Please help, i'm trying to trace some bands.

Started by tigermoth, April 23, 2014, 10:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigermoth

Hullo chaps. Just wondered if anybody knew these songs. I've been listening to DLBN over the last few weeks, and a few tracks have played which I like the sound of but Tunein doesn't offer "now playing" info, and since the wollies at shazam stopped the dial up service i've struggled to find out who the bands are. All I can do is try and write snatches of the lyrics and then google them, but with the obscurer bands this doesn't work. If I write down the lyrics here, if any of you recognise them i'd be verry greatful of any info.  There was a track with what sounded like a verry slick singer. Sounded almost too polished for prog. Some lyrics were, "Not carving your name on my cherry tree. Whatever you don't do to me, hold me." sumat like that.
Another track extremely progressive. Constantly changing melody. some lyrics, "Mother can I sleep in today? He hits me the way his father hits him, He calls me a choir boy, catholic twerp?"
Next there was a track with a female singer. Verry melodic. lyrics something like "I know there's something there behind the wall, as the years they reach another high memory of days gone by."
And I can't even remember hearing this one but i've written down "Welcome my son, welcome to the machine. Where have you been. It's alright, we know where you've been."
Not much to go on, but if anyone could help i'd really appreciate it. Thanks :)

sawtooth

Quote from: tigermoth on April 23, 2014, 10:55:52 AM
Hullo chaps. Just wondered if anybody knew these songs. I've been listening to DLBN over the last few weeks, and a few tracks have played which I like the sound of but Tunein doesn't offer "now playing" info, and since the wollies at shazam stopped the dial up service i've struggled to find out who the bands are. All I can do is try and write snatches of the lyrics and then google them, but with the obscurer bands this doesn't work. If I write down the lyrics here, if any of you recognise them i'd be verry greatful of any info.  There was a track with what sounded like a verry slick singer. Sounded almost too polished for prog. Some lyrics were, "Not carving your name on my cherry tree. Whatever you don't do to me, hold me." sumat like that.
Another track extremely progressive. Constantly changing melody. some lyrics, "Mother can I sleep in today? He hits me the way his father hits him, He calls me a choir boy, catholic twerp?"
Next there was a track with a female singer. Verry melodic. lyrics something like "I know there's something there behind the wall, as the years they reach another high memory of days gone by."
And I can't even remember hearing this one but i've written down "Welcome my son, welcome to the machine. Where have you been. It's alright, we know where you've been."
First track seems to be from Thank You Scientist - 'A Salesman's Guide to Non-Existence''
Second track I think is by  Echolyn - 'Uncle'
Not sure about the third track.
The last one is definitely Pink Floyd - 'Welcome to the Machine'. (I cant believe you don't know that one young Tigermoth!!) ;D

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: sawtooth on April 23, 2014, 11:29:30 AM
Quote from: tigermoth on April 23, 2014, 10:55:52 AM
First track seems to be from Thank You Scientist - 'A Salesman's Guide to Non-Existence''
Second track I think is by  Echolyn - 'Uncle'
Not sure about the third track.
The last one is definitely Pink Floyd - 'Welcome to the Machine'. (I cant believe you don't know that one young Tigermoth!!) ;D

I think rather it's 'cos we're old, Sawtooth. Then again, at least they taught us how to spell back in the middle of the twentieth century  8)

"Wallies", my dear tigermoth, and "very"  ;)

tigermoth

"The last one is definitely Pink Floyd - 'Welcome to the Machine'. (I cant believe you don't know that one young Tigermoth"
My apologies, and this will not go down well, but i'm not as yet a big Pink Floid fan. Gasp, splutter. I keep thinking I need to listen to more and try and get in to them, but I keep dozing off when I do. That said I did enjoy Atom, although i've heard Floid fans say that's the worst album they did so what does that tell you.? Thanks for the info about the other songs. Great stuff. And i agolopise for my spelling, but I can play the In The Cage solo so I ain't bovered! :) Sorry, a bit cocky. But thanks again. If it helps, the one with the female singer was ... how can I say it? Almost a bit disneyfied. :) Verry pretty. My wife liked it. Right, i'm off to look at the other bands you mentioned. Many thanks :)

Drarok

Quote from: tigermoth on April 23, 2014, 10:55:52 AMNext there was a track with a female singer. Verry melodic. lyrics something like "I know there's something there behind the wall, as the years they reach another high memory of days gone by."
Are you sure you've not got two mixed up there?

The "behind the wall" section could be from KingBathmat – Behind The Wall. This isn't melodic nor female, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xUiSBG8RoM&t=1m30s

BUT! The "as the years" part could be "A piece of home, As the years they reach another high, I view the memories of the days gone by, Like a lifetime waiting in the sun" from Kaipa - A Complex Work of Art. Female, melodic. It fits!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0u3S9tSCaM&t=2m35s

tigermoth

Well by jove, pickle me wallnuts! I think you may have it sir. It was a few weeks since I wrote those down and I may have stuck them together! ... Yep, just listening now! Ooo that's nice, some lovely guitar work there too. The Kaipa one that is. Oh yes, smashing. Thanks a lot. Where have these guys been? :) Ah, just done some research and they've been around since before I was born. And once featuring Mr Stolt. Exceptional. ... And just listening to the King Bathmat. Hmm, not grabbing me quite so much, but stil good. Much obliged to you all. :)

Drarok

tigermoth

tigermoth

Calling all stations, or all Frosties. Trying to trace another band and your assistance would be much appreciated. Listening to DLBN again today and I've stil not found a way to see the names of what is playing. I heard something today very random and I loved it. It started off with bird samples made in to a rhythm, then after a while the rhythm and pitch of the birds was replicated by drums and synths. Then it all got a bit heavier. Then there were samples of a supposed radio phone in show with a slightly patronising presenter chapppy talking to someone called Nevil who was depressed three times a week. THis craziness went on for a couple of minutes. Then there was a little gap and this may have been the start  of  a new song but I don't think so. Then the following words: "Excuse me mate, what's that?" "Tha my friend, is a f--king Michael Cane, Terrible!" Then something about a dancing vase or something. Then a lot of bazoom bazoom bazoom bazooming
The whole thing was very random and just up my street. I need this randomness in my life! Can anyone help? :)

MikeEvs

It's by Jem it's called "the man with the 2.4" I don't remember the story or origins of the song but I'm sure some other Frosties can expand on that for you.

It's in Drarok's archive here http://www.drarok.com/frost/files/Toys/the_man_with_the_2_4.mp3

Mikey

Or alternatively PM me your email address & I´ll send it to you.
I used to have a signature

tigermoth

Hahahaha. That's the one. I shouldhave known it was Jem. That's great, although I did hope it was a band who had albums worth of this randomness that I could explore. Why is this man not a national treasure, or a night of the relm or something?

Mikey

Have a browse through the files, there´s a lot of stuff in there
I used to have a signature

tigermoth

I have been. It's great. Haha. This randomness has prompted me to post a bit of my own if anyone fancies a listen:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14720207/Tinned%20Tomatoes.mp3
A momento from my venture in to local radio. Unsurprisingly a brief one. Haha

sawtooth

Quote from: tigermoth on August 14, 2014, 12:48:03 PM
I have been. It's great. Haha. This randomness has prompted me to post a bit of my own if anyone fancies a listen:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14720207/Tinned%20Tomatoes.mp3
A momento from my venture in to local radio. Unsurprisingly a brief one. Haha

That is absolutely topper young TigerMoth - hints of Monty Python in there if I'm not mistaken!  You've got to play that one live!  ;D ;D