Main Menu

ELP Cover?

Started by geront, July 01, 2010, 04:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phrog

Just to clarify, are the legal issues completely unresolvable, or just enough to put the cd back another month? What I mean is - is it the track itself that can't ever be released, or just the Frost* Reports?

Mouse

Oh cock. This mirrors exactly what ELP went through with the Copland Estate to originally do Fanfare. They seem to be a right load of tossers, that Estate.

Funny how a piece of music called Fanfare For The Common Man, which was originally composed as an uplifting piece of propaganda for the American people during the hard times of the Second World War, should now be so closely guarded by lawyers and people who think they know what's best for a wonderful piece of music.

To quote Bert again, "Bollocks".  :(

Mooncat

QuoteJust to clarify, are the legal issues completely unresolvable, or just enough to put the cd back another month? What I mean is - is it the track itself that can't ever be released, or just the Frost* Reports?

All of it (from what Jem said). :x
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

catherine

If the Copland estate lawyers can let youth orchestras and percussion ensembles and the like mangle Mr C's work freely and without let and hindrance (and believe me, I have participated in many such manglings in my time), then I can't see how they could possibly object to Jem sprinkling a bit of the old Godfrey unhinged fairy dust over it.

Is there any use in starting a petition? I'd gladly sign it!

tomskerous

From the tweets around the time, one can only imagine the meeting where they listened to it to make the decision...
I was a victim of goose-flirting the other day.
This bleeding great goose came up to me and wanted a light.
I said no.
Goose, there\'ll be no flirting today.

THUNDERFROG!!!!!!!!

Phrog

Quote from: "Mooncat"
QuoteJust to clarify, are the legal issues completely unresolvable, or just enough to put the cd back another month? What I mean is - is it the track itself that can't ever be released, or just the Frost* Reports?

All of it (from what Jem said). :x

I interpreted that to mean that if Jem wanted to release the track outside of the magazine CD it wouldn't be allowed, but would that scenario allow for the track to still be included on the CD if/when it is released?

gav

Wait, doesn't this mean that it's only Frost*'s version of Fanfare that can't be released?
I'm just saying that because that would mean there's nothing to stop the Classic Rock Presents... people from releasing the rest of the cover CD ;)
Or am I just very confused? :?
Broadband! A whole 2.5MB of it!

Pedro

I read somewhere that there were problems with multiple tracks (as in publishers plural), not just the Copland Estate, but I don't really know.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Tricky

I'd suspect that there's nothing to stop it being played live...
hmmm?
 ;)
When the future\'s looking dark, we\'re the ones who have to shine...

Pedro

I guess that would have to depend on just how unhinged it is! ;)

Jem

It's not designed to be played live. It's that mad.

I'm sure somebody will get hold of it and share it. Sometime.  ;) I'm more pissed off about the Frost reports. I put a lot of time into them. Mitchell, Nath and Rob Reed are on sparkling form.  :evil:

I even got footage (the first ever!) of Magenta HQ which is Rob's fabulous studio and of Rob demonstrating the power of surround mixing as it happened.

ELP have a lot to answer for on so many levels.

Pedro

Was *all* of it FFTCM or can you salvage bits?  :? (I know it's extra work, etc.)

Jem

I can harvest some of it, but I need a new topic for a Frost report within which to include it all. Any suggestions anybody?

Phrog

Aaron Copland?  ;)

Actually, on a serious note, maybe the preparation for the Dividing Line radio show?

Pedro

Fun fair for the Cumin Naan? Not even the scringeiest lawyer could see a connection there, surely.