Started by grif, January 10, 2010, 12:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grif

Just read this on the Marillion forum

"New album in June and a summer tour!!! http://www.facebook.com/rushtheband

Bert

Quote from: "grif"Just read this on the Marillion forum

"New album in June and a summer tour!!! http://www.facebook.com/rushtheband

Have to say, with regret, that I think this is bogus. Not you or the fact you read it, or that it was posted in good faith here and on marillion.com, but the source is bogus.

Whilst there has been some talk of a new album and tour (see below) I've seen the same Facebook updates, and they are not written well, ie a bit like those spoof emails you get about banks, and one of them referred to that Fbook page being hacked. The Fbook page referred to is not an official Rush one, as they do not have one.

Also, the Rush website has no info and neither does Power Windows (prime Rush unofficial fan site). and the guys at TNMS are very doubtful.

In any case, given the scale of Rush on the raod, if there were a spring album/tour, it would be well known in the schedules by now.

Sorry to throw cold water; Rush are my favorite band in the whole wide world ever, but things don't ever happen this way in Rush land.

Sorry. I'd love it to be true :-(

The last quote PW have re anything happening in 2010 is

"RUSH MIGHT RETURN IN 2010"
While it is still too early to start making vacation plans, in an interview this fall Alex Lifeson alluded to the fact that Rush might be touring in support of a new album next year:
"'Neil and his wife had a baby just a couple of weeks ago, so he's asked if we can just wait a little bit until he gets settled and see how he feels about getting back to work or when to get back to work. So we're sort of playing it open right now.' Lifeson says he's been doing a little writing at home in Toronto, 'just getting myself back into the groove again with recording and stuff like that. I would guess that sometime in the early fall we would get back together and start writing again, and then hopefully by next summer, we'd be ready to tour.'" - Noisecreep.com, Sep. 3, 2009

I think it's probably more likely that where Alex talks about Fall, that'll be Fall 2010 and Summer 2011 before they're out on the raod.
I am a Norfolk Man and glory in being so!
http://www.deadnobodies.net
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now
Your world is now officially a better place!

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

DannySoisSage

Think Bert's on the money there. Very difficult to see how anything would be happening before next summer/autumn.

Pedro

....and in the meantime, a 'best of live tracks' album in case anyone *really* needs to buy something!  ;)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

EVP

They are probably writing at least. I agree though on the above said. I usually go to the Power Windows
page to get info as they seem to be on top of things and have more info than the bands official site.
I know after reading Neil's update on his website, he really seemed eager to explore some new
drumming territories, and that the 3 of them were getting together to chat about things.  I think I'll
wait until either the PW page or Neil's site is updated. Either way I'm hopeful and look forward to
hearing a new album in the next year.  If they tour, then I'll certainly be there is they make the usual
upstate NY rounds.

EVP

DOH!!!   Looks like I spoke too soon!!!!

anyway FWIW,

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/news/News.htm

"New LP due out in 2010 supported by a tour
As was previously reported (see below for details), Rush reconvened in November of last year to discuss future plans, and Alex Lifeson had already been writing some material at home. Although I would prefer an announcement from the band themselves, we do have our first "official" announcement of a new album to be released this year. NMR Distribution's official announcement for the official 2011 Rush calendar includes the statement "New LP due out in 2010 supported by a tour." - Thanks to Marshall Blakley and Sean for the headsup!"

Mouse

Yay! Maybe I'll actually get to see them on this tour whenever it is. Every day I kick myself for not going to see them on the Snakes And Arrows Tour. I read in Classic Rock's overpriced Prog mag that a new album was pencilled in for a late Spring release and a tour in the Autumn, but whenever it happens should be fine for me. It's brilliant news that they are doing something.

Can't believe I didn't go see them last time...  :(

Trapezium Artist

Unfortunately a band I have never understood, at least in part because of Geddy Lee's high-pitched squeak of a voice. Then again, I love Yes. Go figure ...  ;)

Each to their own, I suppose. Personally, I'd like to see No Doubt and Catatonia (again) live :D

(Good grief; I just did a google and saw that No Doubt did tour live again in the US and Canada last summer; excellent news. As crap as Gwen Stefani is on her solo albums, No Doubt the band with her in it are an altogether different prospect.)

Bert

Quote from: "Mouse"Yay! Maybe I'll actually get to see them on this tour whenever it is. Every day I kick myself for not going to see them on the Snakes And Arrows Tour. I read in Classic Rock's overpriced Prog mag that a new album was pencilled in for a late Spring release and a tour in the Autumn, but whenever it happens should be fine for me. It's brilliant news that they are doing something.

Can't believe I didn't go see them last time...  :(

Niether can I  :shock:  Best band in the world ( ;) ) and an eye popping live sensation (so long as they don't do too many close ups of Geddy on the video screens, as he looks like Steptoe these days)

Trivia - I went to see them at Madison Sqaure Gardens on the Vapor Trails comeback tour - I'll tell you about it one day lol  :)
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

Bert

Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"Unfortunately a band I have never understood, at least in part because of Geddy Lee's high-pitched squeak of a voice. Then again, I love Yes. Go figure ...  ;)

Each to their own, I suppose. Personally, I'd like to see No Doubt and Catatonia (again) live :D

(Good grief; I just did a google and saw that No Doubt did tour live again in the US and Canada last summer; excellent news. As crap as Gwen Stefani is on her solo albums, No Doubt the band with her in it are an altogether different prospect.)

Rush --> No Doubt. I love this board  :)
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

Bert

Quote from: "EVP"DOH!!!   Looks like I spoke too soon!!!!

anyway FWIW,

As was previously reported (see below for details), Rush reconvened in November of last year to discuss future plans, and Alex Lifeson had already been writing some material at home. Although I would prefer an announcement from the band themselves, we do have our first "official" announcement of a new album to be released this year. NMR Distribution's official announcement for the official 2011 Rush calendar includes the statement "New LP due out in 2010 supported by a tour." - Thanks to Marshall Blakley and Sean for the headsup!"

In that case, I owe grif an apology. If it's on PW, it's usually bang on.
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

Mossive Attack

Exciting news! Rush are (probably) also my all time favourite band of all time...ever.

Saw them on the last two tours and they were awesome (and I use that word sparingly), both musically and stage show wise. I'm going to every gig I can as I'm not sure how much longer they will be touring, especially given Neil's dislike of touring!
The artist formerly known as Rob-M....

grif

Quote from: "Bert"
Quote from: "EVP"DOH!!!   Looks like I spoke too soon!!!!

anyway FWIW,

In that case, I owe grif an apology. If it's on PW, it's usually bang on.
No apology needed, I had my own doubts if I'm honest.  I enjoyed Snakes and Arrows and hopefully the new album will be of similar quality.

EVP

Well the cat is out of the bag now, kind of.  It's not going to be an album in the truest sense.

""Rush drummer says next project might not be album"

"Rush drummer Neil Peart says the legendary Toronto band is in the early stages of planning a new project but the new music may not be released in traditional album format. 'We feel very much liberated from the album format in a way right now, because in the three years since our last album (2007's 'Snakes & Arrows'), suddenly albums don't mean anything,' Peart told The Canadian Press in a telephone interview from his home in California. 'We're thinking of writing and recording a few songs and maybe releasing them, and playing them live, and then going back and doing some more later. We just feel really free (in terms) of what we might do right now. 'Anything is possible in the nicest way and we like the fact of shaking it all up.' Peart says he's started writing new lyrics while bandmates Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson are preparing at their Toronto studio ('every time we start a new record, the technology is all different, and we've gotta learn it . . . again,' he explains). Asked if he would be willing to reveal details of any of the new songs, the personable Peart replied: 'No, sir. (But) I like them.' But the 57-year-old says the band is aware that the record industry is in flux, and would rather adapt with the times than worry about the past. 'We're kind of taking this as a challenge to do something with, rather than to moan about,' he explained. '(It's) a healthier reaction than getting mad: 'Aww, things aren't how they used to be -- we wanted to make a 12-inch album with two sides!' Those things ARE hard to give up, and every time now we make a side one and side two mentally and build the dynamics . . . so there is something lost. 'But, on the other hand, it's pointless to lament about it, and now we have the opportunity to take advantage of this amorphous situation going on in the music business right now.'... - The Canadian Press, Janurary 13, 2010 - Thanks to Ed at RushIsABand for the headsup!"

So once again Jem was spot on about the music biz. When a band like Rush is going this rout you know things are changing.

Ash

Right cos they are sooooo broke.  Does anyone remember the vid on the 30th anniversary tour?  the merchandise bit?  very amusing

Rush fans are very obsessive, we have to buy the merchandise, see the shows (all nights) and I can't comprehend that they can't release an album for financial reasons.  I think they just want to do a few tracks cos they are getting on a bit and can't be ar***.  In a nice way.

I am very excited btw.
Ash
xxx