The Dividing Line - Live

Started by johninblack, April 08, 2010, 04:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooncat

Quotethe presence of TBE is just as surprising (and welcome)

Having spoken to TBE a few times since he 'left', I think it was more about not being able to commit a lot of time to bands/touring/recording due to changes in his family life and taking on the job at Kiddy College. I think Jem's new working model clearly offers TBE the freedom to be able to contribute
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "Brom"
Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"
Quote from: "Jem"The current thinking is that we'll be opening the Summer's End gig with it.  :D

That's why I'm currently frantically buying Fantoms.  :lol:

BTW, am I the only lame-o here who didn't know that Jem's beloved Genesis also wrote a song called The Dividing Line, on Calling All Stations? I just did a search for some lyrics, came up with that, and was surprised. Just goes to show that I've always been more of a Yesser than a Genesoid, although since we're talking Calling All Stations here, I can surely be excused, right?

Not just you TA old boy. Until I read that I was also in the dark. Never got the urge to delve into that album. Now I know. More of a Camelite myself tho I do enjoy Gabrielesque Genesis. I'm often amazed just how much I've missed over the years, and am still missing!
 :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Sheesh; thanks Brom, for coming to stand beside me in my time of befuddlement  :D

Just to be clear, I have nothing against Genesis particularly, and have also enjoyed both Gabriel-era stuff and, for whatever reason, Duke. Indeed, scratching this ancient itch suggests I may even have been to see Genesis at Wembley around that time. Double drums with Phil Collins and Chester Thompson?

But that said, I never followed them in any way, so when I got a lot more interested in classical music in my thirties, they dropped completely off my radar screen (well, as much as Phil Collins and his latter-day bald-headed love-sick solo bullshit could ever be scrubbed off that screen even with paint stripper  :evil: ).

Whereas I always had time for Yes , who also perpetrated some crimes against humanity in later days, but who'd long since earned a perpetual get-out-of-jail-free card thanks to Fragile-through-Tormato.

So yes, my prog history is very, very patchy at best, and in that regard, I'm thoroughly enjoying listening to the Amazing Wilf's European Perspective podcasts, as he has a vastly broader view of things to educate me, even if he has more of folky bent sometimes relative to my symphonic one.

(Wilf: I'm up to the 1974 Part 2 podcast, so falling further behind by the week: stop making such long shows, dammit  ;) )

Tricky

Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"So yes, my prog history is very, very patchy at best, and in that regard, I'm thoroughly enjoying listening to the Amazing Wilf's European Perspective podcasts, as he has a vastly broader view of things to educate me, even if he has more of folky bent sometimes relative to my symphonic one.

(Wilf: I'm up to the 1974 Part 2 podcast, so falling further behind by the week: stop making such long shows, dammit  ;) )

Hey don't complain, Wilf gave us time off for good behaviour last weekend.  That's about 5 hours less to catch up on...
Or another chance to listen to episode #66 again (move directly to episode #66, do not pass episode #66; collect TDL).
When the future\'s looking dark, we\'re the ones who have to shine...

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "Tricky"
Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"So yes, my prog history is very, very patchy at best, and in that regard, I'm thoroughly enjoying listening to the Amazing Wilf's European Perspective podcasts, as he has a vastly broader view of things to educate me, even if he has more of folky bent sometimes relative to my symphonic one.

Hey don't complain, Wilf gave us time off for good behaviour last weekend.  That's about 5 hours less to catch up on...
Or another chance to listen to episode #66 again (move directly to episode #66, do not pass episode #66; collect TDL).

Very sound advice, Tricky, but with two small caveats:

1. I have TDL on rather frequent rotation through my brain in any case (whether via earphones or self-generated from memory), having assiduously ripped it from the TDLBN 10th anniversary broadcast (and with a couple of seconds of anticipatory silence added at the start to tickle the neurons). So, I'll surely enjoy it when it get to #66 of TEP, but ...

2. ... I'm horribly, horribly anal retentive at times and will, nay must, listen to every moment of #60-65 before I dare touch #66. I was at the very end of #59 a few days ago after driving home, knowing that it'd finish within minutes of setting out back to work the next morning and that I didn't have #60 to continue to, due to lack of space on my iPhone. But oh how I struggled overnight to allow myself to delete #59 to make space for #60, thinking I must listen to the end of it first, even if it was a Tangent track that I wasn't really enjoying at all  :shock:

(There are times when I really do scratch my head at Wilf's tastes, but others when I think he's inspired ...  :D )

gav

Good news everyone!

The band I'm in should have a couple of pub gigs coming in June (supporting another band) and in our set list I've strategically placed a drum vs bass jam (i'm playing bass) and I've decided to sneak in the riff from TDL somewhere! :D
The anoying thing is that no-one in the audience is likely to recognise it! :lol:
Broadband! A whole 2.5MB of it!

Pedro

Quote from: "gav"The anoying thing is that no-one in the audience is likely to recognise it! :lol:
That's a problem, when they like it and ask you what it was, you'll know what to do! :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Mouse

Ah, but which riff? There are so many, after all. Cool decision, though!  :)

gav

I was thinking of the big glam riff at the start- I'll have to transpose it down to E because we'll probably end the jam with Black Night by Deep Purple.

RAWK! :twisted:

drblowthingsup

I quite like sneaking the riffs from Dear Dead Days into one of hQ's live songs called Rock Like This. Although I fear it probably goes over the head of most of the audience  :(

Mouse

Maybe a full blown cover version is in order?  ;)

gav

Hmmm... how to emulate walls of keyboards with two guitars, bass and drums... :?

Mouse

I have a tactic for such problems - rearrange the track. I know some people might cry "Sacriledge!" and "Burn him!", but if you treat the music with respect, you could shuffle the arrangement around in order to make it work for you, AKA playable live without walls of keyboards and without Mitchell. You never know, you might end up creating something unique.

gav

Hmmm... I supose there could be a chance of doing something similar to Gonzo's edit of TDL...

L33VEY

Just to say that TDL live was a great way to start last night.

The recording sounds too complicated for it to work at all, and while there's a few corners cut - work it does...

Quote from: "Julie"We'd better all start learning the backwards lyrics now...

Probably lucky that we didn't have to..
Currently playing in The Frost*mobile:  Frost* Day and Age

gr8gonzo

Did they do that new middle section they did at DotR?
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around