Frost* Forum Collab Song - the tech thread (TTT!)

Started by RWA, August 10, 2010, 08:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RWA

Quote from: "rogerg"I have tons of webspace, so I could host midi files, if you'd like.
Thanks Roger. I have enough of that myself but I prefer to keep everything in one place. I'l look into it some more today. But the pm methode for midi files sounds close enough for me. Not everyone needs it; if you do, contact the maker.

I'll make my first executive decision ( :mrgreen: ) about that before tomorrow.

rogerg

El_Mayonnaise

Quick question: I don't have any sort of DAW software (perhaps I'm not the only one) but I would love to contribute to this. I have a BR-600 multi track recorder though. Would problems arise if I were to export the collab song to it, record my bit and send it all or just my stem back or would this work fine?

RWA

Quote from: "El_Mayonnaise"Quick question: I don't have any sort of DAW software (perhaps I'm not the only one) but I would love to contribute to this. I have a BR-600 multi track recorder though. Would problems arise if I were to export the collab song to it, record my bit and send it all or just my stem back or would this work fine?
It would work fine if you send me the parts separately in the end. The full file will operate as reference to hear how you implemented your part. So yeah, is would work.

Hold your horses on submitting to the Soundcloud account btw. I've looked into Box.net some more and becoming convinced that service is way more suitable for collaborating. It can handle any type of file and multiple users can access one and the same folder. I'll have to upgrade for that but that's just fine since I'm in need for a place like this more and more. Pedro and I will do some testing today/tomorrow to see if it works properly.

D S

Quote from: "El_Mayonnaise"Quick question: I don't have any sort of DAW software (perhaps I'm not the only one) but I would love to contribute to this. I have a BR-600 multi track recorder though. Would problems arise if I were to export the collab song to it, record my bit and send it all or just my stem back or would this work fine?
No, you're not alone! I've been reading this and thinking oh damn, how do I / can I contribute with my Yamaha AW16G  digital multi-track???  :oops:  :evil:  
(Yes, I know - I really should move into the world of PC / Mac recording using Protools or whatever but the portable multitrack suits the way my little musical duo writes and records!).
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Pedro

Well, hopefully, when there is something with some shape to it and you can hear where you think something could go, I guess you play the downloaded mp3 through one channel, record you shred-tastic frettery on another channel and upload the two files, solo'd guitar and mixed output to the project.
Unless I'm barking again...
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

RWA

Quote from: "D S"
No, you're not alone! I've been reading this and thinking oh damn, how do I / can I contribute with my Yamaha AW16G  digital multi-track???  :oops:  :evil:  
(Yes, I know - I really should move into the world of PC / Mac recording using Protools or whatever but the portable multitrack suits the way my little musical duo writes and records!).
First: any of these devices can export wav.files so they can be used. If it's any other audio format it can always be converted to a WAV. file. Plenty of free programs out there that can do that.

Second: try to fool around with a free or cheap DAW. Export you files from your HD recorded and import them into the program. You would be surpised what you can do with it. You don't even need a pro audio card for that. Try a program as EnergyXT or  Reaper  . Eventually it's the same as I will do. I use your WAV.files and import them into my DAW (Cubase in my case). It doesn't really matter how it was recorded.

RWA

THE FOLLOWING INFO IS ALSO INCLUDED IN THE FIRST POST OF THIS THREAD AS AN UPDATE

Right! Forget about the SoundCloud thing; it doesn't cut it. I've upgraded my Box.net account and that'll be the place for file handling. Here's a short explanation:

The Frost Forum Collab Song Box: how does it work:

There's a work directory that's only accessible by collaborators:
//http://www.box.net/files#/files/0/f/48618802/Frost_Forum_Collab_Song_(FFCS)
As you'll notice you won't have acces to it unless you've been added/invited as a collaborator.

To get access please drop me a pm on the Frost Forum containing your e-mail address. I'll then create your own personal folder and invite you to join. This is for collaborators only.

The public version of the FFCS will be accessible by anyone: //http://www.box.net/ffcs
But it's only to view and download the content.

So in short:
Anyone can listen and download the content on the public page/folder. That means that anything you upload as a collaborator can be listened at and downloaded by anyone. I want to keep that part of the process open. First of all because it's nice for everyone (whether you collab on this or not) to follow what's happening and it's also clear what is used for the song or not. Second because people might wanna jump in later. To be able to do that you have to be able to hear what's been done all ready.

But.... only "approved" collaborators can upload/edit/comment stuff in the FFCS box. This may sound a bit drastic but first of all I want to keep things manageable and second I don't want any bad spirits to mess with the content. Once you get access to the box it means full access as in "moderator/editor". So people who have no business being there can mess up the entire place. To be sure that won't happen I've created the "drop me a pm first" method. Don't worry, any member who requests it will get access and be able to participate. But at least we'll know who he/she is and if he/she is indeed a forum member over here.

That's not short is it?  :mrgreen:
The thing is a project like this is a big thing to handle and it's hard enough as it is to keep track on things. I hope this procedure will make it workable.

More info will follow soon.

Ron

Pedro

Special mention - Thanks for upgrading your account Ron, much appreciated.

So the Electric Piano bit is up.
The 12-string lead-in and the 1st verse drums are going up now.
I'll do the 1st verse organ and bass tomorrow (too knackered now)...and possibly a theremin-like lead-"vocal".

I've been putting them up in Wav 44.1/16 and they begin to get large, working on the basis that each part (har!) starts at time zero.

So it looks a bit like this :-

Electric Piano==============================
------------------------------------------12-String====
--------------------------------------------------Drums================================

All that "------" silence makes for a bigger file :cry: ....but if you take the three bits and load them into something like Audacity as separate audio tracks then they are aligned perfectly.  :)

I should prolly have done it in mp3 (as you say in "the box") but I'll finish what I've started in the same format and then see what happens next.

RWA

Excellent Pedro. :)

Before I loose myself in this: I first have to finish the TFK tribute song. It's about 80% done. I'll be working on that tomorrow and Friday. First oppertunity to do anything on the FFCS is next week. The last 2 days were all about finding a method to keep this thing in control.

Anyway, I won't be able to work on this everyday. So if you upload something and won't hear about it for a few days then that's because I haven't got to it yet. I will keep this thing going for sure but there might be a week on or off here and there, k?

For now, just upload whatever you think is suitable. I will put it in one project for the first time next week to see if I can figure out a first set up.

rogerg

cool, and many thanks, Ron!!  I'm crazy busy trying to sell a house, and buy another (we made an offer today. gulp), but I want to keep up with what's happening. I have been managing to eke some time out writing music lately, so I plan on keeping that up!

gr8gonzo

Yes, many thanks for the upgraded account. Shall we set up a donation box for the rental?
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

RWA

Quote from: "gr8gonzo"Yes, many thanks for the upgraded account. Shall we set up a donation box for the rental?
No need, thanks.  :)
I needed to do this anyway since I'm getting involved in all sorts of projects at the moment and was looking for a central place anyway. I've been using a free Box.net for about a year now but looking into it these last few days made me realize how powerful this application is. It's perfect for my needs.

Good luck with the house selling/buying Roger! Exciting times, eh?!

Right. It's almost 3:00 a.m. It going to bed!  :?

Ps: this project is GREAT for my post count!  :mrgreen:

Pedro

Cool stuff, Ron. I didn't expect the thing to happen this quickly so no complaints from me.

For the time being I shall keep on puting up the parts (har!) that went into my first effort - not because I think the track needs to follow that particularly but because it's all there is to go on right now.  :)  

I can't see the track keeping the slow tempo for much more than one or two verses - then it might segue into something more progular...who knows.

Right, stuff this, I'm off to bed!

El_Mayonnaise

Hey guys, is there a way to alter a .wav bit rate after it's been recorded? At the moment anything that comes off my br-600 is 705kbps I believe.

After googling it seems windows vista has stripped sample rate info from files in favour of a star rating, so I'm not really very sure of that either. I'm 78.54% certain its 44.1khz though...

I know mp3's aren't that much of a hassle to deal with but this is a learning process for me too.