Rage Against the X Factor

Started by Cptncanary, December 11, 2009, 04:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geetar

Quote from: "LivingForever"And then - I hear the version of his single that's been released and Joe's voice has been auto-tuned to within an inch of its life, removing some of the character and making it sound bland and generic.

If there was anyone that didn't need auto-tune, it was him... I wonder if it's the case now that the studios just assume people can't sing that well and automatically apply lashings of effects?

I haven't heard the single, so I can't comment in this specific case; however, I've heard of numerous instances where it's been explicitly stated by the executive wing of music destruction that the voice requires a run through the mangler to produce the specific artefacts that "Otto" brings to the party.  

It has become the de-facto "sound" of pop to many, seemingly.
This space for sale.

LivingForever

Quote from: "Geetar"I haven't heard the single, so I can't comment in this specific case; however, I've heard of numerous instances where it's been explicitly stated by the executive wing of music destruction that the voice requires a run through the mangler to produce the specific artefacts that "Otto" brings to the party.  

It has become the de-facto "sound" of pop to many, seemingly.

Sadly, you seem to be right. I can see why it's done to:

a) fix tiny mistakes when there's not enough time to redo it (or for a live recording)
b) Make people who REALLY can't sing sound less awful (comedy records, etc?)
c) make a cool effect a-la T-Pain (although this has been overused to the point of tedium)

What I can't understand is using it to smooth out and genericise people's voices. I think Michael Buble must be the worst example of this - I can't understand why anyone would buy one of his records when you can listen to Sinatra or someone who doesn't sound like a robot.

As an aside, Jem once pointed out to me that John Mitchell used absolutely tons of Autotune on 'The Tall Ships' - which is quite noticeable really - I can only assume it was done for reason 'c' above, since the guy can most definitely sing in tune.
be rich big cat small talk get fat sign this see through choose me fkkk you

//http://giggingforever.blogspot.com/