USB to MIDI converters

Started by Jem, June 19, 2010, 08:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jem

You are a clever bunch, is there a device on the market that can effectively let me plug a USB keyboard into a midi synth and control it without having to go via a laptop?

It would be really cool if I could add a Korg nanoKEY to my rig. All the midi controllers are too big. I don't want 3 octaves and pads and knobs and sliders or whatever, I just need some simple chromatic on/off triggers really.

Any thoughts?

EvilDragon

Seems like this guy made it DIY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrXZQ7E2FEI

Other than that I've never seen anything that would convert in reverse, from USB to MIDI...

MAYBE, just maybe, try this and plug the USB side in a nanoKEY and MIDI OUT part of that cable to MIDI IN of your synth. It's not an expensive deal so you can just try it even if it turns out not working at all. However I think it COULD possibly work.

rogerg

how about using a double-ended female usb cable, effectively reversing the cables, which might allow you to go into a midi-adapter from the nano-key?

damn, sometimes things are hard to explain with words!   :?

EVP

The only issue I see is the fact that the Nano's are all powered via USB.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the midi spec doesn't allow send/receive power no?
Then also the data would have to be sent to the buss and converted? I'm not well versed
in electronics so I'm only shooting in the dark here. If only modern keyboards had true USB
utility ports instead of for a flash memory stick or a mouse a la Fantom's

EVP

Quote from: "rogerg"how about using a double-ended female usb cable, effectively reversing the cables, which might allow you to go into a midi-adapter from the nano-key?

damn, sometimes things are hard to explain with words!   :?

I know exactly what you are talking about. I bought a little kit that has a bunch of adapters but
it only has a female on one end and a mini female on the other and nothing to convert back or
a way to convert to a midi cable.

Yamahaforums

Doesn't work the other way around...we already got someone to try it...not me of course ;)

Jim Takacs

Quote from: "Yamahaforums"Doesn't work the other way around...we already got someone to try it...not me of course ;)

Ditto! This is something thats Not easily accomplished Simply because thats Not how the Protocol works! This is a Product that I think some Dude that actually knows what he is doing could Bank on!! I Sell Tons of these Inexpensive Yamaha PSR and DGX series Portable Keyboards That would Benefit immensely from such a Product! :x
::I Like Cheese::

boswell

USB uses a different coded signal I believe, in fact it might be different for every device. Those MIDI to Usb converters don't actually do much to the signal except tell the computer what protocol to use. The signal coming from one of those is totally different from a dedicated USB output from a device. I'm pretty sure. I had this exact same (drunken) conversation with a friend who works for Roland. It may be complete BS of course.

Could you not ask the folks at KORG to make you a special MIDI version? I mean you're a pretty high profile artist using their gear so perhaps they might oblige?

jchop

Via the keyboard mag forums:

http://www.iconnectmidi.com/node/15

Now all they have to do is make them and sell them.  You know, like flying cars.  ;)

Brom

Semaphore?  :lol:

I actually went on a semaphore course once, it was very tiring, by the end of the second day I was flagging badly.
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

ziwzih

Hi Jem,

Don't know if this is still an issue, but Dolphin Music sell various USB-MIDI interfaces...cheapest is £19, they can be found at:

http://explore.dolphinmusic.co.uk/searc ... +interface

P.S. Are you still looking for a 24-track tape deck as I have a Tascam MSR-24 which you're welcome to borrow for as long as you need...a couple of things though... 1. It uses 1" tapes not 2", but I could supply one for your use.  2. It uses dbx noise reduction not Dolby, but this does seem to work ok and allows tracks to be printed to tape at pretty hot levels.

Really enjoyed the DOTR gig at The Peel.

Peace,
ziwzih.
You can\'t have everything...
Where would you put it ?