Mark Kelly semi-lost hearing

Started by EVP, February 06, 2012, 03:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EVP

Just read this unfortunate news on the DPRP news page.

Apparently something happened while he was scuba diving on a recent vacation.
he's having tests done but nothing definitive yet as to the cause. His left ear is
really messed up apparently.

He has started a blog to record and update everyone on his current state.

http://markke11y.blogspot.com/

I sure hope he gets better. It's the worst thing that can happen to any musician and as one myself
I have to only think about how I take things for granted and wonder if I should be doing more
to protect myself.

Thoughts and well wishes and vibes going out to him :(

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "EVP"Just read this unfortunate news on the DPRP news page.

he's having tests done but nothing definitive yet as to the cause. His left ear is

I sure hope he gets better. It's the worst thing that can happen to any musician and as one myself
I have to only think about how I take things for granted and wonder if I should be doing more
to protect myself.

Thoughts and well wishes and vibes going out to him :(

Hmmm, sounds like a nasty situation. I buggered up one of my ears for a while while snorkelling down to about 10-15m off Hawaii, so I know where's he's coming from. I didn't go completely deaf though; not nice. I hope he makes a full recovery.

Browsing his blog though, I also noticed him giving Ultimate Ears' in-ear monitors a substantially less than glowing review. Interesting: for quite some time now, I've been harbouring ideas of buying some of those. I have a set of Etymotic ER-4P's with custom ear moulds made by Elacin: they sound fabulous and provide superb sound isolation, but because of the form of the ER-4P's, they stick out quite some way and look a bit goofy. In addition, you can't lie down on your side wearing them, something I'd like to do on the frequent long-haul flights I have to take.  

Not that that's any real justification for splashing out several hundred quid on a pair of UE's, but nevertheless, Mark has saved me from myself there ...  ;)

fitzy

• Quote from: "EVP"Just read this unfortunate news on the DPRP news page.

to protect myself.

Thoughts and well wishes and vibes going out to him :([/quote]
2nd.ed...awful for anyone,especially a musician :(
M,lady....please come down off that roof!!

E.S.

That's why I'm hysterically obsessed with earplugs, also when going to concerts. Anything to protect my hearing.
Of course, you don't expect it to happen like that. :(

Brom

I had a bunged up ear before Christmas, all due to a plug of ear wax, pretty common, but being partly to fully deaf in one ear plus constant tinnitus practically drove me bonkers! The relief from a quick syringing (by a nice nurse) was priceless. Hope he's better soon.
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

Gman

I had a nasty ear incident when learning to scuba...descending was difficult but I did it, but coming back up was horrendous. I had all sorts of screeching, squelching and pain and had significantly reduced hearing in one ear. Various check ups at the hospital confirmed everything was technically ok - it just took time to resolve itself. Not fun though...and very worrying for a musician.