Drumming Software?

Started by Sean, December 31, 2008, 08:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigod

I used a Roland TD9 for the first Tinyfish album which worked perfectly well but my question is; having never used a 'soft' kit, can you midi up EZ drums to a Roland Electronic kit? If so, I'm probably never going to need a live room again.  :D

Bokkie

Good question, Sigod, i use a TD20 and all is fine except for the toms. I hope such a program can handle all the ghost-notes though.
If wishes where horses, we\'re all been eating steak.

NeiloMac

Quote from: "Freddy"Addictive sound way better than EZ in my oppinion. I have used them both and I'm pretty tired of EZ by now. So please check addictive before you make your decision, otherwise you'll regret it! :D

I'd agree with this - I've been using AD instead of EZD on my newest recordings and I'd say that AD is a superior product - much more tweakable and authentic, sound-wise, for my money.  I do wish there was more cymbal slots though - I'd love to have two crashes, a couple of chinas and a couple of splashes all at the same time.

Pedro

Quote from: "sigod"I used a Roland TD9 for the first Tinyfish album which worked perfectly well but my question is; having never used a 'soft' kit, can you midi up EZ drums to a Roland Electronic kit? If so, I'm probably never going to need a live room again.  :D
I would have thought so....but I've not done it.
Ron, are you listening?
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

RWA

Quote from: "Pedro"
Quote from: "sigod"I used a Roland TD9 for the first Tinyfish album which worked perfectly well but my question is; having never used a 'soft' kit, can you midi up EZ drums to a Roland Electronic kit? If so, I'm probably never going to need a live room again.  :D
I would have thought so....but I've not done it.
Ron, are you listening?

No I wasn't paying attention, sorry!  :D

I'm not sure about EZ, I'm pretty sure you can. I have my TD6 hooked up to DFH Superior and that works fine. Including ghost notes and all. The You/I remix is a good example of how it sounds.

The interface is easy. You just highlight the "to be triggered" instrument and press the midi learn button. Then hit whatever midi device you have (in this case a bunch of drum pads) and the sound is assigned to the pad.
The only tricky part is the hi-hat. It always is because footcontroller and pad have to work together. That usually needs some editing afterwords.

First 2 Ghost Circus records were played on the same kit using the Roland soundmodule. I NEVER go back to that again because todays software sample libraries are WAY better with more layers and an overall dry sound. Including drum leaks and all. I let it leak all over the place ( :mrgreen: ) which makes it sound so much more "real".

Bokkie

Quote from: "RWA"I let it leak all over the place ( :mrgreen: ) which makes it sound so much more "real".

So.. now you have a vocal booth with a permanent seat? :mrgreen:
If wishes where horses, we\'re all been eating steak.

rogerg

Pedro

Quote from: "Bokkie"
Quote from: "RWA"I let it leak all over the place ( :mrgreen: ) which makes it sound so much more "real".

...left up most of the time?
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

RWA

Quote from: "Pedro"
Quote from: "Bokkie"

...left up most of the time?
Yes and yes.  ;)

weezul

another vote for Superior Drummer.. brilliant