Main Menu

All Change

Started by Jem, May 20, 2009, 10:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jem

What-ho Frosties, a few items of parish news, most of which is largely bad I'm afraid...

First off, Vice Admiral Jowitt is leaving our shores to pastures new. He's been super busy setting up his new business this year and having to play bass and tour manage Frost*, IQ and generally be a prog rock god in addition to his commitments to his new venture has taken it's toll on the poor thing so he needs to go and sit in a darkened room with a hot compress and a copy of Tatler until further notice. He's brought a country ton of goodness, enthusiasm and order to Frost* over the years and I, we, them and me want to say a big thank you to him and wish him extremely well for the future.

A Mr J Jowitt, 24, of Stourbridge writes –

"Blimey, has it been over three years?! I'm as proud as Punch to have been involved in Frost*, but it's time to move on to other things.  As well as my new business in real life, which is taking up a lot of my time at the moment, I've been talking about doing something myself for  
ages - it's high time I did it.  Or else how am I ever going to get back to RoSFest next year..? Thanks to Jem, John, Dec Andy and everyone involved in the band for a great ride, and I look forward to see where the band goes next.  Anywhere it blooming well wants to, I reckon.

Oh, and a big thank you and goodbye too from The Lovely Deb.  There is no truth in the rumour that we're running off together, honest..."

Obviously this puts a dampener on the DVD I was planning so for the time being, that idea is has been put in a box marked "To Do", but it will happen at some point, it's too good an idea (in my humble opinion) for it not to see the light of day.

Replacing JJ for the 2 UK Dream Theater shows will be the lithe and finely detailed Mr Nathan King, son of the 80's pop band King who had a number 2 hit in 1985 with "Love and Pride".

Some of you will know Nathan from his role as stunt double for Lee Pomeroy in It Bites of late so I'm sure you'll join me in throwing welcoming biscuits at him at the earliest opportunity and also join me in welcoming back Andy Edwards into our moist live crevice. It'll be good to have him back.

The other bit of bad news is that we've had to cancel our planned appearances with Dream Theater in Lisbon and Munich. Partly down to tour manager issues (i.e. we haven't got one any more and I haven't got time to start being one) and also because Alex Thomas (our replacement TBE for these 2 shows) is very busy with Squarepusher commitments and preparations for Glastonbury throughout June. Add that to my already fairly intense work commitments also in June and it was becoming clear that meaningful rehearsals and effective gig co-ordination were not going to be possible. Andy can't do the shows, Nick D'Virigilo can, but he lives 6,000 miles away and flying him all that way to play for 40 minutes seemed a little impractical not to mention cost prohibitive. I couldn't face teaching a fourth drummer how to play the set and so it seemed the writing was on the wall.

I do sincerely and truly apologise to any Frosties that were planning on coming to see us and for the short notice of this cancellation. I'm gutted we won't be able to make it out to play for you and that I won't get to see Lisbon or Munich after all.

Obviously Dream Theater will still be appearing and the gigs will still be going ahead without us.

On a more positive note, the live album recorded at RoSFest is now finished and sounding jolly good so that should be out in the next couple of months, record companies permitting.

Well that's all for now, I'm very sorry I couldn't be the bearer of better news, but we seem due for our yearly dose of misfortune once again. :(

Take care out there.

Jxx

ich_bin_besser

Damn...  :?

All the best, JJ!!
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

catherine

So does Nathan King look as good in stockings as dear JJ?

DannySoisSage

Very sad news  :( Best of luck JJ, don't forget us! Keep us updated on what you're up to, you've made plenty of friends over this last couple of years  :)

Still, In Jem We Trust! I guess this could play with your plans a bit but well excited to see what you have planned to get around it.

Worse things happen at sea boys  :)

ich_bin_besser

Oh, I forgot to say: welcome back, Andy (in case this German got this part right...)!!
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Pajter

That is terrible news indeed. I sincerely hope you're all able to get out of this rut and continue to RAWK! Best of luck to JJ!

Where would this world be without any Frost*? I don't (want) to know... :P

As for the live album: woohoo! That's a very bright spot on the dark horizon. :)

DueyC

So, following in the footsteps of our own Cosmic Lawnmower, another Islander gets to play with Frost*. Welcome to Nathan, and a very big welcome back to Andy.
Also to be found running the website and merch sales at www.lifesignsmusic.co.uk

Drarok

Oh dear, bad news indeed. Sorry to see Mr JJ go, but secretly glad the UK Dream Theater gigs are still go. My best to all!

XeRocks81

Quote from: "ich_bin_besser"Oh, I forgot to say: welcome back, Andy (in case this German got this part right...)!!

WEll, I believe he is only coming back to play those two UK Dream Theater gigs right?  AFter that we'll eventually get to see Mr. Alex Thomas with Frost* at some point in the distant future.

Pedro

Well, my heart goes out to the Munich and Lisbon gig-goers who now won't see it, that is a real shame.

As for JJ's move, I wouldn't go so far as to declare it bad/terrible news but it is definitely a source of deep sadness for me as a fan. Besides the obvious bass-genius, JJ brings so much to the show in terms of audience interaction and flat-out fun and he has clearly been a driving force in the Frost*ie merch department too. He's such a nice bloke.
I have been very lucky in terms of the number of times I have witnessed JJ in Frost* formation so perhaps this makes it a little easier to accept his moving onwards and hopefully upwards?
I'm rather keen to know more about what he is moving on to do but, of course, that is up to him to divulge if he wants to. I just add my best wishes for success in whatever it is.
Of course, you can take the man out of Frost* but you can never take Frost* out of the man!

Looking forward to thoroughly enjoying the Leeds gig even more now and happy to get the chance to say "So long JJ, and thanks for all the Bass"! :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

gr8gonzo

Very, very, verrrry sorry to see JJJJJJJJJ of Jshire depart our beloved Frost*.  My very best regards to Mr. Jowitt for being quite the underrated bassist, behind the scenes miracle worker and a top gent.  And, of course, best wishes for his future plans, whatever they may be.  A huge loss.  I believe the proper Brit term is "gutted."  Thank you, JJ!!

Glad to see TBE picking up sticks for the good ship once again, albeit temporarily.  WB, Andy!

I do hope for some solid evidence that Alex is actually in this band, eventually.   ;)

As for this hiccup/hiccough in Jem's plans, I liken Frost* to the Black Knight...

Arthur: Your arm's off.
Black Knight:  'Tis but a scratch.

Wounded, but not out of the game.  As long as Jem can continue to find suitable limbs and patch together his "little Frankenstein," Frost* will return to fight another day.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

turbo

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:  southampton  :D  :D  :D
?"By the beard of Zeus"

Mouse

Fare-the-well, Sir J.J. of Jowitt! Thank you so much for the splendiforous bass you have contributed to the Frost* flagship over the past few years. Cheers to you, old bean!  :D

Can I also say a big, biscuit laden welcome to Mr. King for stepping in for the two UK gigs. I look forward to it immensley!  :D

Right, who here said they could play bass? We can make that DVD happen, guys!  8-)

rogerg

wow.  that is some news.  bummer.  we'll miss you, JJ.

but we'll catch you in all the other things you do!

going to go have a little cry now.

Mirror

Very sad to see Sir JJ go, he was a very nice guy, and was one hell of a bassist!  I think this is the part where we all thank him for the great music, and wish him well!
THUNDERFROG! [size=50]tiny frog[/size]....thunder billows from your head!