Word from The Jemster

Started by RacingHippo, April 15, 2011, 04:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeWorrell

Quote from: "grif"It just seems a bit sad that he seems to have fallen out of love with Frost*

If you really like/love something I think there is a tendency to go "too far" before you realise you need a break from it. I've done it in the past with bands and things; rather than leaving or taking a break just before the enthusiasm wanes I get myself into a position where I can't go on any longer and have completely stop. I get the impression this is what has happened with Frost*, the sense of a weight lifting is very familiar.

Think of that song you loved until you played it to death and then started to hate it. And remember how you discovered it again a few years later and loved it all over again.

I still wouldn't call this the definite end yet. There are years of future ahead of us and anything could happen. Allow me to quote from Jem's facebook page.

Quote from: "Cameron Skittless Conner"Jem... Will we every hear 1976?
Quote from: "Jem"Probably. One day...

But still I think its best left that way for now. I'm trying to think about the future of Jem's music as the next chapter so to speak - despite it not being prog - and that will do me just fine, I wouldn't say I was a *massive* prog fan anyway.
"The longer the note, the more dread."

Mikey

Quote from: "JakeWorrell"
Quote from: "boswell"Incidentaly, has Jem had a falling out with any of the band members?

Jem, Johnny Mitchell and Blunders are often having a laugh on Twitter and talking about meeting up so as far as I know everyone is still getting on great.

My thought on the pressure that Jem felt was maybe trying to accommodate the hardest working man in prog.
We have It Bites and Arena this year plus talk of another Kino album.
Then you have to work around Blunders & Nathan, maybe the windows were a bit small and out of alignment.
As I say, just a thought
I used to have a signature

DueyC

Quote from: "Mikey"talk of another Kino album.

JM tweeted (in response to a tweet from me) that they're currently on the shelf.  :(
Also to be found running the website and merch sales at www.lifesignsmusic.co.uk

Gman

QuoteMikey wrote:
 talk of another Kino album.

JM tweeted (in response to a tweet from me) that they're currently on the shelf.

Sniff sniff  :cry:

Mikey

I'm puzzled by people slagging off something that they haven't heard yet, just because it hasn't got the Frost* moniker.
Another aspect of the pressure on Jem that we inadvertantly put on him.

RacingHippo

* May contain nuts.

Pedro

Sorry, who is slagging off the new stuff?  :?
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

D S

Sorry Mikey but I was a bit puzzled by that too!  ;)  Looking back over the last few pages, i can only see people saying things like "I'm still intrigued to hear what his new direction will sound like as I'm sure he will continue to write great music."  
I think the vast of those who still hang around here a) remain bit sad to see the demise of Frost* but have kind of got over it now! and b) are really interested to hear whatever Jem comes up with next.  Sure, it won't be Frost* but the man is undeniably hugely talented and I'm sure it will be more than worth a listen whenever it comes out.*

*Unless it's country rap or hardcore polka!  :mrgreen:
Come on, you\'re a lion!

Mikey

Quote from: "Pedro"Sorry, who is slagging off the new stuff?  :?
I may have exagerrated a bit but there have been some end of the world is nigh comments with the demise of Frost*

Pedro

It's true that some people have taken the news of Frost*'s retirement pretty badly, but only because they don't want it to stop. I'm hoping that no-one would channel this energy to predict that the new stuff will be bad, only to say that they're sad it won't be "Frost*".
I hope everyone will give Jem 3.0 a fair hearing before commenting.

El_Mayonnaise

Really been getting into Richard Barbieri's solo work, if Jem's is in the same format but different I'll be well chuffed.

If you don't know, check out "Cave" or "Light on Glass"

I could really get into this electro stuff :D

XeRocks81

//http://jemgodfrey.blogspot.com/

QuoteTime being what it is i.e. not like a jaffa cake that you can blat into a bigger surface area with a rolling pin, I'm temporarily suspending my own music so that I can focus on doing my bit for the fabulous new Losers' album. There isn't enough time, according to the Gregorian calendar and the Earth's orbit, to do three full time music jobs each day sadly.

This isn't such a bad thing actually as I can spend a bit more time finding my new "voice". I'm aware that it's not quite right yet and there's no point in hurrying something out that's not really what I want to sound like. Besides, what Tom and Eddy have come up with is so bloody good, I'm having a great time anyway.

What the chuff, let's enjoy the moment!

Well that came faster than I expected... :shock:

Pedro

:D :D :D
It won't last... ;)
This only having one pair of hands thing really does cramp one's style doesn't it? :)

Mikey

Quote from: "Pedro"I hope everyone will give Jem 3.0 a fair hearing before commenting.
Wordamundo

Mikey

Fanfare for the Common Man by Aaron Copland is a classical piece of music.
If, Jem in his pop/Frost*/electronic guise decided to cover it, would it still be classical music even with a pop/Frost*/electro bent?

So can't electro be progressive?

It can be boring, (see comments about Tangerine Dream being the most boring live act ever), but I can't see that with Jem