Your Top 5 of 2009

Started by Ecosse, December 23, 2009, 11:23:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

L33VEY

And the winners are......

... taking 5 points for a first place, 4 for second etc etc and 1 point for being "in no particular order".

In 5th place we have Porcupine Tree - The Incident (perhaps I should persevere with it)

In 4th - Dream Theater with Black Clouds and Silver Linings (that headlining slot with Frost* surely helped)

3rd - Big Big Train - The Underfall Yard

2nd Transatlantic - The Whirlwind

And 1st, by just one point are our close relations Darwins Radio with Template for a Generation.

Well done Dec - come up and collect your ........
now WHERE has he gone?

Maybe their unofficial PR lady should come and get the award instead....
Currently playing in The Frost*mobile:  Frost* Day and Age

Pedro

That's a good list.

But, "The Incident" has yet to bite for me too.
Santa brought me BBT's Underfall Yard, Transatlantic's Whirlwind and PT's Incident.

I had heard TUY before but still played it a lot from the CD.
Then I tried The Whirlwind and it grabbed me immediately and wouldn't get out of the player.
So I eventually thought, "right PT, you're up..." and I listened to it....but at the end it was only really Time Flies that stirred me, probably because of the previous coverdisk listen.  I tried agin with the same outcome.

I guess I need to keep trying....and I will.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

catherine

Yes, The Incident is... OK. I'm still waiting for it to really grab me in a way that other PT stuff has. Deadwing was the first I heard and its appeal was absolutely immediate; as were In Absentia, Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun... FOABP not quite so much, yet.

turbo

underfall yard - big big train                                                                
t.f.g - darwins radio
whirlwind - transatlantic
frost fest - frost*
dancing to the devils beat - strawbs
don't know if frost fest really counts but I love it and cant stop playing it so there.  :D
?"By the beard of Zeus"

Bert

Quote from: "Pedro"That's a good list.

But, "The Incident" has yet to bite for me too.
Santa brought me BBT's Underfall Yard, Transatlantic's Whirlwind and PT's Incident.

I had heard TUY before but still played it a lot from the CD.
Then I tried The Whirlwind and it grabbed me immediately and wouldn't get out of the player.
So I eventually thought, "right PT, you're up..." and I listened to it....but at the end it was only really Time Flies that stirred me, probably because of the previous coverdisk listen.  I tried agin with the same outcome.

I guess I need to keep trying....and I will.

Same here. I think the bonus disc is better actually.

I think it's the first time Steven Wilson has allowed himself to get carried away by the concept rather than making a cohesive, and concise, musical statement. That said, it was artistically courageous but, for me, just doesn't quite work.

But, isn't it great that they felt able to do that and have success with it ? The Incident is no fair ground ride, and if it's reaching and connecting with a wider audience, then I say huzzah for that.

I feel the same about Black Clouds and Silver Linings... now ;-)

As for The Whirlwind, I'm afraid it just leaves me cold. And I loved BAF and SMPTE. Maybe I should try harder with that too.

Anyway, I'm off to pseud's corner...
I am a Norfolk Man and glory in being so!
http://www.deadnobodies.net
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now
Your world is now officially a better place!

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

Pedro

It would be a funny world if we were all the same....easier to buy trousers, but weird.

I shall stay is suet corner for a bit.  :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

NickyV

Steve Vai - Where The Wild Things Are
Blind Ego - Numb
IQ - Frequency
Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
Lee Abraham - Black & White
Life\'s great!!

gr8gonzo

Nice list. I've been meaning to listen to Frequency again. I must get around to doing that. Listened to Black Clouds last week. I never did list my top 5, but my non-prog side would probably skew my answers.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!  :)
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

davejd

Quote from: "NickyV"Steve Vai - Where The Wild Things Are
Blind Ego - Numb
IQ - Frequency
Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
Lee Abraham - Black & White
splendid list Steve Vai's Where The Wild Things Are is one of the best videos i've seen for ages, with the added bonus of 2 mad fiddlers!  welcome to the mad house!

NickyV

Thanks a lot! Happy to be here!  :D
Life\'s great!!

Mouse

gr8gonzo

Quote from: "Mouse"Welcome, Mr. Nick!

While Nicky may well enjoy Spock's Beard, she probably doesn't perform with the band very often. Even if she does, you wouldn't know it, because, well, she's a ninja. The only person who could sense her is Chuck Norris, but he hates prog, which is why the mainstream is so reluctant to embrace it.

The more you know...
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

NickyV

No, I usually perform with arK, or so I was asked a few days ago. Think I stick to moonlighting as JJ's hair stylist though.. and don't quit my day job.
Life\'s great!!

rogerg

Quote from: "Mouse"Welcome, Mr. Nick!

oh, you couldn't be more wrong!   8-)

Mouse

:shock:  Oh, whoops... My apologies, ma'am...  :oops: