxation........assuming the tent doesn't blow away while I'm trying to erect it :D It's supposed to be wet and windy in Devon tomorrow......typical :roll:

I realize that the ticket price for Summers End represents exceedingly good value it's just that there are too many bands playing that I know very little about so I'd rather spend what extra money I do have on gigs where we have a good idea what we're in for and can expect to not be disappointed at all. Not that I'd expect any of the bands to disappoint, I'm sure they they will all be very good and those of you that are going I'm sure will have a very good time. Hopefully I can save a few shekels for next year's festival.
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Trapezium Artist

Interesting: if Frost*ies are at all representative of the UK progfan base and if the responses on this thread are at all representative of the Frost*iverse, then Summer's End is not going to do well this year.

Of course, I accept that both assumptions may well be offbeam, but still, the signs are not encouraging. A pity, since I think Pallas deserve a crowd this year and because I enjoyed my visit there last year, I'd hope it'll still be around when the band list looks more broadly attractive (to me) and I'm able to be there.

JiB also (personally) identifies how the recession (which the UK is most definitely still in, despite the stockmarket, house prices, and bonuses rising briefly) is have an effect even at the rather abstruse level of prog. Scary  :shock:

Big Black Shed

@JiB. I fully understand the financials. I have been made redunant twice in 15 months and have had to take a pay drop. A drop of 33% is a BIG life / reality check.

@Pedro. I gave the new Darwin's Radio a proper listen last night and I will say I'm mightily impressed. As for SE, I'm sure I would enjoy it, but I know I'll enjoy PT as much, if not more. Plus I can't be in 2 places at once.

@Catherine. Progged-out is a rare but curable disease. I've been listening to a lot of non-prog, mainly stuff I've bought over the years and never given the proper respect. And TBH it's quite refreshing. It's nice to listen to music that prog "progessed" from.  

:shock:  :shock:

There, I've said the "progressive" word.  ;)  ;)

I'll shut up now.
It's not the winning or even taking part. It's the arsing about that counts.

Pedro

I fully appreciate, understand and respect the choices being made here.
We decided we were going to do all 3 days of SE before we knew who was playing. This was a choice made before I lost and then temporarily regained my job.
SE will live or die on attendences and, of course, on who they book to play. While the line up may not be what some might call ideal but it is certainly not weak by any stretch. The optimist in me is determined to enjoy it and hopes the festival will continue for many years.
How long I shall keep being Mr Hooray-For-Everything when it comes to prog remains to be seen. Reality will no doubt wear me down eventually!
And my chance to see PT for the first time is yet to come. :D
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Ash

Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"Interesting: if Frost*ies are at all representative of the UK progfan base and if the responses on this thread are at all representative of the Frost*iverse, then Summer's End is not going to do well this year.

Surely Frost* fans are not representative of the UK progfan base?  I would like to think I wasn't  :lol:

I am going to Summers End for two reasons.  I really enjoyed last year but of course last year had Magenta and Frost* but I also really liked Whitemead and wanted to take my kids there.  So this year I am going with my family and the gigs in the evening are a bonus.  I was initially disappointed that every announcement was tvery similar to Loreley, but I enjoyed Steve Hackett so much I can't wait to see him again.  Then the change to RPWL  :D Can't wait!
Ash
xxx

catherine

Pedders! You've never seen PT ??  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

You really should rectify that as soon as possible.

Mouse

I'd love to attend this year, Hackett live is a huge temptation alone, but again with me it's the money that holds me back. For the same reason, it also looks like I'll have to miss the Tree in Leeds too. Joe Bonamassa's playing the same venue in December, and given a choice between the two (which is what I've been forced to do), I'd go with Bonamassa.

My time will come at some point, no doubt. As my brother used to say, "One day, not today."  :)

Tricky

Rather like Pedro, I'd decided to go to SE before the line-up (or the PT gigs) was announced.
So now I'm both regretting the prospect of missing PT, but even more looking forward to the latest SE line-up.

For what it's worth Pedro, I think that PT's best gigs have passed them by.  I enjoyed them a couple of times in the small, dark and sweaty ambience of The Junction (Cambridge) where you're never more than about 30ft from the stage; but suspect that the larger venues will break the spell (though SW isn't the most 'interactive' of frontmen at the best of times).
When the future\'s looking dark, we\'re the ones who have to shine...