RWA - Fall (free download): Frosties collab tune

Started by RWA, November 06, 2009, 01:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8gonzo

Perhaps, but could we have an accompanying LBP video?
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

Pedro

"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

rogerg

gr8gonzo

So, what's your preference to work from, Rog?  This is new to me, so I don't know what you'd need to proceed.

:idea: lyric sheet only (for you to interpret)
 :idea: suggested time cues for each line
 :idea: actual notes to be sung (note: writing music on staff paper isn't among my talents)

And do you have any non-operatic vocal samples of yourself I can listen to to help me write with your voice in mind?

rogerg

Quote from: "gr8gonzo"So, what's your preference to work from, Rog?  This is new to me, so I don't know what you'd need to preceed.

:idea: lyric sheet only (for you to interpret)  sounds good
 :idea: suggested time cues for each line   if you have something that you're really, really, feeling
 :idea: actual notes to be sung (note: writing music on staff paper isn't among my talents)  nah

And do you have any non-operatic vocal samples of yourself I can listen to to help me write with your voice in mind?

let me see.  there's a couple of things on virb.  be so blind and time to start, perhaps.

gr8gonzo

cool!  I think I may have been to that site once before, actually.  Nice, smooth vocal.  I enjoyed the music, as well.  I'll get to writing soon-ish.  I still need to absorb the track.

Pedro

I'm liking this track...and I have no idea how it goes yet!  :shock: :D

I do get a very strong impression that there could be sampled speech in the quieter bit in the middle but that could be my over-active cliché gland, obviously.

There is a flavour of GC in there (of course, its Daddy is one of the two Daddies of GC) so I can't help hearing the 'Across The Line' sound being applied to it.

I wish I had time to play with adding melody, words and a keyboard solo (yes, I heard one of those in there too) but I am already over-committed to things as it is.

I look forward to hearing what comes of this and I thank the might Ron for donating his brain-child to the experiment.  :)

catherine

Quote from: "Pedro"There is a flavour of GC in there...

Green Curry? As in Thai?  :shock:

RWA

Quote from: "Pedro"I look forward to hearing what comes of this and I thank the might Ron for donating his brain-child to the experiment.  :)
I do realize that's it's a bit of a weird track. The first half sounds like autistic stair climbing; one step down, two steps up, one step down, 2 steps up. Then it breaks down half way into something completely different.

Experts would say this track is kinda weird and goes all over the place. Fortunately there's a scapegoat term for this: PROG!  :lol:

Pedro

LOL

I've been trying to work out the structure and form of it all.
I count 192 bars in total; the first 119 in something like 7/4 or 7/8 (never sure how to tell the diffeence) and the remainder in 3/4 or 6/8 (or whatever).
So the first two thirds are in prog time, the last third in waltz time.  :D

I have a sort of map drawn up. I think it nearly all falls into chunks that are multiples of 8 bars; there's like a three bar lead-in and an extra four bar bit (at about 02:16).

I'm trying to give names to the chunks at the moment (silly names like "RushLikeWithJoeWalsh'sLife'sBeenGoodChords") but while there are recurring structures it hasn't revealed obvious verse/chorus sections yet - and this is the bit that always impresses and confounds me....
Clever people like Ron comes up with this kind of irregular, asymmetrical but perfect framework that will clearly form the basis of a great prog track. Then, somehow, somebody adds melody and lyrics to it in such a way that it ends up sounding "right". How the hell do they do it?

gr8gonzo

I was counting 7/8 when I suddenly sneezed and began counting 13/16.  I did the dog's head cocked to the side bit, then remembered I'm just writing words.  Roger can figure out where to put 'em!  :D

I actually have come up with a lyrical concept I think is good and unique - something that seems both pop and prog, yet is neither.  Anyone for Thousandshire*?

* no, it's not really that

Pedro

That count works if you say thir-teen over two beats!  ;)
Looking forward to hearing/reading what you come up with.

RWA

Quote from: "Pedro""RushLikeWithJoeWalsh'sLife'sBeenGoodChords"
Me thinks we have a title!  :mrgreen:

And you're correct sir. First half = 7/8 (prog!) Second half = 3/4 (waltz)

rogerg

wow, you guys are good!  I was just going to sing something....
 8-)

rogerg