How did you discover Frost*?

Started by mr_john, December 16, 2010, 10:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokkie

I was going through the prog section of a local record-shop and came a across Milliontown. Never heard from Frost*,Kino or IQ. I bought it just for the cover and it was a jackpot!
If wishes where horses, we\'re all been eating steak.

DueyC

Quote from: "Bokkie"I was going through the prog section of a local record-shop and came a across Milliontown. Never heard from Frost*,Kino or IQ. I bought it just for the cover and it was a jackpot!

Take a bow, Vitamin P  :D
Also to be found running the website and merch sales at www.lifesignsmusic.co.uk

Pedro

Welcome aboard paiste, nice to see you here. :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

RobRideout

I half reluctently went the Dream Theater gig in leeds where Frost* supported, and didn't know anything about prog. Then I watched some of the Frost* reports before the gig and got hooked! By the time I went to the gig I was more excited to see Frost* than DT!
And from there I discovered IB, Kino and Spocks etc.
I kind of branched out into Meshuggah, Scale the Summit and Opeth types of stuff as well from this :P
If it wasn't for Jem I'd still be listening to Glam and Power Metal, not that there's anything wrong with that ;)

mr_john

Quote from: "Bokkie"I was going through the prog section of a local record-shop and came a across Milliontown. Never heard from Frost*,Kino or IQ. I bought it just for the cover and it was a jackpot!

Just prioves the "never judge a book by its cover" adage a load of cobblers!!  :D

maonayze

Well I've been a Marillion fan since I was 14 (I'm 42 now) and into Genesis, Pallas etc. etc. but dipped out of the music scene to do the family thing, kids etc. Then got back into Marillion around about the time when Anoraknophobia came out and really got back into them in a big way and met loads of people and made loads of new friends. One of which happened to be a certain John Merrick who, over the last few years has been reminding me of all the bands I used to like and some of the bands that have snook past me while I was sleeping. I was asked to go to the last Octobers Summers End gig by Mr Merrick to see a good friend of ours (Mr Jim Sanders) in a band called Tinyfish. It also happened to be the same night that a certain super prog band called Defence of the Realm were playing who happened to have a certain bass player (Pete Trewavas) playing with them that night also. So this looked like a no brainer as it was only an hour up the road and a quick tunnel under the border guards to get in (from Wales see, mun).

Saw Tinyfish and they blew me away....absolutely superb. Then it went totally F**Kin nuts with air raids and phone calls from the Prog Traitor Phil Collins and some of the best "Modern" prog I've ever heard. Well that night we had so much FUN watchin that gig, laughing out loud in some places. I met JM and JG and his brother SG all in the same night and had an absolute blast. This breath of fresh air sparked me into buying all that was available from Frost and to get tickets for the Derby Gig (Blimey it was cold !!, but well worth the trip). I'll be on the lookout for any gigs from now on.

The End. or is it?
Mwhahahahahaha

DueyC

Hi maonayze and welcome to the crazy world of Frost*.

What is your favourite biscuit, and would you prefer tea or coffee?
Also to be found running the website and merch sales at www.lifesignsmusic.co.uk

catherine

Through a convoluted path...

The 21st Century Schizoid Band were playing in Cambridge a few years back and I got chatting to their support act, a solo bass player called Steve Lawson. I then went to various of his gigs, including one that he did as a duo with Theo Travis. I then started going to see Theo Travis gigging (his jazz quartet comes highly recomended, btw), and was intrigued by the prog band he played in, The Tangent, so went to see them at a couple of CRS gigs. Then I noticed that the Tangent were playing at Summers End 2008, with a band called Frost* just on before them, and that I could get to that gig reasonably easily as I was in Wales that weekend. So I did a bit of research into Frost*, liked what I heard, joined the Frost* forum, and I think it's fair to say that I have not been the same since!

LeonH

Frost* were one of those happy internet discoveries. I bought MIDI controllers earlier in the year and hated them, so I started researching proper synths for my band stuff, which led to Juno Stage and then to Fantom G and then to Fantom G videos by Jem which led to Frost* reports, which led to weeing myself laughing which led to buying EIMA and Milliontown which led to the best song I have discovered this year: Hyperventilate! The Frost reports are very entertaining, great to see someone sharing the creative process, but I get a little scared I may wee my pants laughing each time.  :P

catherine

Leon, we all wear these on the Frost* forum

apart from ProgDog, who wears one of these

ProgDog

Quote from: "catherine"Leon, we all wear these on the Frost* forum

apart from ProgDog, who wears one of these

I'll have you know I'm an all grown up dog who doesn't need nappies. I wear one of these little beauties. :D

That gr8gonzo's a smart chap for a human. Knows what he's talking about.

Yeah, That's Right, I'm a dog. Get over it. Woof,woof baby.

D S, My new bestest buddy is even more cleverer than Gonz

Villuccikeys

I first discovered Frost* by being linked to Toys.  I had no idea who the band was (nor do I recall how I was linked there in the first place) but I started listening to it thinking it was an off-kilter pop song.  There was something I liked about it, but I didn't know what - considering that I was in the mindset that it wasn't written by a band I would listen to regularly.  

Well, I listened to Toys enough to become curious of the other material.  I downloaded Dear Dead Days and was blown away.  But, I still wasn't sure what I was listening to.  I figured all the keyboards and crazy arpeggios were faked in the studio.  I figured this was a band sort of like Muse.  Lots of arpeggios.  Most of them synthesized with an arpeggio button.  But, I kept listening anyway.

Well, it was about this time that I learned of Milliontown.  I downloaded the album and listened to the whole thing in one sitting.  There was no going back.  I knew what I was listening to.  And it was intended for the ears of Gods.  

Frost* has been my favorite band since.

Ash

Ash
xxx

DannySoisSage

I heard about Milliontown, then I went onto the MySpazz and heard the second sampler (I think) for EIMA, the one that had 1976 in it and the whole thing made me cream hard, I must have listened to that a hundred times while waiting for the album, then I started watching the Frost* Reports, got Milliontown then when EIMA came out I was a million percent in  :mrgreen:

I now own far too much Frost* trinketry lol  :roll:

Villuccikeys

Quote from: "Sarah"Was that Pedros Toys video?

That's what i was wondering.  I found that before joining the forum.  Pedro, if you're out there... LEND US YOUR VOICE!