Mitchell's guitar

Started by tranztek, December 29, 2011, 07:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tranztek

That there Cort guitar seeems to need an awful lot of tuning, judging by the AGM vids. Are they any good? They seem awfully cheap though.

JakeWorrell

I believe it is a Cort Carbuncle model (this is a joke).

I haven't played Corts though I'm afraid. I wouldn't have thought JM would use one if it was rubbish though, even with an endorsement.

EDIT: Oh and welcome aboard by the way :)
"The longer the note, the more dread."

rogerg

welcome, trans!

my guess is that he is retuning the entire guitar, to make it easier to play a song a half-step low or so.  ES mentioned on another thread that several songs were played in a different key than recorded and Jem confirmed, saying it was easier to sing them that way.

Pedro

Might we say "reasonably priced" perhaps? :)
As for tuning, I can't speak for the stability of the instrument in question...I know JM doesn't use any add-on tuning stuff (locking nut, etc.) and given the wellie that goes into some solos, I'm not surprised to see tuning being checked quite often. As for the AGM video showing the tuning hold-up, similar theory to Roger, it might be that, given that Hyperventilate has no vocals, it might not have been de-tuned for live, meaning a complete retune.
Anyway, welcome to the board! :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

JakeWorrell

Quote from: "Pedro"locking nut

Hope that clears up Pedro!

Gman

It could also be a bit of a compulsion on John's part...most guitarists check tuning throughout gigs just to make sure nothing hideous occurs during a song.

JakeWorrell

Agreed, JM has enough experience to have had a few tuning mishaps in his time I bet. Its never fun.

gav

I was talking to a chap in a guitar shop about Corts the other day actually, and it turns out they're often contracted to manufacture guitars for companies like Ibanez and the such. They are wonderful guitars for the money, even down to the finish on 'em!
While I was there he even put a Cort next to it's Ibanez counterpart, and bar the logos they both looked and played EXACTLY THE SAME! The only difference was the Cort was £200 and the Ibanez was £600  :lol:
Broadband! A whole 2.5MB of it!

johninblack

I'm sure I read somewhere that the Cort factory is the same factory that produced the early Squires.
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

catherine

Earlier this year I bought a guitar for my younger son. This involved much time spent in guitar shops. He tried a variety of guitars and it came down in the end to a choice between a Cort - I can't remember the model, but it had no scratchplate and a metallic grey finish - I think it was probably this one:

and a Yamaha Pacifica flame maple top. The Yamaha Pacifica won, narrowly, as he preferred the pickups on it, and it was also going for a very good price, but I was very impressed with the Cort.  

This is what the boy has now:

and it's sounding good.

johninblack

Knew I'd read it somewhere.....
Quote from: "Some Website out there on the interconnected webby thing"Anyways -- in the later 1990's Fender decided to have Cort build its now famous Squier Pro Tone series (Made in Korea around 1996-1998 then discontinued. Cort made these Squiers not only on the same level as USA Strats but many people will agree that they are much better. Solid Ash bodies, impeccable necks and fret work, etc.). These Squiers are some of the best Strat type guitars ever made.
Excellent - first class. If you look on your headstock and at the tip it says "Pro Tone" you have a collectible guitar (they are slowly becoming as collectable as the JV MIJ Squiers and are on a par with the E series MIJ Squiers).

The original JV's are excellent instruments, I have the '62 Jazz Bass from 1984. Anyone else got a JV?
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Mooncat

Another thing to consider is in a warm room with lots of sweaty people in it, guitars have a tendancy to go out of tune much readily than in other situations. As the room 'atmospherics' change, so the tendancy for stringed instruments to need a tweak increases.

And Frost* haven't yet reached the heights of JM being able to have a roadie tuning his 'next' guitar ready for him during songs  ;)
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Geetar

Cort is one of the world's largest reliable OEMs in the guitar business. Their quality is pretty good too, considering the volumes they regularly produce in various factories in multiple Far Eastern locations.

I believe that they could convincingly produce more expensive stuff if they saw the demand (whether under their own label, or for others), in much the same manner as ESP/LTD : the worldwide economic picture is, I believe, all that's stopping them from a more serious push upmarket.

In fact, by a small margin, I would rather be them than Gibson right now.
This space for sale.

tranztek

Will have to audition a couple then, it's the only way.

Mikey

John comments about the reasonable price on the DVD that comes with 7th Degree of Separation. (Arena)
He's used them for a few years now so can't imagine he's had many problems with them
I used to have a signature