The Philadelphia Experiment:Tell Ashleaze what you think!

Started by Pedro, June 18, 2010, 03:33:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesA

Quote from: "Sarah"
Quote from: "Pedro"Ashleaze (aka Sarah above) mentioned on the Tinyfish forum that she enjoyed reading other people's reviews of the album but we weren't saying much about it over here....I thought we should try to rectify that.
For future reference, Sarah is not the tallest of people and so can sometimes be seen near the front at gigs (if the freakishly tall and the lawyers with notebooks let here in). If you see her, ask to see her ID, she likes that....  ;)
(In-Joke from the Tinyfish forum, I make no apologies for it)

Quote from: "JamesA"If you let her in she just blocks the bands from getting up on the stage  :roll:

I am reviewing my opinions of freakishly tall people and lawyers with notebooks....

Everyone's doing reviews these days, it seems (expect me...I just half do them and leave them to stew)

Mouse

Moderators, would you keep an eye on JamesA, please? We don't want his wit going on another rampage...  :roll:

The Philadelphia Experiment
is one hell of a brilliant album. It showcases the band's fantastic music in a different environment, while also displaying the talent of each member on stage. As Bert said, this is definitive Frost*.

And I just love the drums! To me, they've been mixed so that they sound like we're listening to them as they're happening out of NDV's own face.  :D

Bert

Quote from: "Jem"
Quote from: "davejd"
Quote from: "rogerg"well, I ain't got mine yet, as I'm across the pond, but I was there, and if I remember correctly, it was Nick that played the oboe. gonzo will correct me, if'n I'm wrong! 8-)
It'll definately be worth the wait, it's up there with Yessongs, Exit Stage Left, and Live Scenes From New York. Brilliant stuff!

It's lovely that you say that mate, thank you. :D  I tried to base it on things like Exit Stage Left, Seconds Out and Three Sides Live where I thought that excitement would override any occasional technical or musical slips.

Most of all though, I think it captures the vibe of the night where we all had a lot of fun and I think the band became a little bit better as a result.  :D

Amen.

I've said it elsewhere, but it's definitive Frost* (thus far) and devoid of all hyperbole, IS one of the best live albums I've ever heard.
I am a Norfolk Man and glory in being so!
http://www.deadnobodies.net
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now
Your world is now officially a better place!

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

Mouse

The proper CD version of The Dividing Line also confirms my suspicion that it is the best thing Frost* have ever come out with. That's the definitive song so far, in my opinionated onions. BLM's still my favourite, but TDL is the best.  8-)

turbo

Quote from: "Mouse"The proper CD version of The Dividing Line also confirms my suspicion that it is the best thing Frost* have ever come out with. That's the definitive song so far, in my opinionated onions. BLM's still my favourite, but TDL is the best.  8-)
Never mind the CD version the 5.1 remix is just brilliant stuff the way jems keyboards move from speaker to speaker just blows my mind, by far the best thing frost have ever done and thats quite some statement considering what has come before it.  :D
?"By the beard of Zeus"

Jim Takacs

Boy, Last Night was the Ultimate Frost Evening for me! After Completely Enjoying the Documentary and extras I Fired up Disk one!! This is Absolutely THE BEST live Album I Have ever heard!  As Some before posted that It Highlights the Sheer Talent of these Gentlemen is a Massive understatement! This May Sound strange to some but Im sure others will agree, but While watching and listening I felt as if I was listening to a Good friends Band!  What Jem has Created With the Frost Reports, Forum and Just showing us Himself and the Band in the was he has Is VERY Rare and Unique! I Get So Incredibly Frustrated When I Think about how Insanely Huge they would be here in the states. Every Single person I turn on to them are Immediately Obsessed! Then Again the majority of people I talk with or are friends are musicians!  How about a Live DVD of this show?? :P  This Will Go Down as One of he Greatest Live recordings in History! Someday! :(
::I Like Cheese::

OlliR

For me this album goes nicely along with Seconds out and Livefields in my top-3 live albums list. Falling down works really well in a live setting and The other me is just 7 minutes of rawking bliss  8-) .
My desparate cry for attention, //http://www.soundcloud.com/ollipr

brakkum

Well, looks like it came yesterday. Not bad at all, considering I ordered it early Monday morning and am in Minnesota... I am currently putting it on my computer with much anticipation.

rogerg

Quote from: "brakkum"Well, looks like it came yesterday. Not bad at all, considering I ordered it early Monday morning and am in Minnesota... I am currently putting it on my computer with much anticipation.

:shock:

wickedwitch

i've not heard it/seen any of it yet. I havent even managed to get round to TDL after a hurried first listen. I need to go flagellate myself with birch rods.   :oops:

Bert

Finally removed constant loops of Lunar Jim and gained access to my 5.1 rig this morning to listen to the surround mix of TDL today. Awesome !

Many moons ago, not on this forum, or even the last forum, but the forum before that ( :shock: ) I asked Jem whether he'd ever considered doing 5.1 mixes of Milliontown (at the time). I'm a big fan of them, have got all the P Tree, Genesis ones etc etc.

Anyway, his reply was fairly non-committal and he had no plans to do any mixes, but ended on the lines of "never say never" or something like that.

And now !!!  :o  As far I'm concerned, I'm taking full credit of planting the 5.1 seed in Jem's mind all those years ago, which has been burrowing it's way through his sub-conscious mind until it's glorious fruition with TDL.  :D

There's no need to rush and thank me  ;)  :D
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

Pedro

Well I'll thank you whether or not it was you!
While I'm at it I'll thank Rob Reed a little bit more for the use of his kit. :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Bert

Quote from: "Pedro"Well I'll thank you whether or not it was you!
While I'm at it I'll thank Rob Reed a little bit more for the use of his kit. :)

I agree !!  :D
Ladies and gentlemen
You can relax now

More Pram In The Wedge !
Stereo Trellis

brakkum

Quote from: "rogerg"
Quote from: "brakkum"Well, looks like it came yesterday. Not bad at all, considering I ordered it early Monday morning and am in Minnesota... I am currently putting it on my computer with much anticipation.

:shock:
:shock:  :shock:

dtscape10

I have to say that I think these recordings are brilliant.... I prefer these to the studio versions. I think it's the energy that brings the songs to life more. Love the drumming as well... I've always been a fan of NDV anyway and this is a great example of his playing quality!!!!
The mix is great and the playing is superb.... Can't wait to see them in December!!!!! ;)