Mike Portnoy quits Dream Theater

Started by XeRocks81, September 09, 2010, 03:15:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gav

Bloody Hell, I wasn't expecting this...

Although, I must say that I prefer the older DT material, such as Images And Words, so it could be interesting to see if the band goes back in that direction... :|

Hmm... the memory of that Southampton gig is starting to sound much better now... ;)
Broadband! A whole 2.5MB of it!

RWA

Quote from: "D S"Wonder who on earth will be able fill MP's drum throne though and will the diehard fans accept them...?

:lol:

Phrog

From what I've heard over the last couple of years, Mike seemed to pretty much have a strangle-hold on the musical direction of the band - it's no secret that it's mainly due to his 'system' that John Myung (who wrote some of their best early material) doesn't write lyrics any more. In this respect sympathize with the rest of the band. I'm not sure I'd be too pleased if I was them and he was expecting me to put my career on hold while he crammed his schedule with a gazillion other bands. He's always said that DT is his baby and that he would never prioritise any other band over them. Until, of course, one of them becomes more commercially successful than DT. Hmm...

Musically, this could go either way. Mike was very fan-minded, which is great in terms of getting the right releases out, but not so great when he has a slightly misconceived idea of the fans actually want in terms of music, which I suspect was a big factor in the current 'formula' being established. On the other hand, we don't actually know how much of the really good stuff came from MP. It could be that we end up with a whole album of JP/JR wankery next.

This will certainly be a turning point, lets just hope it's in the right direction!

El_Mayonnaise

I love Mike and I think everything will go great for everybody.

But Mike just wanted to make everything so MERTAL!
Growling and blastbeats and double bass drums (whats up with that?)

I can see DT becoming a band of real virtuosity. No more Mike playing four to the floor and screaming.

As for the next drummer, I have no idea. I hope its someone obscure. I'd love it to be TBE with his cute brummie accent But we'll see.

And he dropped out of DT but hasn't joined Storm Corrosion with Wilson and Akerfeldt? Whats up with that?

gav

Mike is a fantastic drummer, and a HUGE part of DT, especially in the organisation area- the time and care he puts into things as simple as the video show at gigs is just crazy!
But yes, he has definitely been pulling the music in the direction that he wants it, and I agree with others- death roars and blast beats just aren't Dream Theater.
Broadband! A whole 2.5MB of it!

MikeEvs

Here's a video of an interview with Mike shot during the recent Transatlantic tour, he covers quite a few topics including why John Myung doesn't write lyrics anymore:

http://vimeo.com/14827294

Sean

I am a diehard Dream Theater fan, I mean hell they are my number 1 favorite band. But as far as creativeness the last good genuinely good album was Octavarium. It will be interest to see as this all plays out. Personally I think I will be back within one albums time. Though I would have to say that with him and Avenged Sevenfold there is gonna be some good shit from them. Hell their new album kicks ass! Whatever way he goes I still wish him the best and hope he's happy with the musical direction he decides to take.
[size=150]Carpe Diem[/size]

XeRocks81

More than a sound, the rest of the band now have to build up a new identity for themselves from the ground up!   Mike had become so closely associated with all aspects of the band that we barely know those guys anymore.

johninblack

I'd be rather chuffed if he joined Avenged Sevenfold full time. Perhaps if Blunders is indisposed some time he could join Frost* for a workout. :twisted:
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

RWA

Quote from: "MikeEvs"Here's a video of an interview with Mike shot during the recent Transatlantic tour, he covers quite a few topics including why John Myung doesn't write lyrics anymore:

http://vimeo.com/14827294
Just saw this. I love this guy. He's doing so many great things. I got back to playing drums myself after seeing him doing a drum clinic back in '99. You don't have to love everything he does but I love driven people like this that create stuff and get things done. Remember how he brought a lot of bands to the spot lights by bringing them on tour with DT.

I really hope people cut him some slack. It's like a lot of people are telling him what he should or shouldn't do. It happens all the time with celabs. It's rediculious. Love them for what they are or go find something else that suits you better. Jem once wrote a nice little song about that btw.....  ;)

Rock on Mike!  8-)

Dave M

Octavaian was the last one I enjoyed, they've become a bit too metal for me.

They've been together so long now I think they've become formulaic in their music, perhaps this will give the band a new life .. afterall he's only the drummer  ;)

One thing is for sure, we will all be watching and listening now .. some waiting for a fall and others with open minds.

Seems a bit odd that the band weren't prepared to take a break, but I guess if the others are all primed and ready to go ..
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

Ecosse

Being a big DT fan, and also MP on his own, I was really surprised to hear this.

But I'm actually not as gutted I was expecting to be.

Will be an interesting one to see how both sides go from here.
| Chris |
Twitter

davejd

Quote from: "Ecosse"Being a big DT fan, and also MP on his own, I was really surprised to hear this.

But I'm actually not as gutted I was expecting to be.

Will be an interesting one to see how both sides go from here.
I agree with Ecosse. Having been a fan since Images And Words, and having seen many bands go through this type of upheaval, both Mike and hopefully Dream Theater will continue to make interesting and uplifting music. Afterall, a change is as good as a rest isn't it?

ChrisX

Quote from: "Jem"Perhaps, they'll go all AOR on us.  :lol:  :lol:

Oh, you mean we finally get to hear some decent tunes again from them since that is what I found lacking in their output ever since Falling Into Infinity.
--
Christian
"Remember what\'s been given, not taken away" - Brett Kull (Echolyn)

ChrisX

Quote from: "MrBabou"He says DT is starting to burn him out, but like others mentioned, with all his other projects, I don't think it's DT, but the entirety of his involvements that are burning him out.

The thing is, as has been said by others, he wasn't just the drummer but for the most part THE force behind the slow ascent of Dream Theater. He was the locomotive that kept the DT train running while the rest of the band were 'lounging' in one of the passenger cars so it seems. From what I have gathered over the years he was a huge organisational force within DT and it was from all of these responsibilities that he wanted to take a break for a year or two. All of his other projects were purely projects to which he contributed only a musical level, although I would reckon that he might be a bit more involved in TransAtlantic. My best guess is that we will see hem get involved in even more projects on a purely musical level because that is what he loves doing most. Also with the whole A7X thing: he isn't in charge but purely in it for his own pleasure. He probably just has to turn up with his drumtech and roadie and bang away and at the end of the tour gets a nice fat paycheck.
--
Christian
"Remember what\'s been given, not taken away" - Brett Kull (Echolyn)