Main Menu

*NEW* DPRP Review

Started by Mickdoo22, December 07, 2008, 11:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pastoor

Personally, I think it's great the Jem has a day job that enables him to also produce music that doesn't appeal to large masses of people like pop music. Not just everybody would invest his savings in a record like eima. Great job Jem!

I like the "pop influences" in Frost very much.

gr8gonzo

I love that Frost* music truly is an experiment in mass appeal, bridging the gap between pop and prog, daring those on either side to cross.  How many other bands aspire to as much?  As much as I love Milliontown, EIMA is a completely different creature of distinction, fantastic in its uniqueness ("they got no horns and they got no tails; they don't even know of our existence...").

Brilliant, as we well already knew.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

johninblack

Quote from: "LivingForever"If anything, it's influences from 'The Day Job' that make me enjoy Frost* more than other bands of a supposedly similar genre. Where else would you hear the type of ProTools trickery that you get in Black Light Machine or the 'everything under the sun in 3 minutes 30' of 'Toys'?

Couldn't agree more. It just pisses me off that they seem to set out to not like it but the small amount of integrity they have makes them admit to liking it, why? whats wrong with it?
It seems they really want to say "it's great and the pop influence is remarkable" but can't for fear of upsetting the fucking hobbits. See my sig for what they can do.
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Dave M

... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

Dave R

There's a reason people become critics...  ;)

Geetar

Quote from: "eponymous"
Quote from: "James_S"
Quote from: "eponymous"I'm reminded of the great hobbit outcry of 1983.  Yes' "90125" certainly rattled a few cages.

Its a shame it didn't rattle them a bit more - that album was a total breath of fresh air :)
Indeed.  And upon reflection I find it interesting, personally at least, that I rushed out and bought it upon release.  Then rushed out and bought "Big Generator" upon release.  Eventually picked up "Union", ho hum.  Eventually picked up "Talk" and liked it better than "Union".  Then didn't buy anything from Yes until the 35th Anniversary Collection.

Admittedly a lot more going on during that timeframe but fairly interesting that I mostly dropped out after Rabin left/was booted/was called home/whatever.

Me too, exactly the same experience.

I wish TR would bleedin' hurry up with that solo album he's been threatening for years. Either that, or team up with Jon for a few small gigs.....  :twisted:
This space for sale.

timitos

Well well, quite some Dutch Progressive Bashing going on here.

I don't particularly mind though.

The part of the reviews that resembles my opinion the closest is this:
QuoteCuriously the vocals are often far back in the mix, a situation common to Milliontown. In fact Godfrey's production overall takes some getting used to with loud sections that are so dense it's hard to distinguish individual instruments contrasting with interludes that are so quiet I had to check the track counter to confirm the disc was still playing.

Mikey

I haven't seen many 9's or 10's on DPRP, sure someone will prove me wrong, so decent scores whatever they say.
It's their site, they're entitled to their opinion, at least they've played it all.
I'm sure there's plenty of people who don't agree with some of the opinions on here.
I used to have a signature

johninblack

Quote from: "J Jonah Jameson"http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=191846

Nice...

Good review. Sounds like he really enjoyed it.
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

wickedwitch

just shy of a masterpiece.   room for improvement on nr 3 then! x

Wickerman

What a brilliant review!  Kind of sums up why I like this band so much...

LivingForever

Excellent review - eloquently explains up why it is good without resorting to sycophancy which I'm sure most of us would lapse into if we tried to write something like that here... ;-)
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/

wickedwitch

you mean... oooh eima is dreamy and Jem Godfrey is god and some of the band are hot!

nah never! :twisted:

Geddy Lee

Quote from: "Mikey"It's their site, they're entitled to their opinion, at least they've played it all.
I'm sure there's plenty of people who don't agree with some of the opinions on here.

Yes you are quite correct that it is their site and they are entitled to their opinion but it doesn't stop the DPRP being a bunch of blinkered "stick in the muds" who are very very sadly living in the past where a song or band can only be "Prog" if it sounds like this or that...( insert you favourite classic prog bands name here), and if the song is this ( again insert a long time period, probably over 8 mins) long. It's opinions and attitudes like theirs that have given and still to this day give anything though of as PROG a bad name. I have had many run ins with people such as these and I know how up their own arses about what is prog and what isn't they really are, and to be honest, they sicken me. These are the people who don't want a NEW album from TULL, YES, GENESIS, RUSH etc,etc. What they want is an OLD album because they just aren't interested in anything NEW ( you know it's just not 2112 or TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS is it?)
Why do they find it so hard to embrace the new? to LISTEN WITHOUT PREJUDICE to anything?
If you don't like something then that is fine, and of course you can say so, but they just don't like it because it doesn't sound OLD. Saddos the lot ot 'em! :) The sooner they piss of back to Middle Earth the better for music I say! 8-)
Be A Hero, Kill Your Ego