Main Menu

Cubase 6

Started by E.S., October 10, 2011, 08:25:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

E.S.

So yes, I finally made the move to the new one. As with any updates, I expected things not to work, lots of plug-ins to re-install one by one, projects not loading exactly like they should etc... But the damn thing just fired up, it remembered everything I told it to, and all is well. :D

But, there are updates available online, it's been out almost a year already. I just wonder if there are other users around here who have tried and can confirm it works? I haven't spent enough time with it to find any bugs, although I'm sure there are plenty... but updates sometimes comes with new bugs and weird things, that's why the "pros" wait a while before installing. I thought I'd try to be one of those by checking first. :)

Mouse

Alls I knows is that when I finally get the funds to build my super-duper-wonder-'puter, I'll be running Cubase instead of Pro Tools. We mixed the Manning album on Cubase. I've been working with a *cough* 'special' version of SSX3 for putting some stuff together for Bert's podcast and it just works so much better for me than PT.

Quote from: "E.S."As with any updates, I expected things not to work, lots of plug-ins to re-install one by one, projects not loading exactly like they should etc... But the damn thing just fired up, it remembered everything I told it to, and all is well. :D  

...And that is testament to that. PT would have thrown everything out of the pram, lost several plug-ins and reconfigured itself so that it would only work after 20:00 on a Tuesday. In July.

Mikey

So.........

Numpty questions alert

What else do you need to purchase to use it? As I have no idea about this at all.
How do you imput into it?

& why did I forget this thread when hijacking the FFCS thread
I used to have a signature

Mouse

Quote from: "Mikey"What else do you need to purchase to use it?

A computer.

Mikey

Quote from: "john Cleese"It goes with out saying

& leads, guitar, microphone

So how would you import guitar & vocals?

gav

You would need an interface sir :)

Alas, do not go for an old M-Box as I've found at college they don't get on well with Cubase 6
Broadband! A whole 2.5MB of it!

E.S.

Based on feedback I grabbed the 6.0.4 pre-release, and it works for me. Probably killed a few bugs I haven't seen yet. :)

Yes, an audio interface. They don't have to cost a million or have 24 in/out, you can get good and cheap-ish ones. If you don't have a lot of gear going on at all times, I'd rather pay for a 2in/2out of good quality. Preferably one with 48v for mics and a dedicated instrument input.
You won't get a really great mic signal without a pre-amp, but you get sound. If you only record loud sources, it works great. The instrument input usually works fine for guitars & bass. I've used it a lot.

Oh, and there's the VST Amp Rack in Cubase 6, but I think it's only in the full version. Haven't tried it on guitar yet, but a friend plugged his bass in a few boxes with EQ and comp, then into Cubase with preset 1, no adjustments, and there's THE sound. Played with a pick, sounds like Geddy Lee with even bigger nads.  :D

RWA

There's a crap load of audio interfaces out there. Makes it hard to decide what to get but on the other hand the competition is steep. Which means prices drop fast and they throw in interesting software for free.

And ask yourself what it is you need: mic inputs or 'just' instrument inputs or both? Does it have to have midi? Some also operate as software controllers. I've used Tascam interfaces/controllers for years and love the extra controller functions of these devices. But again, ask yourself if you need them. For example, my son is using a Steinberg CI1 interface (€100) and it's awesome. If you need controller functions as well you might wanna go for a CI2.

If you're still wondering which program to get it's worth checking out what software comes with which interface.
For example: When I bought my TC interface last year it came with Cubase LE. I didn't need it because I have Cubase 5 but I installed it on the PC of a friend/singer I work with and it amazes me to see/hear how good it is. It has more then enough features for him to record his vocals and (midi) keyboard stuff. In fact, it's just as good and smooth as any other Cubase version, it's just limited in number of tracks and features. But it's a great way to get started. And it's a good way to figure out what kind of version you really need. Most of these programs come in several sizes and often it's not needed to buy the biggest. Steinberg starts at about €70 with SEQUEL and ends with NUENDO at about €1500 with lots of CUBASE versions in between. And you can always upgrade to a higher version for a reduced price.

Anyway, this is all Steinberg babbling. Makes sure you look at Roland/Cakewalk as well. And Presonus has some great interfaces as well which come with Studio One software. Line 6 makes some nice interfaces combined with amp modelling software. It's all worth looking at.  :)

E.S.

A friend of mine is working on Cubase Essentials and lovin it. Doing basic mixing and editing in a pretty cheap software.
For most people, an "essentials" version of anything should be great for recording and composing. There's also one called Artist, but I'm not sure what the difference is. I have always used the big one, since SX2-something, and then I used an illegal copy of 3-something for years and years, then a proper 5.
Anyway, it depends on what you wanna do. If you're just recording, there's no need to waste money on expensive software with lots of features you'll never use.

But if you are on a Mac, get Logic. Best value out there, no doubt. Not only because it's cheaper than Cubase, it's bundled with a LOT of good stuff. But then again, you paid a LOT for the Mac, so... :mrgreen:

Mikey

Quote from: "E.S."I have always used the big one
If you've got a big one, use it  ;)

Drarok

Quote from: "E.S."But if you are on a Mac, get Logic. Best value out there, no doubt. Not only because it's cheaper than Cubase, it's bundled with a LOT of good stuff. But then again, you paid a LOT for the Mac, so... :mrgreen:
Start off with GarageBand, tbh. It's free, and if you decide you need the extra oomph of Logic, you can import GarageBand projects directly.

E.S.

Oh yes, forgot about that, thanks.