DREAM THEATER - BLACK CLOUDS & SILVER LININGS - Coming June

Started by NoMeNoYou, March 13, 2009, 03:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drarok

Good thinking, not sure it'll be out by then, though. I read somewhere it was a fair while afterwards.

Either way, I want the epic OMG ALL THE CDS IN THE WORLD edition. :D

Ecosse

Release date for the UK is the 22nd June

ANTR and RoP both are poor quality on the downloads, but the rest are pretty good.

The Count of Tuscany is REALLY growing on me, will be an awesome track live if they ever play it in it's full 20min awesomeness.
| Chris |
Twitter

gr8gonzo

Cover #2 just released - "Tenement Funster/Flick Of The Wrist/Lily Of The Valley" by Queen.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

MikeEvs

MikeEvs

Just listened to this and as I'm not the biggest Queen fan didn't know the originals of these songs so can't compare all though it is a pretty good medley but I preferred Stargazer.

MikeEvs

And the third cover released today is a cover of Dixie Dreggs - Odyssey

gr8gonzo

I'm disappointed no one's mentioned the cover of Zebra's "Take Your Fingers From My Hair."  While DT certainly did their dreamy theaterest in updating the song, it only serves to make me want to listen to the original.  LaBrie does his LaBrie thing, but in doing so, strips the feeling from the Randy Jackson's Plant-style vocal (Randy Jackson of Zebra fame, not "yo, dawg, a'ight, wassup, wassup" fame).  It's still pretty well done musically (as of course it would be), it just fails to really capture what Zebra did.

What it does that I'm most grateful for is introduces a ton of people to Zebra, who, despite having put out the fastest selling album in the history of Atlantic Records back in 1983, really aren't all that well known.  Zebra's eponymous debut has some really good stuff on it, particularly "Who's Behind The Door?," and if you happen to find a copy of their performance on the King Biscuit Flower Hour you'd be wise to pick it up.  Their Zeppelin covers are legendary in some parts of the country (USA).

Props to Portnoy for bringing them some well-deserved attention.

gr8gonzo

Oh, I used to love "Bears."  What an unlikely title for such a cool song.

EVP

I went through my little Zebra listening phase back in the mid 80's and I even got to see
them live at the SUNY Oswego campus. It wasn't until I checked back on this thread
that I found DT were covering them.  

+1 on the second album as well. Loved those tracks as well. Our local classic rock
station here in Syracuse plays "Tell me what you want" once in a while.

http://www.thedoor.com/

MikeEvs

A few videos from Dream Theater's set at download can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 78DE0F7D04

The set list was:

1. Pull Me Under
2. Constant Motion
3. A Rite Of Passage
4. Hollow Years
5. Metropolis pt. 1

gr8gonzo

Quote from: "EVP"I went through my little Zebra listening phase back in the mid 80's and I even got to see
them live at the SUNY Oswego campus. It wasn't until I checked back on this thread
that I found DT were covering them.  

+1 on the second album as well. Loved those tracks as well. Our local classic rock
station here in Syracuse plays "Tell me what you want" once in a while.

http://www.thedoor.com/

I also saw them at SUNY Oswego. 1986, I think.  The Outfield opened for them.  What classic rock station in Syracuse?  I used to work for WKFM back when it was KIX 104.7.

Pedro

I must say that the process of trying to prepare for the Leeds gig, coupled with some YouTube-ing and LastFM-ing, has made me warm to the whole Dream Theater thang.
My lad's mate leant me the back catalog so I made a playlist of the gig setlist which I have been listenng to a fair bit. I'm liking what I'm hearing and venturing into other album tracks too. :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

gr8gonzo

I imagine you're in for a treat, then, because I found the set list lacking and if you liked that, then I think you're really going to like what they didn't play.

Mouse

I recommend a listen to Octavarium, Pedro. At one point in the lyrics, they just start listing references to loads of Prog stuff. That whole song's a bit of a tribute to what they do and what's gone before and it kicks serious bottom.  8-)

Listen out for the bit they unashamedly nicked directly from In The Cage.  ;)

Brom

Quote from: "eponymous"
Quote from: "Mouse"I recommend a listen to Octavarium, Pedro. At one point in the lyrics, they just start listing references to loads of Prog stuff. That whole song's a bit of a tribute to what they do and what's gone before and it kicks serious bottom.  8-)

Listen out for the bit they unashamedly nicked directly from In The Cage.  ;)
Not to mention the unabashedly "Shine On You Crazy Diamond"-esque bits in the intro...

You might also hear musical bits reminding you of Spock's Beard, Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody", Yes' "Heart of the Sunrise", "Jingle Bells", and more.

And the bit at about 18:43 always makes me think of Dave Mustaine from Megadeth singing Marillion's "Forgotten Sons".  But somehow it works.

Octavarium is one of my fave DT tracks of all time, but it doesn't get too much love from all the fans...

And if only you could have heard "A Change of Seasons" as it was played before they re-worked it for the EP...

Having never heard the older version of A Change of Seasons, I really, really like the EP version.

Agreed, Octavarium is a brilliant track even though Petrucci does not get much of a look in. I've always thought there was room for a Gilmouresk solo in the middle bit.
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333