It Bites cancel Prog Splash

Started by D S, June 03, 2014, 12:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D S

Oh dear...  :(

"It Bites have been forced to pull out of Saturday's Holmfirth Prog Splash. Due to technical issues and a memory card malfunction John Beck's entire It Bites catalogue of keyboard programming - some 30 years worth - has been lost.

Under normal circumstances in the time between now and the gig John would have worked day and night to reprogram it but with him committed to other projects this week the task has proved impossible.  Therefore, rather than put on a sub standard show the band have taken the difficult decision to cancel the gig.

It Bites realise this impacts on both their fans and to other bands on the bill and sincerely apologise to all."

How awful for John (although what is it with keyboard players not backing up their data?! ;))

Wonder if this related to him also playing with Fish now - maybe he was putting new sounds in for that gig and lost all the IB stuff?  Hope he is either able to retreive it somehow or recreate all the patches from scratch if necessary.
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Rook

Ooooooouch.....

Well, seems like a good tine to look at a new keyboard rig if he needs to program from scratch anyway.

D S

Not John - he's wedded to his 80s Roland synths!  Unfortunately, he now appears to be paying a heavy price for his love of aging equipment....  :-\
Come on, you\'re a lion!

DueyC

I've just been talking to superjx10, the man he goes to with his keyboard problems. Apparently the missing data was only held in the keyboard and it got lost when the battery failed (he doesn't use that keyboard regularly). It isn't easy to back up and he'd never done it, so now the battery's been replaced he's got to start again with trying to work out how he had it programmed in the first place.

No connection with the Fish gig, just dreadful timing as he's had to give priority to rehearsals when he could have been reprogramming the It Bites stuff.

DS you're right about the old gear. It was only a matter of time before something catastrophic happened, and sadly full time prog musicians don't earn enough to buy new gear :(
Also to be found running the website and merch sales at www.lifesignsmusic.co.uk

owen

He could sell his soul to the devil and promote Korg like...oh

E.S.

And this is why I have two memory sticks (in case one fails) with my project files in my pocket, plus a copy on my computer and one in the cloud. If I'm shot and my house burns down, the show can still go on.

And yes, old battery powered memory solutions are the nightmare. You have to use sysex to make anything resembling a backup, if it even has that option. It's like teaching a strawberry to speak Klingon. Expecting the D-50 to get alzheimers any second, no idea if the previous owner ever changed the battery.

Damn shame that.

:(

JakeWorrell

"The longer the note, the more dread."