Introductions, Icebreakers and some Keyboard questions

Started by boswell, April 01, 2010, 10:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boswell

Gurd evening ladies and gents. :D

My name is Steve, and that's why I drink heavily.

I've lurked these halls off and on for a few years now, so I have a rough idea of the hierarchy round here. I think I've worked out who the big shots and the high flyers are, and I understand there's a rather persistent ruffian troll who goes by the name of Jem.

I feel now is the time to break my silence and "join in" as my social therapist would say.

So I thought what better way to break the ice than to be rather rude and selfish and ask a question....

What's the  "bog standard widdly widdly Tony Banks" mono lead that Jem refers to in one of the old Keyboard Talk vids?

I'm attempting to learn the BLM solo (after having a bash at hyperventilate - so close!) and try as I might I can't seem to get the right settings in korg WAVESTATION (!!!). The first two WAVESTATION (!!!!!!!!!!!) presets are easy to find, but the last I'm assuming is a custom patch. And squint as I might, I can't make out the knobs and wire connections needed to make a Banksy's ol' Standard.

Unfortunately sound design isn't my area of expertise (I make dentures for a living :) )so unfortunately my ears aren't so good at copying leads and patches.

I realise this is a shot in the dark but... any tips? Tricks? Insults? I don't mind.

Anyhoo, I'll leave that with you, fellow frosties.

Tara!

Pedro

Sorry, I can't help with the Korg Patch thing but I can say welcome out into the open!
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

boswell

Thank you pedro!

It's good to be out in the open, though perhaps a little chilly.

gr8gonzo

Welcome, Steve! Uh... I can't answer your question. Did I say Welcome, Steve?
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

boswell

Nice to meet you Gonzo! I'm slowly coming to realise the Korg question might better have been saved for a different topic...we live and learn. Did I say nice to meet you Gonzo?

ich_bin_besser

Herzlich Willkommen, Steve! Very nice introduction!  8-)
Have fun!!

Jürgen
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

rogerg

turbo

?"By the beard of Zeus"

Nellie

Oo a Newbie! Welcome, welcome Bos.
Have a biccie and a glass of something or tea if you must.

There are some folk who only lurk in the Gear threads, they might be able to answer your question properly. Out in the open, you're asking for trouble I'm afraid  :?
It's in the post!

Mouse

Welcome, Bos! What's your favourite biscuit?  8-)

On the Wavestation front, I've got a Korg Wavestation plug-in on my computer, but I don't know which one. I will have a proper look at some point to try and find these Tony Banks leads you speak of...  :)

Gandalf1986

Hello Bos! :) Welcome aboard!

The third sound doesn't come from the Wavestation, but from the Korg MS-20 plug-in and it's a sine wave full sustain type of lead ;)
You talk
You think you own me
You miss the point completely
These things I do they\'re not for you
I\'m sick and I\'m tired
Leave me alone...
[/b]

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - Pedro

boswell

Wow, Hello every body! :mrgreen:
Vielen Dank, Jürgen!

Quote from: "Nellie"Have a biccie and a glass of something or tea if you must.

Quote from: "Mouse"Welcome, Bos! What's your favourite biscuit?  8-)

Why thank you, I think I'll help myself to a Jaffa cake (don't look at me like that!) and a cool glass of jagermeister and rootbeer.

Thank you for the responses to my query. I'll try not to stray to much from the main topic of "introduction" into the co-topic of "geekery", but my WAVESTATION (sorry it's just everytime I read that it's like it has to be exclaimed!) came with the MS-20 plugin as well, which is what confused me.

So for the record it's the MS-20 patch I'm stuck on. Thanks Gandalf, I shall try and apply my pathetic knowledge of subtractive synthesis to the MS-20. It's about time I learned.

Cheers folks!

Gandalf1986

Bos, you can also use an Arturia MInimoog V to do that kind of sound if you're not that familiar with the MS-20! ;)

I can send you an mp3 of my attempt to the solo so you can hear what sounds I used
You talk
You think you own me
I\'m sick and I\'m tired
Leave me alone...
[/b]

boswell

That'd be spiffing Gandalf.

I haven't got Arturia's minimoog unfortunately but I've had a play about with some other synths I've got and found something acceptable (barely)

At some point I'm going to try and either replicate the sounds on a Fantom X or at least try and sample them. "ZZ Lead" is going to be tricky though.

Have you got a link to your performance or would you like my email?

Gandalf1986

You talk
You think you own me
I\'m sick and I\'m tired
Leave me alone...
[/b]