Main Menu

Roland D-50

Started by E.S., January 15, 2011, 06:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.S.

So, I'm getting one tomorrow for next to nothing. I've always wanted one, I think it's the coolest of the 80's synths.

But, my fellow D-50 owners, because there must be some of you here... does anyone know of any collections of sysex files for it? I knew a guy years ago who had one, and he had thousands of patches for it, lots of classic stuff. I have tens of thousands for the DX7/FM7, so I guess there must be an equal collection out there.

rogerg

lucky guy!!  

I had the choice when I bought my first real synth (1988) between that and the Ensoniq SQ80.  I chose the SQ80 because of the built-in sequencer, but I did over the years wish I had that D50 sound...

David

I just have D-110 : cheaper rack alternative, not even a keyboard  :D
But it sounds cool 80-ish, though.

Mooncat

Snap, I too have the D110, and I'm a drummer!!!!!

(It does make a nice clunk when I hit it tho'............................)
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

E.S.

A rack unit would be perfect for me, but I just can't miss this one. Picking it up today.

There's something nice about buying new synths, it always results in new riffs and songs. Instant inspiration. Can't wait to start programming.  :D

Againesis

Quote from: "Mooncat"Snap, I too have the D110, and I'm a drummer!!!!!

(It does make a nice clunk when I hit it tho'............................)
:lol:
There are only 10 types of people]

Dave R

Quote from: "E.S."So, I'm getting one tomorrow for next to nothing. I've always wanted one, I think it's the coolest of the 80's synths.

But, my fellow D-50 owners, because there must be some of you here... does anyone know of any collections of sysex files for it? I knew a guy years ago who had one, and he had thousands of patches for it, lots of classic stuff. I have tens of thousands for the DX7/FM7, so I guess there must be an equal collection out there.

I'm not a D-50 owner, but I play one on TV. You could try starting here. Seems to have a lot of info.
Also here.
And here.

E.S.

It's glorious, thank you!

Now, I can't get the damn thing to recieve sysex data.. I get a "midi communication error" no matter what I do. Found This, but I can't make it work.. What's the state of the art sysex program out there?

vento

Try Midiox (PC) - I got mine to receive data, but I had to slow down the comms speed a little (the D50 is quite fussy about receiving Sysex). Sometimes it would say "MIDI communication error" but when I went back into the patch banks, all the sounds I loaded were there. Temperamental, but worth it!

http://www.midiox.com/

E.S.

Thanks a lot! It works perfectly now.  :D
Man, this synth is a lot of fun. Instant inspiration.

vento

Yes it is. It still sounds amazing. About 18 months ago I picked up a fairly scruffy one on eBay for £130 and played with it for a year before selling it on again (for about the same price). It was always the keyboard I lusted after as a teenager. Buying one, even all these years later, even for a short time, was a box I had to tick! I wish they would make an official VST of it (like Korg have done with the M1/Wavestation).

Enjoy :)

E.S.

Yeah, that would have been perfect. Sadly, no one else can make one either, because of the copyrighted samples in it. I think it could be worth it, the D-50 is still relevant, and very useful in a lot of music. It can sound like almost anything.

At least they made a D-50 card thingy for the V-synth, that's a good thing.

Browsing patches at the moment, and learning some basic editing. Ah, the joy of new toys.  :D

Jem

I've got the D50 built into my V-Synth XT. That's why I sold my minty 50 in the end.

Nice touch on the V-synth version is that it has a setting for "squeaky clean 21st century output" or "slightly dodgy 80's converters like the real thing" on it.

That and it comes with all the sounds that were on Roland's original ROM cards, PLUS it's got a bunch of new waveforms added. And it's also a V-synth and a vocoder.

In fact I'm buggered if I know why Roland didn't keep the D50 option going on the V-synth GT. They missed a trick there. Imagine layering D50 with a V-synth patch? It would have been awesomely good.

E.S.

Holy Mother of Rolandshire, that would have been the ultimate synth.  :D

Gman

Was watching one on eBay yesterday...went for £265 in the end. Bah.

Don't suppose they did a D50 expansion card for the X7?