Slow forum?

Started by ich_bin_besser, April 09, 2009, 01:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ich_bin_besser

Anyone else experiencing problems lately with browsing the forum? Sometimes, it takes forever to load. Next click works fine, but then it might take long again.
Am I the only one?
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Jem

No, it's been happening to me for ages. We can't get to the bottom of it.

Bokkie

Yes, me too. And no your not alone in that.  About a week or two. Maybe there is some bad weather on the channel.
And maybe it's my Ubuntu box, firefox? who nows...
If wishes where horses, we\'re all been eating steak.

MikeEvs

Yeah happens to me too and sometimes it pops up with SQL errors

MikeEvs

Forum must have known I was complaining next click after that post and I got:

"Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, mailto:webmaster@frostmusic.net">webmaster@frostmusic.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log."

Mouse

Yeah, it keeps happenning to me too. Doesn't bother me, as I've made friends with the Refresh button!  :)

Maybe the poor Forum just struggles to contain all of the madness we dump into it.  8-)

johninblack

It's them bleedin' squirrels again. :mrgreen:
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

JamesA

It is happening to me from time to time, but not just here.

I blame all those people who are googling 'google' on google - it really is breaking the interweb.

Mouse

Quote from: "johninblack"It's them bleedin' squirrels again. :mrgreen:

Teaming up with the peacocks in some kind of unholy alliance!  :lol:

gr8gonzo

Quote from: "MikeEvs"Forum must have known I was complaining next click after that post and I got:

"Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, mailto:webmaster@frostmusic.net">webmaster@frostmusic.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log."

I've had a few of those pop up in the past couple of weeks, but it usually passes quickly.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

rogerg

yup. it's been pretty clunky for a couple of weeks now.

RacingHippo

The errors look to me like contention for database connections or running out of memory... and the contention could in turn be caused by lack of memory.

The site (and forum) are hosted by FastHosts and so will be sitting on a shared server. There's no telling what other sites are sharing it, and what their demands are on resources.
FastHosts would need to increase the memory capacity to remove the problem, but even then there's no guarantee it'd go away completely as it only takes one memory-hungry website to suck it all up again.  It takes careful management to balance out the hungry sites with lean ones, and a big company like FastHosts wouldn't make sufficient return on the required time investment to manage it that closely.

This is why I went for a reseller arrangement with a small company 5 years ago, and have never looked back. I've never seen this happen on any of the forums/sites I host on my server... but then the company care more about having very happy customers than squeezing the maximum revenue out of each server :)
* May contain nuts.

Pedro

Seen Twitter apparently hitting capacity a few times recently....
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"