John & Jem. A House Concert. Sat. 2nd March 2013

Started by MrPaulBrewer, January 14, 2012, 11:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D S

Back home in Scotland after a great night!  A winning combination of stunning musicianship and silliness.  Quite a challenge for them to learn a long setlist in a short time, including Jem having to learn 7 John Beck keyboard parts - not easy.  Big thanks to Jem and John for taking the time to chat and sign CD covers and a huge vote of thanks to Paul for coming up with the idea, giving over his house to 40 strangers and being such a good host.  :D

I concur with Pedro's setlist from the notes I scribbled down.  I asked Jem what the title of the new song was and he said it was Lantern.  Here Comes The Flood was a goosebump moment - JM sounded so like PG.  Beautiful arrangements of the Frost* tracks too.  Oh and all the songs had to end with expensive chords.  :lol:

Blunders was called and message left (40 people yelling 'We love you, Craig!') but sadly no reply.

All in all, a great fun and unique event.
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Paul S

bugger about the lack of video, but thems the rules i guess :o
Thanks to Pedro for tweeting the setlist. Would love to have heard here Comes the Flood. if theres a next time I shall have to haul my backside over the Atlantic (unless of course they want to do one over here ;) )
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - DNA

JimD

QuoteBlunders was called and message left (40 people yelling 'We love you, Craig!') but sadly no reply

I can confirm he got it in the end though  :D

https://twitter.com/jsnowdendavies/stat ... 3583054849
About Me
Secret line! Who can see this? PM me!

mr_john

Quote from: "Pedro"I think it was something like this...

It Bites: The Tall Ships
Nick Kershaw: Somebody Loves You
Frost*: Black Light Machine
Duran Duran: Ordinary World
It Bites: Man In A Photograph
It Bites: Still Too Young To Remember
Peter Gabriel: Here Comes The Flood
Kino: This Perfect Tense
It Bites : Send No Flowers
Frost*: Snowman
The Urbane: Don't Say
Brand new Frost* song - "Lantern" (thanks DS)
Human League: Don't You Want Me Baby?
Frost*: The Forget You Song
Seal: Violet
Kino: Letting Go
Frost*: Falling Down
Kino: Loser's Day Parade
Encore - Madness: Our House

Apologies for any typos, my keyboard is covered in drool as a result of that setlist.

If that show was available for digital download I'd certainly pay good money for it. Bad money too.

Pedro

LOL
True, but if it was available as a download, would the "specialness" of being there be reduced, even a little?
I really hope someone else (if there is anyone as amazing as MrPaulBrewer) takes up the challenge of hosting another of these. It sounds steep at £25 a pop (ding!) but the build-up, the banter, the nattering before and after (and of course minimal yapping during!) PLUS two awesome artists plying their trade....worth every penny, mile and Travelodge-induced ache/pain!
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

D S

Quote from: "Pedro"It sounds steep at £25 a pop (ding!) but the build-up, the banter, the nattering before and after (and of course minimal yapping during!) PLUS two awesome artists plying their trade....worth every penny, mile and Travelodge-induced ache/pain!
Actually that was something I forgot to mention.  During the quiet moments in the performance, you could hear a pin drop - it was wondreful!  The audience (who were, let's face it, the genuine fanboys and girls) were utterly respectful and silent, allowing others to enjoy the music.  I am becoming increasingly annoyed by people who spend good money to go to a gig and then spend the whole time yapping rubbish loudly to friends (especially during quieter / acoustic numbers), spoiling it for others who just want to listen to the music.  This was the perfect antidote to that!  8-)
Come on, you\'re a lion!

JimD

Quote from: "D S"Actually that was something I forgot to mention. During the quiet moments in the performance, you could hear a pin drop - it was wondreful! The audience (who were, let's face it, the genuine fanboys and girls) were utterly respectful and silent, allowing others to enjoy the music.

This is v.true and was a very excellent thing.  We were also very fortunate I think in that Mr Brewer had a very cool multi-level house which meant that great views were possible for (I hope) all concerned.
About Me
Secret line! Who can see this? PM me!

rogerg

Quote from: "Pedro"LOL
True, but if it was available as a download, would the "specialness" of being there be reduced, even a little?
I really hope someone else (if there is anyone as amazing as MrPaulBrewer) takes up the challenge of hosting another of these. It sounds steep at £25 a pop (ding!) but the build-up, the banter, the nattering before and after (and of course minimal yapping during!) PLUS two awesome artists plying their trade....worth every penny, mile and Travelodge-induced ache/pain!

I would pay more for what is essentially a private concert, than I would for a show in a big hall.  The intimacy would easily be worth it.

And I disagree that a video release would hurt the specialness at all.  I don't think there would be any problem finding enough people to go to the show, even with a video released afterward.  

I wish we could host one over here!

Mikey

Quote from: "rogerg"I wish we could host one over here!
Your wish is your command
I used to have a signature

Pedro

Quote from: "rogerg"And I disagree that a video release would hurt the specialness at all.
You can disagree with the artists in question...no problem. :)

BTW - I should add additional thanks to Paul....Tickets #1 and #2...

:mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

rogerg

Quote from: "Pedro"
Quote from: "rogerg"And I disagree that a video release would hurt the specialness at all.

oh, I know who I'm disagreeing with!!   8-)

gr8gonzo

Quote from: "Pedro"

BTW - I should add additional thanks to Paul....Tickets #1 and #2...

:mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Tickets 1 AND 2?? Just how tall ARE you??  ;)
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

gr8gonzo

I agree about paying extra for a private show. Lottery willing, I shall rent the House of Blues in Orlando, hire a handful of favo(u)rite bands to play, and fly over anyone who wishes to attend.  :mrgreen:
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

Trapezium Artist

A jolly good time was had by one and all, I'd say. Well worth the journey, both for the gig and, of course, for the chance to meet up with fellow Frost*ies so soon again after Christmas, albeit in a very much more convivial environment than the Scala  <!-- s8-) -->8-)<!-- s8-) -->

If I say that Ash, Philadelphia, Living Forever, Pedro, Mrs Pedro, Racing Hippo, DueyC, Lyn, DS, JimD, and (mini-Merch Desk in tow) the redoubtable Nellie were there, then I have a quarter of the attendees immediately, but have most assuredly missed other denizens of these pages, for which I abjectly apologise ...

Thanks are most assuredly due to Paul for organising the gig and allowing us to share his house for the evening. A cracking idea and I for one didn't bat an eyelid at the entry fee (since he mentioned that it had been flagged as a concern).

As for the gig, well, others have covered the ins and out of the musical side of things, so it surely falls to me to provide some visual eye candy in the form of my customary gig photos:

www.flickr.com/photos/markmccaughrean/sets/72157632922592069/

That said, they're all (apart from a handful at the end, just for you Nellie  <!-- s8-) -->8-)<!-- s8-) -->) taken from one static location in the second (of three <!-- s;-) -->;-)<!-- s;-) -->) row, because it didn't seem appropriate (or even desirable) to get up during the set and move around. Most are with my 85mm f/1.8 lens, because the room was fairly dark, meaning that the framing is similar too.

And as DS has already mentioned, the quiet bits were so extraordinarily quiet, I even felt self-conscious firing the shutter at those moments.

So, they're all a little samey, perhaps, but nevertheless hopefully an addition to memories of the night for some, or a small taster for those who couldn't make it.

For those you weren't there, you'll spot that Jem and John pulled the hilarious (ha!) stunt of switching their name badges. Which led to the entirely predictable and momentarily embarassing situation when I started talking to Jem after the gig, and the first words that came out of my mouth were "Evening, John ..." ...  <!-- s:roll: -->:roll:<!-- s:roll: -->

p.s. Like many there, I too have a nice movie of one song, namely Snowman. But, as the man on the left has said ...

rogerg