Ye Olde Sweet Shoppe....

Started by Pedro, April 26, 2009, 04:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedro

Jem's tweet about an old-fashioned sweet shoppe made me remember Cadbury's Toffee Buttons from when I was small (I *was* once....).

These were advertised by none other than Rolf Harris (back when he was black & white, I think) and he did this "cool" move (I thought it was cool back then anyway) of holding one hand out flat, palm up and putting one of these "buttons" on the tip of the middle finger, clapping his other hand down onto the open palm, propelling said confection up into the air and catching in his mouth on the way down....(ok so I was easily impressed back then!).....these days we advertise chocolate using a gorilla playing the drums....how times have changed.... :roll:

This site contains some other ancient memories.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Jem

Bloody hell! "Fry's 5 centres" I'd forgotten all about them, they were the staple lunch of many a Godfrey Saturday once the pocket money had been distributed. That and TV Comic.

Happy days...

rogerg

Pedro

Hmm....this is not a good site to find when sweetie-nostalgic and  :? on a diet either....
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Brom

Very Topic-al thread seeing that it was the London Snickers this morning.

I won't admit to remembering "Luck Numbers"
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

Beano

I could go for a Texan bar right about now :)

catherine

Oh dear! Amazin Raisin bars! I remember them - and the song!

But my favourite childhood sweet was the Pink Panther bar - strawberry flavoured pink "chocolate". I'd love to see those again.

Brom

Quote from: "catherine"But my favourite childhood sweet was the Pink Panther bar - strawberry flavoured pink "chocolate". I'd love to see those again.

Dear God(frey) NO!!

I only ever had one of those, The sick feeling I got afterwards still haunts me so much that I today I still can't bear the thought of eating any strawberry flavoured chocolate.

catherine

So, Brom, if I remember rightly, you can handle a large greasy Spam fry-up OK, but the mere thought of a modest Pink Panther bar makes you come over all queasy??   :lol:  :lol:

Geetar

You could always wash it down with a Cresta....

"It's frothy, man!"
This space for sale.

Brom

Quote from: "catherine"So, Brom, if I remember rightly, you can handle a large greasy Spam fry-up OK, but the mere thought of a modest Pink Panther bar makes you come over all queasy??   :lol:  :lol:

Absolutely  :D I could fire up the frying pan right now, no problem  :D . The thought of that pink abomination though.... urgghhhh.

At least we both have a very similar taste for music!  :D  :D

Dave M

Quote from: "Geetar"You could always wash it down with a Cresta....

"It's frothy, man!"

Now that stuff was really disgusting !  :D
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

RWA

Quote from: "Pedro"Hmm....this is not a good site to find when sweetie-nostalgic and  :? on a diet either....
Looking at his facial expression..... I wonder where Mrs store manager is hiding....  :shock:

wickedwitch

not quite on topic (boom boom) but i had a deep fried mars bar in scotland  on saturday. it was surprisingly good!

D S

I'd always thought that was an urban myth as I've never seen shops that sell them up here!  Where was that?  

Still, they do deep fry pizzas in our local chippy- ugh!!!  :roll:
Come on, you\'re a lion!