The Summer Of Software

Started by Jem, June 03, 2009, 09:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catherine

Brom

Is this skirt a new fashion in digital audio software, instead of one big package, is the recording covered by lots of little sequincers?
I am out of the office. Messages can be left with Mr. C Lyons on 020 7722 3333

rogerg

Quote from: "Brom"Is this skirt a new fashion in digital audio software, instead of one big package, is the recording covered by lots of little sequincers?

heh

and is it midi length?

Mouse

I officially f**king hate Windows f**king Vista now. I loathe it's guts. It's causing Cubase to emit loud, completely random screams of organ sound which cut out all sound at any time, most annoyingly through session playback. It's a massive barrell of quivering arse garnished with a dressing of crap salad. Bah!  :evil:

I would swear more but, since this is a nice Forum for nice people, you'll have to imagine it instead. (Cue loud, building stomping Godzilla style rage)

RWA

Quote from: "Mouse".... It's causing Cubase to emit loud, completely random screams of organ sound which cut out all sound at any time, most annoyingly through session playback. It's a massive barrell of quivering arse garnished with a dressing of crap salad. Bah!  :evil:
It's called prog you silly!  ;)

Mouse

Of course! For a second I thought it was Jazz Fusion. Then I woke up from the nightmare...  ;)

SerFox

Quite late on in the thread, my rig is Logic Studio 8 in the form of Mainstage. I sculpt all my sounds in the in built synthesizers or sample whatever I can, and it has full on-board effect and amp rigs to beef the live sound, and I can even use it as a live guitar and bass and vocal amp. I also use it for soundtracking, producing, mixing, sound designing ...

Reason, although quite limited in some ways, has great live potential with the combinator, and you can use a remote controller to switch patches. A good way to work with Reason live would be to have two keyboards and have two combinators running, where the first would have the soundsets 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 and the second would have sounds 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 so you could switch seamlessly between sounds. Not completely practical but it's reliable and has good flow. And you get to feel like a real keybaord player with two controllers :3

Also with the upcoming release of Record, I think they may also delve into the live market also, since their taking Reason that far with guitar, amp, vocal and keyboard rigs combined with reason, the next logical step for them would be to produce something for live performance. I don't know if record would do live well, I'm still waiting to see if I get invited to beta test. I was on the Reason 4.0 beta team so thats probably knocked my place down somewhat....

One final point is that ableton live links with just about anything that can carry an audio signal and is fantastic with external controllers. You might also want to check out MAX for live, if you've ever delved into Max/MSP or Max 5, they are indespensable live performance sculpting tools and can make adding those simple details like delays that are accurately timed, reverbs or other sounds and effects that would normally have to be dependant on say a workstations keyboard capabilities you can overlay those sounds and effects over sounds from other applications and not have to rely on how many effects slots your G8 has.

*looks up at his post*

When the spoon did I learn so much about DAW's and live performance?

leelustig

Quote from: "Jem"Righto, after these DT gigs, there's a good chance I'm going to be switching to a laptop rig.

The current plan is to use Mainstage with Live 8 for any sequencing that needs doing. I'm gonna get a couple of Lacie Firewire 800 320gb drives (@7200rpm) for streaming samples and whatnot and control it with this Novation 61SL MKII that's sat here in front of me.

My laptop is a MacBook Pro (not the new new ones) Dual Core Intel 2.5gHz Processor with 4GB of RAM. And I'll be running it all out of an Apogee Duet.

My question is this - has anybody here run a similar rig for gigs and is there anything doused in impediment that I need to know before I get my credit card out? Latency, patch changes etc...?

Molto ta!

Jx
So the MKII is the only board you're using? I know it's got semi-weighted keys... I guess it'll work for all kinds of sounds.

It's all a bold step. bold step indeed.
I've seen paupers as kings,
puppets on strings
dance for the children who stare
you must have seen them everywhere

fergey

Quote from: "Jem"Me and the Nozza did actually debate if it would be possible. We concluded that it would and that we wouldn't rule it out. It would actually be rather bleedin' cool.  :D

I did an imrpomtu 15 minutes on the iPhone with Looptastic the other night at my mate's gig, I reckon Apple should give me some shares the amount of folk that came up to me afterwards to ask what I had been 'playing' and then went off to look into getting one!

fergey

And I popped along to the Throbbing Gristle gig in Glasgow last night. They did a live accompaniment to a movie and Cosey was playing BeBot throughout. GPO also had an app running which reacted to him moving the device (filter changes etc)

Jem

Well, now I've got the Novation I have to say that it's.....not very good. It's fine for synth and lead stuff, but there seems to be a huge null point around the middle velocities. It's virtually impossible to play any meaningful piano on it as it's either REALLY loud or inaudible. And that's using the most sympathetic velocity curve I can find on it.

Shame really coz apart from that it's very good as a controller.

So the quest goes on...Anybody played the Axioms?

Fishy

My mate has one of the smaller ones, and they're solid little things. Though I can't remember the velocity response very well.

By the way jem, did jordan show you his nanokey? You might like them, you could just stick it to anywhere, they're great fun to play.

fergey

I am by no means anywhere near your standard Jem but I have a couple of M-Audio boards and find the automap feature really useful. Had a go on one of these at my mates and it is cracking://http://www.dv247.com/invt/38325/

Billy Currie from Ultravox uses it's big brother, a red 88 key jobbie and he says its the dog's danglies, blooming pricey though for those of us that can't claim it through our business (neither Payroll system engineers or horse dealers can claim a legitimate excuse apparently, bloody accountants)

Gotta agree with Fishy the Nanokey is a cracking wee thing

rogerg

I have a Nanopad and it's a fun little go!

EVP

I have both the Axiom 25 and the 61 and quite like them. They are the original
Black models. I hear the keybed's are better on the "white tuxedo" models and they
have the new displays,and their knobs are the new, non-clicky kind. My knobs
are the clicky ones and I really don't mind them if I say so. The keys feel fine
though I've moved on from a K2000 which had the worst spongey key bed ever
so that was a move up for me.

The Axiom Pro's also have that new mapping protocol thingy. There is a video
of Phil Jackson demonstrating it with PT 8,though I believe it works with other
applications.  Check out the Maudio page.

OH and the drum pads are nice too,though I wished they had more of them
and with lights like the ones on the Korg PadKontrol and your Fantom's.
I believe the controllers have 9 velocity curves though I've never messed with them.

I currently only do basic midi control stuff with them and for playing piano parts
they seem fine to me. I have the korg nano pad and nanokontrol that I'll have
worked into my setup side by side eventually.