Main Menu

Private Godfrey

Started by Trapezium Artist, July 12, 2010, 11:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trapezium Artist

Well, a nice new blog post I see, but with a couple of questions that remain unanswered for me, Jem: can you fill us in?

1. Are you saying that the ELP cover version cover CD in its entirety will now not appear in any form, let alone on the cover? Has the whole project been canned?

2. On your Fanfare, how come you're banned from playing a cover, but ELP weren't / aren't? Doesn't sound very consistent of the Coplands to me. Are you sure you can't just accidentally leave a copy of it on a USB stick down the end of your garden for one of the Frost*ies to accidentally pick up on some gum on his/her shoe, and then accidentally upload it on to a dark corner of the web for we fan(fare)s to have a listen to? Hmm, probably not, worse luck ...

Bugger. What a crock  :(

rogerg

Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"Bugger. What a crock  :(

agreed.  

but a lovely post, nonetheless.  went very well with the 2009 Brother Ape - No More I was listening to at the time.

Mouse

It is indeed a very nice blog post. One of the many things I admire about Jem (and the Godfreys in general) is their seemingly never-ending reserves of optimism. Fanfare gets blocked forever - bugger. Oh well, it's Summer, 1976 is on the way and Summer's End will be a lark. Nothing can truly bring 'im down!  :D

TA, I believe ELP managed to get their version of Fanfare released because they went round the Copland Estate (who also rejected their version) and sent it directly to Aaron Copland himself, who said something among the lines of "I love it, it's exactly what I wrote it for, release it immediately..." And, just so the Copland Estate don't come banging on my door in the middle of the night for my blood, that was from memory and should be considered innacurate. You w*nkers.  :evil:

Unfortunately, in many ways, Mr. Copland is no longer with us, so the method of going around the Estate is not an option. Strange how a piece of music which was written for the common man should be "protected" by a few people who think they know best and must preserve a piece of published, recorded and very much celebrated music from, well, people who wish to celebrate its magnificence further.

gr8gonzo

Still does not explain all those dance remixes I found, but //

Wish I could join you all for SE, however I am sufficiently excited at the prospect of hearing MCM76 some time this year (unless Jem has to get clearance from the Godfrey Estate. we all know how THEY are).
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

Pedro

I hope no-one thinks the Copland Estate is a residential area or something.
There would not have been an 'estate' as such while Copland was alive. He would have had publishers or some form of agent though so I expect that's who were 'worked around'.
BTW let's go easy on the name-calling. I don't suppose they would ever look in here but, just the same. We don't really know what happened or how it went down.
"Putting food on the table is more important than 7/8"

Jem

Yes, I'm with Pedders, let's calm ourselves down and move on.

BTW, I don't think the entire CD is defunct, Jerry did say there's a chance it can all be cleared (bar Fanfare) at some point later this year. Lawyers are an imperious bunch and have no concept of something as petty as a publishing deadline.  :roll:

Anyway, fingers crossed that the other guys' stuff will get an airing. I heard the Magenta track and L'il Johnny Mitchell's track and it was all jolly good. I was chatting to Pallas at the same time and it sounds like they HUGELY pulled the stops out for their track too although I never got to hear it.

RIght must dash, got a bugger of a day ahead and I need to get stuck in if I'm to get this scary "to do" list pruned a bit before evensong. :D

Trapezium Artist

OK, apologies for the slight over-reaction, but still ... lawyers, really  :evil:

Mouse

I must apologise for my, er, loud rant. I was 'helped along' by a decent measure of Southern Comfort, and it wasn't a good evening for me. So, yes, sorry about that.  :)

*Goes and sits on the naughty step with a dunce hat on*

Pedro

Never mind that....did you know that Copland was a project at Apple Computer to create an updated version of the Macintosh operating system?

As System 7.5 was code-named "Mozart", the next-generation operating system that was intended to address the looming architectural issues was dubbed "Copland" after composer Aaron Copland.

It was to have introduced protected memory, preemptive multitasking and a number of new underlying operating system features, yet still be compatible with the vast majority of existing Mac software. Development began in 1994 and was underway in earnest by 1995. Starting around that time the system was also commonly referred to as System 8 or Mac OS 8.

During development the system started collecting new features at an alarming rate and the completion date continued to slip into the future.

CEO Gil Amelio complained that Copland was "just a collection of separate pieces, each being worked on by a different team ... that were expected to magically come together somehow." Hoping to salvage the situation, Amelio hired Ellen Hancock away from National Semiconductor to take over engineering and get Copland development back on track.

After a few months on the job, Hancock came to the conclusion that the situation was hopeless; given current development and engineering, she felt Copland would never ship. Instead, she suggested that the various user-facing technologies in Copland be rolled out in a series of staged releases, instead of a single big release. To address the aging infrastructure below these technologies, Hancock suggested looking outside the company for an entirely new operating system. Apple officially canceled Copland in August 1996. While the CD envelopes for the developer's release had been printed, the discs themselves had not been mastered.

johninblack

I suppose they got mail from the Copland estate banning them from using the name. :roll:

Sorry......
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

Pedro

Hmm....okay, try this....

Never mind that, did you know that "Cop Land" is a 1997 American drama film written and directed by James Mangold with an ensemble cast featuring Sylvester Stallone, Harvey Keitel, Ray Liotta, Robert De Niro, Robert Patrick, Peter Berg, and Michael Rapaport.

In the fictional town of Garrison, New Jersey, located across the Hudson River from New York near the George Washington Bridge, a large number of residents are New York City Police Department officers.

Murray 'Superboy' Babitch (Michael Rapaport), Donlan's nephew, gets sideswiped on George Washington Bridge by a couple of African American teens. Thinking that they had fired a gun at him, he returns fire and they are killed in an ensuing crash. Worried about a possible racial incident, Donlan decides the best solution is to fake Babitch's death by suicide by jumping off the George Washington Bridge. When another corrupt cop is caught red-handed trying to plant a weapon on one of the deceased motorists to justify the shooting, their fellow corrupt cops (Harvey Keitel, Robert Patrick, John Spencer and Arthur J. Nascarella) fear Babitch will testify to internal affairs about police corruption.

Smelling a coverup in Babitch's "death", Tilden (Robert De Niro) asks Heflin to provide internal affairs with information on the corrupt cops. Even though they are corrupt and work in a different city, Heflin views them as allies and brothers, able to accomplish what he could not. His reluctance to betray his friends derails the investigation.

Two melancholy songs from Bruce Springsteen's 1980 album The River, "Drive All Night" and "Stolen Car", along with an effective Howard Shore score, help set the atmosphere.

gr8gonzo

Never mind that. Did you know that Walmington-on-Sea is a fictional seaside resort where the BBC Television sitcom, BBC radio series and film Dad's Army was based? Located on the channel coast of England in the county of Kent, the national "front line" following the evacuation of the British Expeditionary Force from Dunkirk during the Second World War.

The series followed the adventures and misadventures of members of a platoon of the Home Guard, a volunteer army formed from those ineligible for conscription through age or occupation to defend the United Kingdom from German invasion following the defeat of France.

Walmington-on-Sea had a pleasure pier, with a 20-foot-wide gap (6.1 m) blown in the middle to prevent it from being used as a landing stage by invading forces. The beach is lined with barbed wire and other defences, including mines, pill boxes and anti-tank blocks.

There was a sweet shop, The "Novelty Rock Emporium", at least one bank (the fictional Swallow Bank, (which appeared in early episodes), the real Martins Bank), the Marigold tea-rooms, Anne's Pantry, the Dutch Oven, a butcher's shop, greengrocer's, undertaker's and numerous pubs including the Red Lion, which all suggest it was a reasonably-sized place. Like most British towns, it also had a church, Saint Aldhelm's, with a hall next door which was used for community acts such as putting on a Christmas pantomime and a place for the sea scouts to parade.

Although it is never specified where the town is, there are several references to Hastings, Eastbourne and Dover which suggests that it could be based on Bexhill-on-sea, although Bexhill has no pier and is not in Kent. Deal in Kent has been suggested since it has a pier and is next to Walmer: possibly the inspiration for the name "Walmington". Another suggestion is the town of Wilmington in Kent.

In reality, outdoor TV scenes were filmed at Thetford, an inland town in Norfolk, thus giving no clue as to the scriptwriters' preferences. The 1971 film moved location to Chalfont St Giles, even further from the coast.
...and I can feel the world is turning...turn around

johninblack

Quote from: "gr8gonzo"In reality, outdoor TV scenes were filmed at Thetford, an inland town in Norfolk

Half an hours drive from where i am now or 20 when running late for a Peel gig..........
"F#?K OFF, GRANDAD!!!!"

L33VEY

Quote from: "Jem"BTW, I don't think the entire CD is defunct, Jerry did say there's a chance it can all be cleared (bar Fanfare) at some point later this year. Lawyers are an imperious bunch and have no concept of something as petty as a publishing deadline.  :roll:

So plenty of time to knock out another of your ELP favourites?  Not Hoedown clearly.... ;)
Currently playing in The Frost*mobile:  Frost* Day and Age

Pedro

Nutrocker might be a good one?