Some Tech. Questions about TPE!!

Started by Jim Takacs, June 21, 2010, 03:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Takacs

We all have stated and have heard from others how AMAZING this Latest offering Sounds and the Quality of the performance! Im Curious as to some of the Tech. Behind the scene happenings!  
* Who was the FOH Engineer? There is NO WAY thats a "house" Sound Guy!!  
* How Did you Track the recordings? Was there a Splitter Snake, Sub-mix or did you simply use the Direct outs Of the house Console!
* What Console Was That? The Mic Pre's Seem Wonderful!  Sounds Like A Midas or Allen & Heath Console! A&H EQ=drool "prob. a Digi Venue console"
* What Vocal Mics Were used? The reason I ask this is the fact that The Vocals are 90% as intelligible and captured the tone and Sibilance almost as good as your Neumann's back at the Cube!  
* Did you get to Keep the V-Synth from Sam Ash? I would have lent you mine! :P
* What kind of Beer did you drink while here?
* Did you notice a difference in the Water Hardness in regards to the Lather Created By The soap in the Shower in the Hotel room?
* Did the band enjoy the Continental Breakfast? Whats the Breakfast Like On Your Continent?
::I Like Cheese::

Pedro

Great questions that need to be answered. :D
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

ChrisX

Quote from: "Jim Takacs"Who was the FOH Engineer? There is NO WAY thats a "house" Sound Guy!!

Do you need one for 'Recording' ?. Front-Of-House is for the sound in the room NOT on the recording I guess. But hey, I am no expert but I would reckon that all of it went straight, without any eq-ing or processing, onto a hard drive in multitrack format for Jem to mix @ The Cube.
--
Christian
"Remember what\'s been given, not taken away" - Brett Kull (Echolyn)

Tricky

Quote from: "Jim Takacs"* Did the band enjoy the Continental Breakfast? Whats the Breakfast Like On Your Continent?

Jim; tut tut tut:  :shock:
It may have escaped your notice, but we're not ON the Continent.  We're the aircraft carrier moored just north of France  :P
We do bacon & eggs (not biscuits & gravy)
Continental is something involving cold meats and cheese; maybe a pastry or some dry bread... :(
When the future\'s looking dark, we\'re the ones who have to shine...

Jim Takacs

Quote from: "ChrisX"
Quote from: "Jim Takacs"Who was the FOH Engineer? There is NO WAY thats a "house" Sound Guy!!

Do you need one for 'Recording' ?. Front-Of-House is for the sound in the room NOT on the recording I guess. But hey, I am no expert but I would reckon that all of it went straight, without any eq-ing or processing, onto a hard drive in multitrack format for Jem to mix @ The Cube.
The Front of House Mixer still is the Supply line for all inputed signal unless there was a Splitter snake used, which I doubt! Thats a PITA. and,  Yeah, Im SURE Jem wanted the raw recordings, un-altered for his shoe shining back at the Square homestead. ;)  Damn He is Good! :shock:  Oh, Ive been meaning to ask Chris this,  Where the hell is that guy in your Avatar going anyhow?  :?

Jim Takacs

Quote from: "Tricky"
Quote from: "Jim Takacs"* Did the band enjoy the Continental Breakfast? Whats the Breakfast Like On Your Continent?

Jim; tut tut tut:  :shock:
It may have escaped your notice, but we're not ON the Continent.  We're the aircraft carrier moored just north of France  :P
We do bacon & eggs (not biscuits & gravy)
Continental is something involving cold meats and cheese; maybe a pastry or some dry bread... :(
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! See, Now they will be on top us!!  Traitor!! This damn ship have a Plank??? :lol:

vocalnick

Quote from: "ChrisX"

That's more or less true, but if you're hearing howls of feedback in the venue on the night, you'll be hearing them on the recording as well, as it's the same mics.

Not to mention the whole mix/foldback/performance synergy. If it sounds bad on the night, it will definitely impact on the performance quality & energy, which will in turn cause the recorded version to suffer.
words that look like sound effects: twit, blog

gr8gonzo

There was a somewhat less than ear friendly sound coming from the stage and it was quite obvious to me what it was. Minor, mind you, but hard to miss. Having listened to TPE, I can tell you there is little, if any, sign of that sound. Props to Jem for his shiny production work.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

Jem

Quote from: "Jim Takacs"* Who was the FOH Engineer? There is NO WAY thats a "house" Sound Guy!!

It was Mark Westwood. He of IQ fame. Not the keyboard player, mind.  :D

Quote from: "Jim Takacs"* How Did you Track the recordings? Was there a Splitter Snake, Sub-mix or did you simply use the Direct outs Of the house Console!

RoSFest hired a Mobile that sat outside the venue and tracked everything. How they took splits from the desk I don't know to be honest. It was a cool truck though, FULL of ProTools toys.  :D

Quote from: "Jim Takacs"* What Console Was That? The Mic Pre's Seem Wonderful!  Sounds Like A Midas or Allen & Heath Console! A&H EQ=drool "prob. a Digi Venue console"

Again, I'm not sure. It looked big and digital.

Quote from: "Jim Takacs"* What Vocal Mics Were used? The reason I ask this is the fact that The Vocals are 90% as intelligible and captured the tone and Sibilance almost as good as your Neumann's back at the Cube!

On the vocals they were standard 58's from what I could see. I think it was 57's on the guitars and I didn't get a chance to see what was on the kit.

Quote from: "Jim Takacs"* Did you get to Keep the V-Synth from Sam Ash? I would have lent you mine! :P

If I'd have known you then, I'd have gladly borrowed yours.  :D We gave it back to the nice chaps from Sam Ash, in fact they came down to the show. I did thank them prior to Milliontown, but I edited it out as it seemed a bit random on playback.

Quote from: "Jim Takacs"* What kind of Beer did you drink while here?

All the beer I could find.  :lol:

Quote from: "Jim Takacs"* Did you notice a difference in the Water Hardness in regards to the Lather Created By The soap in the Shower in the Hotel room?

Yes, I found I left a lifesize version of myself in lather in the bath afterwards each time. It was quite disconcerting.

There was a fantastic diner just down the road where we ate lots of eggs. And steak. And those little deep fried potato-ey chunks that you only get in the States. I got back to Blighty a fatter, yet happier man.  :D

gr8gonzo

Quote from: "Jem"There was a fantastic diner just down the road where we ate lots of eggs. And steak. And those little deep fried potato-ey chunks that you only get in the States. I got back to Blighty a fatter, yet happier man.  :D

Was it the Friendly's at the top of the hill, by chance? We ate there twice during our stay at Ye Olde Holiday Inn. Known more for their ice cream, but their breakfasts are a close second.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

ChrisX

Quote from: "Jim Takacs"Oh, Ive been meaning to ask Chris this,  Where the hell is that guy in your Avatar going anyhow?  :?

Don't know but it is an avatar based on a very classic Italian animation short that was all over tv when I was a child in the 70s.

Here is a classic short:

//http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwfQEWE5tvM

Don't know if actually anything that's been said is real Italian or just gibberish ...

Here is some more info on the whole thing //http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Linea_(TV_series)
--
Christian
"Remember what\'s been given, not taken away" - Brett Kull (Echolyn)

Mouse