A New Yamaha Motif!!!

Started by Jim Takacs, July 28, 2010, 05:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Takacs

::I Like Cheese::

EvilDragon

Nothing new, I guess. Probably just the flash memory for samples only, like what's PC3K gonna have. It's Yamaha, they are kings of re-hashing. Meh.

RWA

Quote from: "Jim Takacs"OK Now Whats it do??
Well.... it sets trees on fire for starters!  :shock:

Very handly for keyboard players who like to set stuff on fire occasionally.

MarkOneMusic

Motifs are also ENORMOUS.  I believe you could house a family of 4 happily in an 88 note motif with room for a pool table. They also require an on-site crane to get them to the van

EvilDragon

Yeah, they're too big. Same goes for Fantoms G8. Too freaking big.

Jem

721mb wave ROM or summat. Plus 2gb of flash RAM, only trouble is, the initial reports are that it takes 20 mins to load 512Mb. So you're looking at something like just under an hour and a half to load the full 2GB. By which time "the moment" would be somewhat lost I'd imagine.  :lol:

Still, I like the new color scheme.  8-)  :lol:

Pedro

Jem, talk of boot times reminds me....

At High Voltage, when Pendragon came on, Clive Nolan supervised the arrival of his keyboard rig on its wheeled riser and was seen making "come-on-hurry-up" gestures at the displays of the twin M3s as they were loading. :)

Also, when they wheeled-out Geoff Downes' keyboard riser, and plugged it all in....everything worked except one thing....the laptop.  :)
Tech guy was seen to remove it from the rig and take it off to the side, turn it upside-down, take-out the battery, put it back in and then switch back on. Geoff appeared to enter his passowrd and then tech guy put it back on the rig!  :roll:
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

EvilDragon

Quote from: "Jem"So you're looking at something like just under an hour and a half to load the full 2GB. By which time "the moment" would be somewhat lost I'd imagine.

On the plus side, you load your samples ONCE, and they are in there. No need to reload them after powering off. I presume it is great to have this in live situations. Remember in the old days of SCSI hard drives and volatile memory, if there's a sudden power outage on a gig, you have to reload them all over again. That's a 15 minute drum or guitar solo for the crowd, and it could have been a keyboard solo!  :lol:

Jem

I also like how they've jumped into bed with a good few softsynth sample library manufacturers to port over their stuff to XF format. 2GB means you can start to get near to some of the mint softsynth style sample library quality, but in a hardware synth. For live use, this could be significant.

Clearly, I'm going to have to get one and report back.  :lol: