When DS met Immi

Started by D S, July 01, 2012, 01:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D S

What a wonderful but surreal day I had yesterday!

Like many on this forum,I'm also a fan of the works of Imogen Heap and am on her mailing list.  At the bottom of the last email, there was a comment about the fact that Immi was going to be recording the video for the latest in her series of songs (Heapsong 7 aka 'You Know Where to Find Me') for her next album in Edinburgh on 30th June and she was looking to play it on as many different pianos as possible that day.  She requested anyone who had a piano in or around Edinburgh and was available that day to get in touch.  Well, my sister, Jen, who actually first introduced me to Immi's music a number of years ago, lives in Edinburgh.  And has a piano.  Email was forwarded.

Lo and behold, Jen got a text on Friday night saying that Immi wanted to come around! So daughter Kate and myself belted up to Edinburgh on Saturday as Jen quickly contacted a piano tuner!  Just after 1pm, a crew of 7 and Immi arrived and set up in Jen's living room and we were allowed to watch the filming of her playing and improvising around the new song.  I really had to pinch myself to believe that this really was THE Imogen Heap creating beautiful new music right in front of me in my sister's living room!  :shock:

After the crew were happy, we got to have a quick chat, grab some photos and get a few CDs signed before they were off to the next house.  We were invited to a restaurant in the evening were they were to be recording again.  Strangely, she actually wanted people to ignore her and carry on talking while they filmed (she later explained that this was to replicate her early days of playing in cafes, etc).

She came over and chatted for about quarter of an hour and gave us some DVDs.  Much to Kate's embarrassment, I got into a long technical discussion about live looping, the new musical 'gloves' she is having made and musical collaborations.  I suggested that I'd really like to hear what she and Jem could produce together.  She professed to not having heard of Jem or Frost*  :o  but she has now!

They always say you should never meet your heroes but I have to say she was really charming and it was good of her to take the time to speak to us for so long.  Oh and she's very tall - I'm 6' 3" and I was almost looking her straight in the eye!

Come on, you\'re a lion!

Pedro

What an amazing thing. :)
I was initially surprised that she hadn't heard of Jem but I guess there's a shed load of stuff passes before her eyes as she jets around the world.
Well done.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

RacingHippo

Wowzers!
I am deeply jealous!
(And not just because she has her around you, you jammy bugger)
Also: Top work on Frost*-promotion, that man!
* May contain nuts.

LivingForever

Quote from: "Pedro"I was initially surprised that she hadn't heard of Jem

Me too. That's not what I heard...  ;)
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

sawtooth

What a fantastic thing to have happened - well done you! :)

D S

A bit more on the story in the local Edinburgh press:-
http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-n ... -1-2387996

The weekend was nicely rounded off on Sunday night with BBC1 showing a compilation of clips from the Euro 2012 tournament with Imogen's version of Michael Jackson's Thriller as the accompanying music - good bit of prime time exposure there!
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Mikey

Beats my drink with Matt Stevens  :)
I used to have a signature

owen

Quote from: "LivingForever"
Quote from: "Pedro"I was initially surprised that she hadn't heard of Jem

Me too. That's not what I heard...  ;)

Careful. That's Jem's delicate ego you're messing with :D

Brom

That's not something that happens every day! Surreal is an understatement. Nice one!
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

Mouse

ecky p

great story DS.....lucky man
But there\'s nothing more to say

rogerg

very cool!!  I woulda been all giddy!

D S

Quote from: "rogerg"very cool!!  I woulda been all giddy!
I was! :oops:
Come on, you\'re a lion!

D S

Final video can be seen here:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hdMYt1Np78&feature=plcp

And short interview with Jen about the filming here:-
http://thespace.org/items/e0000xr2

8-)
Come on, you\'re a lion!