Yamaha Motif XF ....

Started by dtscape10, September 07, 2010, 12:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtscape10

I've just been looking at the spec of this thing. I was turned onto them by a YouTube clip (can't add it here due to lack of access at work) that shows a bunch of 80's patches programmed for the XS model (www.playkeyz.com). They sound fantastic and identical to the songs the patches come from. This turned my attention to the latest upgrade which is the XF.

Now... I'm not absolutly sure if my undersatnding is correct but

With the XF version it is possible to have 2gb of samples in the keyboard at all times (ie. from when you turn it on) and  there is no need to load them everytime you turn the keyboard on. Is this correct?

Pedro

I don't know anything about the XF but given that I have knocking on for 32GB of "samples" stored in my iPod and I don't have to load them everytime, I don't see why keyboards shouldn't be slowly catching up.  :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

jchop

Yes, that is correct, although I'm not sure about the 2GB (probably right... just can't remember off-hand).

The memory is non-volatile.  It'll be slow to load in large samples, but once it's there, it's there.

Nord (now) and Kurzweil (soon) also offer this.

-John

RWA

Quote from: "jchop"Yes, that is correct, although I'm not sure about the 2GB (probably right... just can't remember off-hand).

The memory is non-volatile.  It'll be slow to load in large samples, but once it's there, it's there.

Nord (now) and Kurzweil (soon) also offer this.

-John
Yes but does it have 6 keyboards like my Salmen Organ?!

Jem

Cor! It's like a keyboard and a library all fungled together with spells.

owen

How do you get that in the boot of a car?

D S

(Waits for inevitable 'big organ' joke...  ;) )
Come on, you\'re a lion!

AndreasK

Quote from: "D S"(Waits for inevitable 'big organ' joke...  ;) )

Had I not scrolled to the bottom of the page I would have made that joke.... It was a good one too....

Oh and am I the only one who always spells joke as hoke and the have to backspace to fix it? I guess it must be from all those common 'ho' words like hologram and hollandaise.
- Andreas

MarkOneMusic

Do you get a crick in the neck reading the music?

Yamahaforums

Quote from: "dtscape10"With the XF version it is possible to have 2gb of samples in the keyboard at all times (ie. from when you turn it on) and  there is no need to load them everytime you turn the keyboard on. Is this correct?

Yes but of course Yamaha make you pay extra for the privilege. A Flash memory board isn't fitted as standard.

QuoteUp to 2GB of optional Flash Wave memory – Two slots accommodate proprietary Yamaha flash board options- a 512MB flash board and a 1 GB flash board. Because this is Flash Memory, once you've loaded a sound once, it's always in your MOTIF when you turn it on.