Steve Lukather

Started by Cptncanary, December 09, 2008, 10:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keithd

I've just got into his music, got a couple of albums on the iPod. Really enjoying them  :)
My Hovercraft is full of eels

rogerg

Quote from: "keithd"I've just got into his music, got a couple of albums on the iPod. Really enjoying them  :)

you've heard of Toto, of course?    8-)

E.S.

To.... huh? They who wrote Roxanne?

:mrgreen:

rogerg

keithd

Quote from: "rogerg"
Quote from: "keithd"I've just got into his music, got a couple of albums on the iPod. Really enjoying them  :)

you've heard of Toto, of course?    8-)

Yep, heard of them, but hadn't heard Lukather's solo stuff. Must admit, in parts his voice reminds me of Paul Carrack.
My Hovercraft is full of eels

Mikey

Quote from: "Steve Lukather""A year end summary! I've been really very fortunate to have all this stuff going on. Toto had a big summer, my solo stuff, so many other very interesting projects, Toxic Monkey. Right now I'm five songs into a new solo record. I'm working with CJ Vanston, Randy Goodrum and Trevor (Lukather) who wrote something with us. It's really good stuff on the new record. I'm really digging it. Starting this year with 'Rock Meets Classic'. That's a month out. I come back here and work on the album until I work with G3. Then I have a week in Japan with my band. I come back and finish the record. Then Toto rehearsals the first two weeks in May. Then I fix and mix my record. Then I get all the art work for the album sorted out. Toto is going out in August to Europe. September and October will be a few other territories with Toto. We will do a few things in the U.S. The 35th Anniversary in 2013 is going to be the big deal starting in May. We're going to do everywhere. And getting out on those big Tours we kind of have to prove our worth again in the U.S. Re-brand ourselves."

Full Interview

And another one on the new album Here
I used to have a signature

Mikey

Eric Valentine - drums
Steve Weingart - keyboards, vocals
Steve Lukather - guitars, vocals
Renee Jones - bass, vocals

Ticket info

13 March 2013 Venue tba , Haugasund (Norway)

14 March 2013 Venue tba , Stavanger (Norway)

16 March 2013 Rockerfellers , Oslo (Norway)

17 March 2013 Pustervik , Gothenburg (Sweden)

18 March 2013 UKK , Uppsala (Sweden)

19 March 2013 Nalen , Stockholm (Sweden)

20 March 2013 Kulurbogalet , Malmö (Sweden)

22 March 2013 Gjethuset , Frederiksvaerk (Denmark)

23 March 2013 Fermaten , Herning (Denmark)

24 March 2013 Markthalle , Hamburg (Germany)

26 March 2013 Paradiso , Amsterdam (Holland)

27 March 2013 Mezz Theatre , Breda (Holland)

28 March 2013 Bataclan , Paris (France)

29 March 2013 Academy Islington , London (UK)

30 March 2013 The Robin , Wolverhampton (UK)

01 April 2013 Z7 , Pratteln (Switserland)

03 April 2013 Blue Note , Milan (Italy)

04 April 2013 Blue Note , Milan (Italy)

05 April 2013 Walterhaus , Bozen (Austria/Italy)

06 April 2013 Orpheum , Graz (Austria)

07 April 2013 Venue tba , Budapest (Hungary)

09 April 2013 Stodola , Warsaw (Poland)

10 April 2013 Lido , Berlin (Germany)

12 April 2013 Intrnational Perform , Moscow (Russia)

13 April 2013 ING Arts Center , Moscow (Russia)

15 April 2013 Colossaal , Aschaffenburg (Germany)

16 April 2013 Musikcantrum , Hannover (Germany)

17 April 2013 Zeche , Bochum (Germany)

19 April 2013 KA Longhorn , Stuttgart (Germany)

20 April 2013 Backstage Werk , München (Germany)

Bit thin on UK dates

Mikey

Ringo Starr announced that he his All Starr Band will tour the Pacific Rim in February 2013 with select dates in New Zealand, Australia and Japan. The band is the same line up which just completed a North American tour this past summer and features Steve Lukather (Toto), Richard Page (Mr.Mister), Todd Rundgren, Mark Rivera, Gregg Rolie (Santana & Journey)and Gregg Bissonette.

"The tour this summer was just GREAT - I love playing with this band and I can't wait to get back out and play with them again," Ringo said. "I am looking forward to revisiting Japan with the All Starrs and of course New Zealand and Australia. Peace & Love!"  

The tour is being produced by Dave Hart and as always fans can expect to hear a jukebox worth of hits. Ringo classic's such as "It Don't Come Easy", "Photograph", "Little Help From My Friends", "Yellow Submarine" and "Wings", from Starr's recently released 17th solo record, Ringo 2012 (Hip-O/Ume).  All Starr's hits include "Rosanna," "Broken Wings,"  "Hello It's Me," "Black Magic Woman."

Mikey

Quote from: "Classic Rock"TOTO's premiere guitarist Steve Lukather will release his seventh solo album "Transition" on Monday 21st January. The new single "Right The Wrong" is released on the same day. Critically acclaimed as one of rock's most sought after guitarists, Lukather will embark on a European tour in March, which includes UK concerts at the

London Islington o2 Academy (March 29th)
Bilston Robin 2 (March 30th).

"Transition" will be released in three formats including limited deluxe edition CD, jewel case CD, and vinyl. Pre-order the album and merchandise.

"Transition" Track Listing ...
1. Judgement Day
2. Creep Motel
3. Once Again
4. Right The Wrong
5. Transition
6. Last Man Standing
7. Do I Stand Alone
8. Rest of the World
9. Smile

One of the original founding members of the multi-million selling rock band TOTO, Lukather's new album showcases extraordinary guitar playing performed across some of the most heartfelt songs of Steve's career. "Transition is a turning point for the album and a turning point for me," Lukather explains. "As we were writing the songs, I was thinking about everything I've seen — all the people I've lost in my life, the great and the difficult experiences I've had, and how ultimately it was time to get it together and embrace things for what they are."

In addition to his work with TOTO, Lukather is a 5-time Grammy winner who has played on 2000+ albums with some of the biggest stars and legends in music including Elton John, Paul McCartney, Roger Waters, Miles Davis, Alice Cooper, George Benson and Rod Stewart. He also played guitar on Michael Jackson's multi-million selling milestone album 'Thriller', is a member of Ringo Starr's All-Starr Band (2012-2013), and has toured with Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and John Petrucci in G3 2012.

"Transition" is Steve's eighth solo album and a very good one it is too. My only slight criticism is that it does sound a bit Toto-ish compared to his previous album. However, to me this is not a problem.
The, almost eight minutes long, opener "Judgement Day" is an excellent pop-rock song with it's great chorus and guitar solos. Steve's voice is also in fine form and this is possibly my favourite track on the album. The blues-rock "Creep Motel" has hints of Steely Dan and ballad "Once Again" slows the proceedings down showing off some of Steve's vocals. "Right The Wrong" is an out and out catchy pop song with big chorus and vocal harmonies. I really love this one, great choice for the single. The title track is mostly instrumental and covers several musical styles. Excellent bass and keyboard arrangements on this one. The very commercial "Last Man Standing" could be the next single, great chorus. "Rest Of The World" is another good blues-rock track with a very different type of guitar sound. The album closes with an instrumental cover version of Charlie Chaplin's, "Smile", which is in memory of Steve's mother who really loved this song.  

"Transition" is a well produced album with great guitar solos, musicianship and a very good collection of songs.  This album proves that Steve musically is still heading very much in the right direction.