And the award for the most dreadful album cover ever...

Started by Ben Y-S, January 06, 2011, 04:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecosse

| Chris |
Twitter

Jamyu

Yeah, I've come across quite a few, perhaps I'm in the minority :D

Mouse

:shock:  :shock:  It was that cover with that cow that got the album to Number 1 in 1970! How very dare you! I will not hear a word against any work done by Mr. Thorgerson, understand? Yes, I'm a bit of a fanboy.  :lol:

MarkOneMusic

Surely this:

Has to be up there with the worst:
And yes Mouse, it's another from the Hipgnosis stable :lol:

rogerg

Quote from: "MarkOneMusic"Surely this:

strange cover, but a great album.  (although that's not a universal opinion...)  8-)

David

Strange as it seems, I always found this one not pretty :

owen

That's unfair. It does represent the quality of the music :D

rogerg

Quote from: "owen"That's unfair. It does represent the quality of the music :D

and how did he get John Mitchell's pants?     :lol:

L33VEY

Quote from: "Mouse":shock:  :shock:  It was that cover with that cow that got the album to Number 1 in 1970! How very dare you! I will not hear a word against any work done by Mr. Thorgerson, understand? Yes, I'm a bit of a fanboy.  :lol:

I've just secured my ticket for this:

http://www.britishmusicexperience.com/thorgerson/

Looks like a belter....
Currently playing in The Frost*mobile:  Frost* Day and Age

Trapezium Artist

Quote from: "rogerg"
Quote from: "MarkOneMusic"Surely this:

strange cover, but a great album.  (although that's not a universal opinion...)  8-)

As an astronomer, I'm here to represent the great majority of the Universe, and I can but cast its proxy opinion in exactly the same direction as Rog: a greatly under-appreciated album with some excellent songs (Future Times/Rejoice and On The Silent Wings Of Freedom for a start), albeit not well-produced.  

And as a Devonian, I must also speak up on the part of Yes Tor, second highest peak on Dartmoor.

MarkOneMusic

Quote from: "Trapezium Artist"As an astronomer, I'm here to represent the great majority of the Universe, and I can but cast its proxy opinion in exactly the same direction as Rog: a greatly under-appreciated album with some excellent songs (Future Times/Rejoice and On The Silent Wings Of Freedom for a start), albeit not well-produced.  

And as a Devonian, I must also speak up on the part of Yes Tor, second highest peak on Dartmoor.

Oh I think conceptually 'Yes Tor' had the potential to be a great album, as you said there are some great songs on there... unfortunately there are the little matters of 'Don't Kill the Whale' and even worse, "Circus of Heaven'

Then there is the PolyMoog, which is all over this, in it's weedy shrill glory (Shudder)

And as you point out, the production. Which the latest remasters don't really address.

However by 'Silent Wings' it just about redeems itself.

Ben Y-S

Yeah, I complained about the album artwork when it came out, but their new single Faster seems to have helped to redeem themselves slightly. From first listen, it sounds pretty brilliant, and I'm glad, because I was getting rather worried. =P And the single artwork is a lot more professional than the album's, if only it was the other way round...

MikeEvs

Quote from: "Ben Y-S"Yeah, I complained about the album artwork when it came out, but their new single Faster seems to have helped to redeem themselves slightly. From first listen, it sounds pretty brilliant, and I'm glad, because I was getting rather worried. =P And the single artwork is a lot more professional than the album's, if only it was the other way round...

Listening to the single again for the 2nd time and it doesn't really sounds like Within Temptation to me, it sounds like a deliberate attempt to sound more commercial almost like recent Bon Jovi not good Bon Jovi either, between this and the album cover I'm going to hold off on buying tickets for their November gigs until I've heard the whole album

Ben Y-S

Quote from: "MikeEvs"
Quote from: "Ben Y-S"Yeah, I complained about the album artwork when it came out, but their new single Faster seems to have helped to redeem themselves slightly. From first listen, it sounds pretty brilliant, and I'm glad, because I was getting rather worried. =P And the single artwork is a lot more professional than the album's, if only it was the other way round...

Listening to the single again for the 2nd time and it doesn't really sounds like Within Temptation to me, it sounds like a deliberate attempt to sound more commercial almost like recent Bon Jovi not good Bon Jovi either, between this and the album cover I'm going to hold off on buying tickets for their November gigs until I've heard the whole album

I can see what you mean, it's not really them, but from what I heard of the other song they've released, Where is the Edge, didn't really stand out to me after listening to it, whereas this did, so I can't complain. The sound is rather reminiscent of Delain in places...