Main Menu

Nik Kershaw

Started by dtscape10, September 15, 2010, 10:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtscape10

Now I know he's not really prog but he is a great songwriter.

I've been listening to his '15 Minutes' album for several years now and I still love it... I keep going back too it.

I would highly recommend it. If you love good songs with great melodies... this is the album for you :D

RacingHippo

You don't have to be a progger to be a superb musician :)
I'm sure you'll get a lot of "me too"s here for Uncle Nik.
* May contain nuts.

Pedro

Quote from: "RacingHippo"I'm sure you'll get a lot of "me too"s here
Yes, Racing Hippo too.  :)
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

RWA

Huge fan here!  :)
Ever since "Human Racing". "15 minutes" is indeed one of the finest pop albums out there.
Not to fond of the latest two I have to say. There are some good tracks on them but not as overall strong as all his other albums. The Riddle is his finest IMO. Classic album on my list.

dtscape10

Superb musician indeed. A brilliant guitarist as well... Some very tasteful playing indeed. :D
I checked out his videos on YouTube yesterday and found some great concert footage (took me back to my childhood as I was a big Nik Kershaw fan in the 80's) from the 80's and they still sound amazing today. It shocked me just how good it sounded as I tend to cringe at some of the stuff I used to listen to.. but this was definatly an exception. Check them out if you get the chance.. You won't be dissapointed.

Also recommend "Radio Musicola" which is another amazing album of his. In particular "L.A.B.A.T.Y.D.", "Life Goes On" and "Violet To Blue".... Beautiful stuff. :D

gr8gonzo

He did sing a few songs on Tony Banks' "Still" album. I'd group him with Howard Jones as far as songwriting ability (that's meant as a compliment).
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

Mooncat

I'm a big fan of Mr K.

Didn't Jem mention something about working with him at one point (or is it something I said to Jem he really aught to do :? )
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

dtscape10

NIK + JEM = GENIUS!!!!!! :D
That would be a real class act. ;)

Mooncat

Thinking about it, if it does happen I want a credit for suggesting it  8-)
One of the brave Defenders of the Realm - Lydney, October 2010
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

MikeEvs

Jem did indeed mention it:

Quote from: "Jem"And I'm writing with Nik Kershaw. It's going to be a good month.  :D

Can be found HERE

Dave M

So that was Feb 2010 .. I can't remember Jem mentioning the writing sessions .. I wonder what occurred ?
... it was like watching a peach jelly f##k a steel drum ..  

Gman

He's a total genius...he's one of the few artists that is actually able to write comical lyrics without them sounding naff. Very clever with his use of words...one song that lyrically I really like is "Wounded Knee" - http://www.nikkershaw.net/the-works/wounded-knee

Of course it helps with his stuff that he's got legendary drummers on most of it. "Old House" from You've Got To Laugh is a fave for it's odd time groove.

MrBabou

I LOOOOVE Nik Kershaw!

It's my wife who introduced me to his music. Well, I knew the song Wouldn't It Be Good, but that was it. She had his actual albums. The three first ones. I instantaneously liked them, and have remained among my favorite pop/rock albums. Now, my 15 year old son has some of his songs on his MP3 player.

I've bought 15 Minutes and To Be Frank on CD, and I was able to track down a copy of Radio Musicola on CD. I also have a compilation CD. I'm keeping my eye opened for Human Racing, and mostly The Riddle for a decent price. In the meantime I have made LP rips of these two...
"The mind is like a parachute: it works best when it\'s open"... Frank Zappa

Jamyu

I've heard only one song by him, but I love it.

The thing with the flute, or some kind of wind instrument. About a man dancing round a tree.... xD

Sorry I'm so ignorant >_<

Ash

Ash
xxx