EIMA discussion and appriciation thread

Started by Qjimbo, November 16, 2008, 01:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elevenseventysix

Quote from: "gr8gonzo"Welcome, jack.  It is rather pleasing to the ear, isn't it?

Definitely!

Although I find myself messing with the volume in my car constantly with this record! The louds are so loud, and the quiets are so quiet... This coupled with a car engine and a motorway makes me reach for the volume button a lot!

gr8gonzo

Certainly true of the first two tracks.  All part of Jem's sinister plan to make us buy new audio systems.   :D
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

elevenseventysix

Quote from: "gr8gonzo"Certainly true of the first two tracks.  All part of Jem's sinister plan to make us buy new audio systems.   :D

...so long as he's paying! ;)

Valhall

After a first spin, all I can say is I'm very, very surprised. I wasn't expecting such a change, despite all that was said in the many Frost* reports all this time.

EIMA definitely severed almost all ties with Milliontown. Is it better, or worse ? Neither, really, it's just different. But not entirely different...

Because I can still feel this very unique enthusiasm that exudes from every note, this brilliant, cristalline melodic work which seems to be gathering musical energy and then, here and there, merely let this energy flow away freely with a peculiar melancholy that never fails to touch me.

This "Frost* mood" I can't find anywhere else - and here it is. Had to wait two years to have it back. It's both very clear to me (I can't help but feel it when listening), and at the same time absolutely impossible to define. A kind of magic, really (pun completely intended).

Oh, how many more times I'm gonna listen to this record... I can say the aforementioned enthusiasm leaked into me already. I feel good :)
...Whatever.

RacingHippo

Quote from: "Valhall"it's just different. But not entirely different...
Wise words, indeed!
* May contain nuts.

rogerg

Quote from: "jackgnic"Now where did I put that CD...

it's in the cd player, silly, where it belongs!!

welcome, jack!  8-)

Mickdoo22

YES!!!!!! I got it today!!!!   So far....I am blown away!
First impression:

Much better IMO than Milliontown......better songs, MANY more goosebump moments!  There is SO MUCH more PROG here than I was led to believe!

The chorus to Dear Dead Days is absolutely FUCKING brilliant.....wow.

Dec Burke is KING!  His vocals add so much....witness the chorus on Toys.  

THis album has many layers.....and I am psyched to find them all.

catherine

And the more you listen to it, Mick, the better it gets. The detail is lovely.

Mickdoo22

It does indeed!  My thoughts as I blast through about my 8th spin....

Three absolute killer songs in my book:

Dear Dead Days....I HATE the keyboard intro that sounds like a cheesy video game.....however, this is an absolute killer prog tune in every way.....and again, the chorus is KILLER!

Toys....call it prog, call it rock, call it what you will......I call it just a great song.!

Falling Down....it's impossible NOT to love this one!

I really dig this album!  Least favorite....."Saline".  Just not my thang.

On the plus side.....I think the addition of Dec Burke was brilliant....he adds a whole new dimension and range.  I also think the songs are strong, the production is great, and it falls in my preference of 3-5 minute songs, less wanking, and more ebb and flow.
The negatives?.....the album is overly dense in some places...almost to the point of ripping your face off!  :)  In spots it works, in others, I find myself wishing I could hear the detail of some of the parts a bit more.  I also think the vocals are over effected in spots.  Other than that..........WOW!

Gandalf1986

You talk
You think you own me
You miss the point completely
These things I do they\'re not for you
I\'m sick and I\'m tired
Leave me alone...
[/b]

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana. - Pedro

Mickdoo22

Ok.....with the benefit of three days to totally absorb this album, I have to be honest in saying my feelings on this album are VERY mixed.
As I said before.....I think song wise this album is stronger than Milliontown overall, with three being absolute monsters.  I also think Dec Burke's addition was a masterstroke.
HOWEVER, at the risk of suffering the slings and arrows of everyone on this forum, I have to say that in many places on this album, the overall sound is almost annoying to be honest.  For instance,  from 32 seconds on, "Pocket Sun" is almost un-listenable to me.  It is so dense/cluttered, and distorted that it is hard to take.  I think in general it is due to the big resonant synths, and the dense arrangements, coupled with that trash can cymbal throughout the song.   Being honest, much of the album has similar issues.  It is very difficult to distinguish individual synth/guitar parts, vocal lines, etc......in places things just get buried and it is really a mess.   The dynamic range on this album is amazing.....but almost to extremes.  Some of the soft passages are almost inaudible, and some of the heavier parts are just too much.
It's a bit frustrating to be honest.

pastoor

I can understand your opinion on the density of the sound, but.... that also adds to the overall feel of the album. For me it took some time to get used to, but now I've listened to it over 10 times I really love the album in general. Up tempo songs are nicely mixed with slower songs throughout the album. I like that. And with regard to the dynamics a good sound system will do a lot of good. In a car there is always a lot of background noise that will prevent you from hearing softer parts.

Ash

Have you tried having a good listen to the instrumentals before giving it another go?  Worked for me.
Ash
xxx

Mikey

Quote from: "pastoor"In a car there is always a lot of background noise that will prevent you from hearing softer parts.
Wife......Kids...........Mother
I used to have a signature

Mickdoo22

Quote from: "Sarah"Have you tried having a good listen to the instrumentals before giving it another go?  Worked for me.
I will give that a shot Sarah...thanks.  I have already played the CD in my home system, on three different set of monitors in my studio, and in my car.....all with the same results.  But that's worth a shot.