Ooh! Shiny new forum!

Started by RacingHippo, April 10, 2013, 08:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RacingHippo

I have installed BotScout to throw out any spambots that attempt to join.
Hopefully that will reduce the spammage somewhat!
* May contain nuts.

0ldman

Lots of spam on this forum. Thought the preferred snackstuff was supposed to be biccies!??!?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man\'s best friend. Inside of a dog it\'s too dark to read. (Marx. Groucho, not Karl)

owen

looks much better now and I didn't adjust anything. My word that Hippo's clever. I see SMF has been installed. What's that? Should I care? And where are the biccies? Those buttons look fun. Should I press one...?

mr_john

This might be worth stickying somewhere.....

The default setting for the boards is that after you post, it kicks you back out to the main boards and/or sub-boards. Annoying.

To stop this follow these instructions. Once you do this, when you post a reply in a thread (or start a new thread) it will take you back to said post/thread. Sounds confusing. It's not. Honest.

Click 'Profile' at the top of the page (next to the word 'Search')
Then hover over 'Modify Profile' and click 'Look and Layout'
Then make sure there is a tick in the box marked 'Return to topics after posting by default'
Scroll down the page and click the 'Save Profile' button on the bottom right-hand side of the page.

Brom

Well well, that took me by surprise. 1: On my first look see, it seemed to be full of "stuff" I didn't want to know about, and more importantly I could not get in as I'd forgoten my password yonks ago.. anyways, that's history and we're back in business - nice one chaps!
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

Brom

Just noticed this, how come some items have got tons of views even though they logically should not have many. e.g. Happy Birthday posts, the one to Jaws for example, a few happy wishes, 6 or so posts with no reply from Mr Jaws but it's been read 178 times!??  ??? I'm guessing there are bots at work here... including, I've always assumed, the Happy B'day bot who initiates these posts in the first place?
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

Pedro

Erm...can we have a birthday bot please...I've been hand-crafting the things for three years and I could do with a rest!  :P
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

rogerg

Pedro

..and Rog has been a tremendous "wingman" on every occasion. Ta!;)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

rogerg

I'm always right behind you!  ;D

Mikey

Quote from: rogerg on April 11, 2013, 02:20:02 PM
I'm always right behind you!  ;D
Careful with statements like that ;)
I used to have a signature

rogerg

Trapezium Artist

I'm more than a little confused by this new look, to be honest.

For one thing, I'm finding it very hard to parse the posts and all the gubbins wrapped around them. Visually (and thus readability-wise), it's a complete dog's dinner. I'm not just being reactionary; it's just genuinely much harder to "see" the actual posts amongst the endless wrap-around bits-and-bobs.

I'm also a bit perturbed that a lot of images are coming up with question marks: some people's avatars are missing (including mine), while others have appeared. Is that because I have to actively reinstall mine still, and others have already done this?

But I also see in other areas (e.g. the thread about MikeEvs pictures of the Von Hertzen Brothers) that his pictures were not there earlier today (just question marks), but now they're back again.

Is this a caching issue or a profile set-up one or ... ?

I know, the knobs need to be tweaked still  ::)

DueyC

I can't speak for anyone else, but my avatar didn't port over, so I re-uploaded it.
Also to be found running the website and merch sales at www.lifesignsmusic.co.uk

rogerg

I had to re-upload my avatar, though perhaps as things got worked out, it might have re-appeared on its own?  I'm guessing there will be some image path issues as the change gets sorted out.

The easiest way I have found to navigate new posts on an SMF forum is to click the "Show Unread Posts since Last Visit" link near my avatar (or lack there of!) at the top of the page.  From there, one can click the orange "New" button, and you will be taken to the last Unread post in that thread.  makes it pretty easy!

As a caveat, I have used SMF before, so I am more familiar with how they work.  Those at the Fishtank also have had some experience.

I'm glad to see the upgrade, and I thank the Admin/Mods (before my time!) for all the time spent getting it all sorted out.