Wives/girlfriends

Started by H3WMW, August 19, 2009, 12:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouse

Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"(I know, I know, it's sad, very very sad how middle age can do these delusional things to you; Mouse, you have it all to look forward to).

I know I know, thanks for reminding me.  :evil:

;)

Drarok

I'm only a nipper, honest! (I'm 25 :P)

I did briefly talk to Philadelphia in Manchester, but unfortunately due to starting drinking at 12:55 pm on the way to the gig with MikeBass, I had trouble grasping the concept of a woman named Philadelphia being from anywhere except America! :lol:

catherine

That's one of the main problems with the men at prog gigs - they're always plastered!

Drarok

It wasn't my fault! It was the hip flask's!

"Double southern comfrt and coke please, barkeep!
*top up to quad*
*fall about*"

Then after Spock's played, I was blinded by a spock-ee in a silver sequinned jacket. I certainly wasn't expecting that!

Also, it wasn't just the drink, I do have great difficultly picking voices out of background noise. I'm useless trying to converse at a gig anyhow.

Nellie

Quote from: "Drarok"I'm only a nipper, honest! (I'm 25 :P)
 I had trouble grasping the concept of a woman named Philadelphia being from anywhere except America! :lol:

You do know that's not her real name, but she is a doctor. ;)
It's in the post!

Drarok

Of course it's not her real name, but no, I didn't know she's a doctor.

A doctorate of something, or a practising medicine-er? :o

Pedro

Quote from: "catherine"That's one of the main problems with the men at prog gigs - they're always plastered!
So we're not unattractive, just badly rendered?  ;)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Drarok

Do the punning skills come with time spent on the Frost* forums, there's some major punning on here!

rogerg

Quote from: "Drarok"Do the punning skills come with time spent on the Frost* forums, there's some major punning on here!

there's a kernel of truth in that.

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "Drarok"I'm only a nipper, honest! (I'm 25 :P)

I did briefly talk to Philadelphia in Manchester, but unfortunately due to starting drinking at 12:55 pm on the way to the gig with MikeBass, I had trouble grasping the concept of a woman named Philadelphia being from anywhere except America! :lol:

But if you'd followed that train of thought just a little further, Drarok, you'd have realised that regardless which country Philadelphia comes from, she comes from The City of Love ...  ;)

(Sorry, I've probably now added Philadelphia to the list of Shefrost*ies I've managed to insult on this forum. But that's me; equal opportunity agent provocateur  :D )

(Yes, yes, I know it's The City of Brotherly Love, but the joke wouldn't have worked at all then. Pedants  :lol: )

Geetar

Indeed.

"City of Love" is a Yes track, as any fule kno.
This space for sale.

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "Geetar"Indeed.

"City of Love" is a Yes track, as any fule kno.

Hence my original confusication, speaketh the Yes fan  :D

Of course, it being a Rabin-era track, it's s**t. How Jon Anderson could go from:

A seasoned witch could call you from the depths of your disgrace,
to rearrange your liver to the solid mental grace

to

He young and tactile,
he ready for anything that is,
How they jive and jingle
They've read the book that gives

in the space of just a decade is beyond me. The first is unintelligible but poetic; the latter is tripe.

I put it down to a lack of appropriate drugs the second time around  8-)

Geetar

Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"Of course, it being a Rabin-era track, it's s**t.

It's an interesting question- whether I will get to you with the pruning shears first, or will John Mitchell beat me to it....

But let's charitably assume that you're not merely a purblind fan of the old git with the carpet and the increasingly wayward sense of where he is in any given musical phrase; in which case you were humourously referring to the increasingly opaque Mr. Anderson: I never listen to what the little fellow is singing- I always thought it was a load of bollocks anyway.

But how he sings it is quite another matter.
This space for sale.

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "Geetar"
Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"Of course, it being a Rabin-era track, it's s**t.

It's an interesting question- whether I will get to you with the pruning shears first, or will John Mitchell beat me to it....

But let's charitably assume that you're not merely a purblind fan of the old git with the carpet and the increasingly wayward sense of where he is in any given musical phrase; in which case you were humourously referring to the increasingly opaque Mr. Anderson: I never listen to what the little fellow is singing- I always thought it was a load of bollocks anyway.

But how he sings it is quite another matter.

Err, not 100% sure I followed the semi-obscured line of reasoning there, Geetar: in particular, I'm confused about who the man with a rug is  :?

But being a gentleman of a certain age, I cannot deny that I'm much more of a trooper than a generator; indeed, I'd go so far as to say that I'm a trooper first, a panther second, and a generator a fairly distant third. I have all the albums and have seen pretty much every tour since 1977, so I'm open-minded, but ultimately, Tales from Topographic Oceans versus Big Generator is absolutely no contest.

I do agree that it's much more important how Little Jon sings than what he sings, but I nevertheless feel that that is a principle that is easier to cleave to when he is indeed singing completely imcomprehensible bollocks, than when he's actually trying to make some kind of down-with-the-kids, right-on sense and fails. (One could make an analogy with Liz Fraser and the Cocteau Twins: once she started singing real words, it became less interesting).

This had already started by the time of Going for the One and Tormato (think Don't Kill The Whale), admittedly, but grew infinitely worse by the time of 90125, Big Generator, and Talk, once he and Yes had begun to respond to external musical imperatives rather than their own self-generated (sic) musical style, developed between The Yes Album and Relayer.

Admittedly, the extreme outcome of this was the execrable Teakbois from ABWH, so I do lay the blame more at Mr A's door than Mr R's, but I've somehow just never been convinced that Rabin-era Yes is really Yes. Of course, Mr R himself was famously sceptical about Cinema turning back into Yes when Mr A became re-involved, but there you go.

Let the flames begin ...  :twisted:

Geetar

Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"Err, not 100% sure I followed the semi-obscured line of reasoning there, Geetar: in particular, I'm confused about who the man with a rug is  :?

Obscure-    moi?

I'm referring to Steve Howe and his...ahem... magic carpet. Though, thinking about it for a minute, a "rug" would probably improve his appearance.
This space for sale.